Wedding (RAW)

Associate
It was either giving the bride away, or making the video... they were our options.. so we decided that I would do the video and someone else would have the honour of giving away the bride.

It was hard working at a wedding where you are related to the Bride and Groom.. and I had some extra pressure as I was shooting RAW...(It's very stable but can still have issues)

Anyway, the lenses on used where the new Sigma 35 1.4, Tamron 24-70 VC 2.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 Canon 16-35 2.8mk2

https://vimeo.com/91453872

Associate
Very good, when you say shooting in RAW, I'm assuming 5D MKIII & magic lantern?

Is that just a steady hand, software stabilization or a steadicam gimbal thing? (I know nothing about shooting video apart from I need to learn to shoot more of it on holiday! :)

Associate
OP
Thank you very much for the kind words guys...

To answer Genoma..Yes ML_raw!!

I use a bunch of different stabilisers, from the monopod to hand held rigs to the Steadicam rig, etc.... I dont just do weddings so I have to have a wide range of equipment. If I was going on holiday and I could only take one stabilser, my go to is the monopod.... I love the movement of the Steadicam, but the monopod is my weapon of choice.. :D.. have fun on holiday!

Associate
I must venture out and play with video a little bit, any pointers? All I have is a canon 650D!

What are you using for editing, I assume it's not Movie Maker? :)

Soldato
Couple of moments of missed focus and a few shots definitely needed grading but in general very nice work. Groom looked a lot less happy than she did though!

Associate
OP
I noticed the missed focus on a few shots and they could have been swapped out, but I kind of liked the overall feel...so I left them in.

Every shot was graded... but rather than throw on a "look" across the video, or over sections, I decided that this needed to be subtle, The room where they got married was extremely dark so I was shooting at 3200 ISO... what shots to you look like they needed grading?.. Im just curious to hear your thoughts...

I laughed about the comment made about the groom, if you look at the video with they eyes of someone who doesn't know the groom, he looks totally bemused, but to those who know him, they could see how nervous and emotional he was about the whole thing. thanks for the feedback anyway...

Cheers guy!!

Oh and Genoma... I use Adobe....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
With video I think you can get away with missed focus very easily because it's video, always in motion so it's not something so easily picked up on. I like the video! That's the kind of thing we're aiming for once my video skills are at a level that I'm comfortable to produce work with. It's pretty clear the groom isn't too comfortable on his own in front of the camera but that's just the way it is I suppose!

That gulp from the groom at 1:15 ish mark, seen that all too many times :D

What steadicam (model) do you use by the way? I've been on a long term mission to make one DIY but something that feels natural attached to the body compared to all other versions out in shops - The goal is to make it feel like it's a part of your body as opposed to something you're holding around which gets tiresome especially when large glass is attached (had the FlyCam for a while).

Also do you use any follow focus attachments?

Associate
OP
Thanks mrk

I have a Steadicam vest and sled.. so I dont have any issues regarding the weight. I can happily wear it all day very comfortably. I don't use a follow focus, because I like to hold the focus barrel..feels more comfortable for me.

I like doing weddings, they can be fun, but with the amount of gear I need to take with me they can also be exhausting..I envy photographers :D !!

Associate
OP
IMG_1799.jpg

Very similiar.. although I dont have the SmallHD monitor, I use the live view screen

Soldato
I'll start saying that I only watched the first minute then skipped through...

Is it just me or are there a lot of, as we PC gamers say "jaggies" along edges?

from what I've seen the lighting, story telling etc looks great, but the weird effect with edges puts me off sitting at watching the whole thing

Back
Top Bottom