Website features that appeal to female visitors?

Soldato
I was considering posting this in the programming forum, but I don't want a tech answer to this I just want a layman's view on the subject.

I'm building a simple website which is primarily aimed at a female audience. I have all the expected features of the website planned out, but I was wondering if there were any specific features of websites that females tend to like or enjoy more than male visitors?

Maybe female visitors prefer more images? Or more ability to communicate with the website owner? I'm guessing here at this point.

The website is just a standard e-commerce website with a focus on female visitors. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding anything that women tend to like? It is an entirely custom website which means I can implement just about any feature within reason.

Soldato
Since you posted in gd.... From what I know about what would attract men to a Web site... To attract women you need A man's doodad and plums, an overclocked pc and a gun all on the first page... Maybe something exploding as well...

I admit I don't know females well

Permabanned
They like to put pictures of their butts on instagram, so maybe some of that. Like "I'm a lifter ladybro, I need lifter sizes".

Women also think they're always right, so you must not under any circumstances have any validation on any of your fields.

They also only buy things for social standing vs other women. So whatever it is you want them to be able to brag about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
As much as the usual GD responses aren’t hilarious…

Take a look at the likes of ASOS, Boohoo and Pinterest — see what they have in common and see if there’s anything you can replicate. These are all successful websites with a large female user base.

These guys spend a fortune on UX and UI so borrowing from the experts isn’t a bad starting point.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
GD doesn't disappoint :).

Although I would say that vibrators appeal to some men as well you sexist gits :D.

Good call on Asos and Boohoo. I know this might make me sound like a bit of a dinosaur but I've honestly never even seen Pinterest. Might have to make an account to check it out.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Css3 animations that make ui elements vibrate would be a good jumping off point.

Soldato
I was considering posting this in the programming forum, but I don't want a tech answer to this I just want a layman's view on the subject.

I'm building a simple website which is primarily aimed at a female audience. I have all the expected features of the website planned out, but I was wondering if there were any specific features of websites that females tend to like or enjoy more than male visitors?

Maybe female visitors prefer more images? Or more ability to communicate with the website owner? I'm guessing here at this point.

The website is just a standard e-commerce website with a focus on female visitors. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas regarding anything that women tend to like? It is an entirely custom website which means I can implement just about any feature within reason.

It's the same as a regular website, but has a picture of Henry Cavil or Chris Hemsworth in the margins.

You're welcome.

Soldato
Women also think they're always right, so you must not under any circumstances have any validation on any of your fields.

This from the gender that can't ask directions!

Though I suppose it drove the invention of the satnav.

Okay. You appear to actually be serious, so I'll give you a serious answer: No. The only vague tendency you could pick out would be that men tend to go to a site or shop to get the thing they want and just want to focus on getting it; and women somewhat tend to browse more and pick and choose. So you could play with having more items on the screen / more search results and women might vaguely like that more whilst men might vaguely prefer less "distraction". But it's a hopelessly broad stereotype and going to be a miss nearly as often as a hit.

So more usefully, instead of asking what women prefer to men in an e-commerce website, ask why it's going to be primarily aimed at women and work with that specific subset. Is it lingerie? Great - throw up oodles of results on every page because people don't go there thinking "I want this specific thing", they go there thinking "I want to pick something out." Is it because it's organizing hen nights? Then structure it to easily pick out by cost and party size. There are lots of reasons why your site might be primarily visited by women. And most of those reasons yield different priorities even though they're all aimed at "women".

Back
Top Bottom