Webcam for monitoring dog...advice needed

Soldato
The puppy will not be home alone all day...for a maximum of 4 hours and thats only once it's settled into a routine and housebroken.

The webcam is more me to get an understanding of his behaviors while were out. If he isnt playing with certain toys, or not going to the toilet in the correct area. Things like that.

Thanks for the responses.
I wouldn't leave any dog under a year old alone for any great length of time unless it's your bed time. Doing so is wrong and bordering on cruelty in my opinion as the first year of bonding with your dog can really do wonders for your relationship with the animal.

I don't really see the point in a live, or even recorded, camera and I think that it's almost crueller on the animal as it won't receive praise or dismay until later on - which can and will easily confuse it with other behaviours. If he isn't playing with his toys or going to the toilet in the right correct corner, so what - will he be punished for something he's forgotten about when you come home?

I'm not saying you should on top of your dog for the first year, but I do think you should have people around him to constantly keep checks on what he's up to. The first year is most probably when the dog will want to explore and test boundaries with its leaders and this can and probably will involve "cheeky" or bad behaviour. Obviously when you go to sleep you make the dog feel secure, but even then I wouldn't bother with a camera.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I used a D-Link mydlink DCS-932L, no subscription fees, Android app is good. FTP/email motion sensor, night vision etc. No PTZ though.
I got it on offer for £20, they're about £30 now.

That's the same camera I bought last. Works great and the app is very easy to setup and use. I'd recommend it also.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the mostly constructive advice.

I ended up setting up my tablet with an IP Webcam app and then linked that to the Ivideon app which I have on my phone.

It works great and has lots of feature including sleep and wake and motion detection.

A mini dachshund only needs a maximum of 30 mins exercise a day so a brisk walk in the morning and evening will tire him out for sure. :)

Soldato
I wouldn't leave any dog under a year old alone for any great length of time unless it's your bed time. Doing so is wrong and bordering on cruelty in my opinion as the first year of bonding with your dog can really do wonders for your relationship with the animal.

What?? So leaving the puppy alone during the night for more than 4 hours is fine, but not during the day?? You wont be interacting with the dog during sleep so what is the difference?

Don't get me wrong, I think any more than 3/4 hours for a puppy or any dog for that matter is not fair on the dog but seriously..

Back
Top Bottom