Web developers/Designers - How much would you quote this job at?

Caporegime
Hey,

Just a hypothetical question, I am not a freelancer doing this job and trying to figure out what I should I charge, I know what I would charge a job like this at but just curious to see what ballpark others say.

Basically it would be an estate agents website where people can browse properties for sale/rent in a certain area. There is an historic existing site that does but needs to be redesigned.

Properties can be sorted by min/max price/keywords and number of bedrooms. These properties can be viewed on a large zoomed out view on Google maps to give an idea of locations and also local schools in the area.

Each property can be viewed on a map and street view.

The properties are fed into a MySQL database from the estate agents property management system via a JSON request at set intervals, this is then stored in the DB.

There’s a content management system attached for editing content such as about the team and other non property pages totalling 10 pages max.

There’s also a system to generate a weekely PDF brochure from the properties for sale which is sent out via email, that’s all handled outside the site. The PDF is just generated via a script that then builds the PDF from the info provided into templates that already exist, the only requirement is to build the system that takes the info stored in the DB and output it to the PDF, hope that makes sense.

The site also requires code improvement from MySQL to MySQLI and has to be in a responsive design which the current site is not.

I think that covers it all, so what would you/your place quote that as a piece of work at?

Sgarrista
Commissario
How long would it take you?

Do you plan on using a particular CMS?

Are you going to be using existing templates or completely hand coding it?

Are you designing it or is the design done?

Literally sounds like generic wordpress estate agent website + a tiny bit of custom code.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Without knowing what the custom code is like id do it as an hourly-rate or day-rate job to cover myself if it turns out to be horrendous.

Caporegime
OP
And just as a rough idea what would you think a job like that would be?

I’m not looking to rip your costs off lol, the jobs been quoted by my work, I’m just curious if they’ve massively undersold it.

Last edited:
Associate
Old code seems like a bit of an unknown here - would do the whole lot on hourly/day rate if I could for that reason. Since I know nobody trusts hourly rate and always assumes the dev is just going to drag it out as much as possible, I'd split this into two stages:

Design and build of general CMS pages (inc. installing CMS), and then design and STATIC BUILD ONLY of property search pages (no database interactions for these yet) on a project price , and they'd probably be looking at about 4-5k.

Update and integrate existing code with new designs - would push to do this on a day rate because of the unknown legacy code involved. I'd explain to them that project prices need to include enough buffer to cover a worst case scenario - and in this case since the code is unknown, that's a rebuild of the entire system. Probably not necessary, but I can't risk making a loss because of someone else's sloppy code. Day rate here would ensure you pay for the work you need and no more.

Sgarrista
Commissario
And just as a rough idea what would you think a job like that would be?

I’m not looking to rip your costs off lol, the jobs been quoted by my work, I’m just curious if they’ve massively undersold it.

Redesign, change to clients requirements, code to static responsive html: 2-3k
Integrate into CMS: Assuming it has a solid not-retarded system: 1.5-2k
Update 3rd party code: Hourly at £60 per hour

Thats on the lean side if everything is smooth sailing.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Worked at a place that would have charged £1200-1500 for something like that. They already had prerequisites for doing most of the requirements and already had the server side stuff in place due to already working with a large number of agents. All bespoke, but property results built off the basic prerequisite templates to match the website and then edited if client requested (to save time).

Soldato
Redesign, change to clients requirements, code to static responsive html: 2-3k
Integrate into CMS: Assuming it has a solid not-retarded system: 1.5-2k
Update 3rd party code: Hourly at £60 per hour

Thats on the lean side if everything is smooth sailing.

Similar to what I was thinking - £5K mark.

I'd be covering my backside big time working with an old bespoke system. Could be a massive time sink and I'd be making that clear as day.

Back
Top Bottom