Wednesday Nights Game.- England - Croatia *SPOILERS*

Caporegime
_44248782_mcclarenlaugh270.jpg

^ What Mcclaren will be doing when the FA give him the boot.

Permabanned
Have to disagree there, the FA never wanted McClaren, they knew he wasn't good enough, if they did want him, and thought he was good enough, they would not have offered the job to someone else (Scolari in this case), he would have been appointed Manager straight away, but after Scolari said yes, then later said no, the FA paniced and said "****, what do we do now, **** we'll have to give it to McClaren as we've got no one else". :)

Rubbish, McLaren was always going to get the England job after being at Man U and being Svens second in hand, Scolari would have never taken the job due to the media, which can force you to play players like McLaren folded and brought back Beckham, he should have never of dropped him.

Soldato
Crouchs goal, one of the best ive seen him score. Quite impressed actually.

Im glad England didnt qualify tbh.
Im not saying that to be controversial, nor because i hate England (because i dont), but prehaps now they will get that kick up the rear they need.
Get rid of that complex that they have.
With the players that England have at their disposal, they should be doing FAR better.
But they constantly underachieve, and 90% of the squad dont fight as hard as they should do. Expecting it to be just them turning up to win.

Associate
cant blame mclaren

people who are under qualified/expierienced blag manager jobs all the time in other fields of work

hes took the FA for the mugs that they are

Spot on. He lucked out getting that job, the only fans who were happy were the Boro' fans he was leaving. The man management skills of a whelk, bless him, I think it might be goodnight Vienna.

Soldato

Im not saying that to be controversial, nor because i hate England (because i dont), but prehaps now they will get that kick up the rear they need.
With the players that England have at their disposal, they should be doing FAR better.
But they constantly underachieve, and 90% of the squad dont fight as hard as they should do. Expecting it to be just them turning up to win.

EXACTLY how I feel.

Associate
Just want to say that as much as i love Liverpool, i'm feeling quite ashamed of some of their fans right now. Have been reading some of the Liverpool forums as i normally do and the hatred towards the England team and generally anywhere/anything/anybody outside of Liverpool is something i will never fully understand, although i would suggest that the root cause evolves around politics and in particular Maggie Thatcher. It would not make any difference if i was to apologise for these people who will always carry this chip on their shoulder but i would like to say that i am from Liverpool and we are not all like that.

Like most English people, i'm frustrated and annoyed that we haven't qualified (how dare they make my 5yr old son cry!) but we do have to stop considering ourselves as superior and start looking at how we can learn from other much more successful nations.

Soldato
Steve McClaren can be sacked under a cut-price compensation deal next month thanks to a get-out clause the FA board inserted in his contract.

McClaren could go after the Croatia game on November 21 if, as expected, England fail to qualify for Euro 2008.

Although his deal was initially announced as a four-year contract, members of the FA board insisted on a break clause in the summer of 2008, following the fiasco that saw Sven Goran Eriksson paid about £5 million in compensation.

McClaren is entitled to a year's salary as pay-off — about £2.5m. But the FA would only pay him up until the break clause next summer, reducing that to about £1.4m.

And should McClaren get another job before next June, the FA would only have to make up any shortfall compared with his England salary.

Caporegime
So? The rules suggest that you cannot hold on to another players shirt ... I can't see why you can't understand that? From the replays I saw, i couldn't see Defoe holding the other guys shirt, but will have to see it again to be sure.

It was a breach of the rules, and such, a penalty. End of discussion.

I will say that it was a ridiculous challenge by the Croatian, because it was coming to nothing.

so as long as both players are fouling each other, its a penalty because an england player was involved. defoe was 100% certainly holding onto the shirt of the croatian and he went down because he slipped or dived. it was still soft, but in the end, it didn't get us into the cup so who gives a crap.

Until we get a manager that will ignore what a large portion of the public thinks and picks his own team we won't win a cup, its THAT simple.

picking the 11 best players hasn't ever worked. 11 best players for THAT TEAM isn't the same as the best 11 english players in the premiership. until a manager can understand that we have no shot.

i'll say this as i said in another thread, arsenal vs man u, giggs and evra are class, in great form and a great partnership this and last year. arsenal eboue, i think he can be a fantastic winger, but he isn't yet, but we played him and sagna and for the first time i've seen this year giggs/evra weren't in the game, completely pushed out of the game by a very strong, still attacking and very good defensively right wing. took off eboue and literally within 30 seconds giggs and evra sparked to life, and not many minutes later setup a goal after completely changing the game.

there was a balance of attack and defense there and it worked perfectly while eboue was on the pitch. england need to play a balanced side, which we haven't in a long time.

I also couldn't name a single side in the history of football that has played well with 4 playmakers in midfield, and most likely will never find a team that plays well like that.

99% of successful clubs have a single designated playmaker in midfield, a couple clubs have gotten along ok with 2, but anymore and no one knows where to play from, where to run, where to be, who to pass to.

SCM

SCM

Associate
The main difference between Scotland and England is England might have the better players due to where they play but they just don't perform as a team often enough. I said this in a summing up of the England team before the last World Cup on the old 606 forums and nothing has changed in the last 2 years. If anything they have gone backwards since Sven left if that was even possible.

I have no clue who would or if any manager could turn this lack of team work and lack of passion around without a long time in the job.

Still this might be the wake up call for the media, the FA and those who have thought in the past England just needed to turn up to win that it isn't all rosy. Scotland had to go through this in the past and now it's Englands turn you just have to hope you can get the right manager as we did.

SCM

Soldato

Some good points there !!

I don't think the england team show any respect whatsoever to the oposition & thats one of thier major failings imo

How on earth the players could'nt get motivated for a home game of that size is beyond me.

Full credit to croatia though,they did play some good stuff

Rob

Soldato
Petric's goal is the best thing that's happened to England in the last few years.

I wont miss England not being in the finals but will miss the atmosphere, wont be the same round here, will be similar to the Womens WC... will just pass on by. I just hope the BBC and ITV will still show extensive coverage of the whole tournament and try to show every game again.

Ian Wright made my night, his face. :D:D

Caporegime
Steve McClaren can be sacked under a cut-price compensation deal next month thanks to a get-out clause the FA board inserted in his contract.

McClaren could go after the Croatia game on November 21 if, as expected, England fail to qualify for Euro 2008.

Although his deal was initially announced as a four-year contract, members of the FA board insisted on a break clause in the summer of 2008, following the fiasco that saw Sven Goran Eriksson paid about £5 million in compensation.

McClaren is entitled to a year's salary as pay-off — about £2.5m. But the FA would only pay him up until the break clause next summer, reducing that to about £1.4m.

And should McClaren get another job before next June, the FA would only have to make up any shortfall compared with his England salary.

he's on 2.5mil ayear? ffs, do they learn. the sven thing was bad enough, considering sven had a mediocre record compared to a lot of world class managers he was overpaid, going out and giving a unproven, unqualified clown 2.5mil a year, and a 4 year contract, its ridiculous. at most he should have had a 2 year contract, and at a much lower wage. we're paying for it afterall.

how can he look that depressed during a game when should he get fired he'll , on top of what he's earned, collect a pay off of more than most people earn in a lifetime, for failing. the FA just hand our money out like theres no tomorrow.

Soldato
Bottlers, the ****ing lot of them.

I thought we might do it when it was 2-2, but in honesty did we deserve it? Did we ****.

The sooner they get rid of McClown the better, diabolical.

Permabanned
TBH i'm glad we (England) didn't quality as the whole England Team structure needs a major overhaul. For many years we've been struggling as a national team and now this is the wake up we need.

The manager needs changing, along with certain backroom staff, also certain players need dropping as they have become too big for their boots. England needs a new manager who will not take no crap, who will stick to a structured formation (like most successful teams) and give our players the international technicial attributes that they need.

Tonight Crouch was our best player, as for Bridge & Lescott, they were our worse of a bad bunch.

Back
Top Bottom