Weeks Winter sun in December - last min or book now?

Soldato
Me and the Mrs want a weeks hol somewhere in December this year for some Winter sunshine (either 10-17th or 17th-24th roughly) and was wondering if last minute deals really exist any more?

We've had a look on Thomson, First Choice, Thomas Cook etc as we just want an all inclusive package deal for simplicity's sake and there's some alright deals to Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura and even to Cape Verde.

Just wondering though if there is any point in waiting until like a couple weeks before and trying to book somewhere or if we should just book it now?

Permabanned
Have thought about cape verde for a winter getaway. Is the wind a problem if you just enjoy lazing on the beach or can you find some sheltered spots?

Soldato
Me, my wife and 19 month old have booked Fuerteventura for a week (30th Nov-7th Dec) self catering for shy over £430 with Thomson. That was booked month ago iirc. We looked at Cape Verde but thought that extra time flying might not be the best for little one as he has to be on our laps. Next year he will have his own seat so longer flights 'may' be better for him.

Soldato
OP
I think Fuerteventura or Gran Canaria is going to be the best shout for us to keep it relatively cheap. Cape Verde looks lovely but its a good £150-£200 more per person, plus you also have to pay for a visa on arrival and a tourist tax too!

Going to see what deals I can find for Fuerte or Gran Canaria!

Soldato
Have thought about cape verde for a winter getaway. Is the wind a problem if you just enjoy lazing on the beach or can you find some sheltered spots?

I was there for 10 days and we didn't experience any strong winds. No rain either, just 10 days of glorious 32c sunshine.

Depending which resort you visit, there may well be sheltered areas. I was in Melia Dunis and shelter was available but it was only ever used to escape the heat. No strong winds, just a gentle breeze now and again.

May still have a few pano's if you're interested?

Soldato
Taken back in June...

33tikbl.jpg

I was amazed at how clear the sea was, nothing like what you get in the UK, well...depends where you are I guess.

Soldato
OP
Taken back in June...

33tikbl.jpg

I was amazed at how clear the sea was, nothing like what you get in the UK, well...depends where you are I guess.

Looks fantastic. We may end up plumping for Cape Verde if we can justify it. Its the added visas and resort taxes which put me off Cape Verde. Gonna have a look and probs book something tonight!

Soldato
To be honest when we looked at cape Verde we were slightly put off by the lack of 'things' to do. Yeah granted it seems just a beach holiday and not much of any sights to go an see (we did not look to much into the history etc). I know someone who has been and they said it was nice but empty, like someone stuck a big hotel on a sand dune. :p

It is something we will consider next time.

Soldato
And Gran Canaria has some something to see? Its a massive rock.

Thought about lanzarote? Playa Blanca is nice.

Well it has a water park, zoo and... stuff:p Come on, I am taking my lad he likes water and animals. (probably got those on the CV islands but like I said I ahve not really read up a great deal on that location)

Soldato
OP
Ended up getting a weeks all-inclusive for £350 each including baggage, transfers etc. 12th-19th December at what looks to be a fairly decent hotel in Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria.

Happy with that to be honest!

Soldato
OP
That does sound good from a price point of view, we paid about that price per person about ten years ago somewhere in that resort, from 27th Dec- 3rd Jan IIRC.

Yeh the hotel seems to be decent enough aswell and has just this year been renovated so all positives on that front. To be honest as long as I can grab a beer whenever I want and the weather is warmer than here then it'll be a good week :)

Soldato
I'd have been looking to book 1-3 months ago. Christmas time is crazy expensive for many routes.

Never done a last minute package holiday.

Have a read of http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-holiday-haggling-guide especially under #1 for the list of sites to check.
Also they reckon 8-10 weeks before is a sweet spot. Again, not sure these kinds of rules are quite right at Christmas time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It must have been the date we chose wasn't a particularly popular one as going for departures before or after the 12th either side sent the price up by silly money. Up to over double for nearer Christmas, bonkers!

Its good we're quite flexible in when we can go away.

Back
Top Bottom