Weight Loss Advice

Associate
Who says walking on a treadmill at 4km/h or doing lat pull downs is pointless? ;)

You'd probably need to of just come out of a 25 year coma and hardly be able to walk to be weak enough for either to be optimal difficulties, but certainly 5/6mph very slow jogging when you're out of shape will get the heart beating in the optimal zone for left ventricle hypertrophy as well as other cardiovascular changes. Infact marathon runners do this the vast majority of the time as it's the best way of adapting these changes and only supplement this with a bit of plyometric and threshold training. Now they don't go at 6mph but more like 10+ to be in the right heart rate zone, but the more normal people do this the faster they'll need to go to maintain the same HR and this is what improves the Cardiovascular system more than anything else.

As for lat pulldowns it could be effective at lower than 1rm intensities when done certain ways for those unable to do pull-ups. Primarily for certain forms of muscular endurance as one thing bodybuilders have from all those high rep, low intensity exercises is certain good forms of muscular endurance. They probably lack the cardio to realize it, but it's there. bicep curls serve very little purpose no matter the weight.

The main point I'm making is HIIT on it's own is retarded in most situations, especially considering a good percentage of high level S&C coaches themselves don't get their athletes to do it correctly from what I've seen so what hope have the rest of us got?
in a well balanced routine interval training can be very effective but there are certain other prerequisites and it has to be based on the individuals needs to target specific weaknesses. This goes for everything, not just HIIT. You wouldn't do star jumps to improve your maximal strength, just like you wouldn't Squat your 1rm to improve your cardio output. everyone knows this to some extent but not for HIIT thats developing into a magical cure-all that it simply isn't. This isn't aimed at you, but more a general thing of the fitness industry and you just happen to be here for me to rant at.

I agree normal cardio can be very dull, hence why I am yet to do mine for the day:( If you think outside of the box then it doesn't have to be monotonous as there's many things that can be done so a 15 minutes of a few different things and you can easily build up a 60-90 minute session.

Associate
I'm interested in YOUR reasoning, not someone else's copy/pasted as to why crossfit is crap.

Not sure who this is directed at but my reasoning is more or less inline with Mrthingy's or rather this point in particular:

other bits of it are not well thought-out

none of it is well thought out. You will never reach a high level of anything doing crossfit as once you reach a certain point you can't increase maximal strength, power, alactic anaerobic, lactic anaerobic and aerobic (power and capacity for each) all at the same time which it attempts to do so you need to periodize them and focus on one or two while maintaining the rest.

It is also way too lactic for anyone's needs.

It seems to jump from one thing to another between sessions the same way someone will jump from one program to another and never see any improvement in anything.

Doing both strength and conditioning work in the same session which it appears to do just ***** over both and you won't see any improvement in either.

Most of the things I've seen crossfit guys doing in video's is not optimized to improving specific anatomical changes and it just seems to be if you work hard you'll get gains in the same way as if you run really fast you'll get faster at running.

I could literally write a book on everything thats wrong with crossfit. The one thing it seems to have going for it is it motivates people to compete with each other and any exercise is better than none.

Man of Honour
Not sure who this is directed at but my reasoning is more or less inline with Mrthingy's or rather this point in particular:

none of it is well thought out. You will never reach a high level of anything doing crossfit as once you reach a certain point you can't increase maximal strength, power, alactic anaerobic, lactic anaerobic and aerobic (power and capacity for each) all at the same time which it attempts to do so you need to periodize them and focus on one or two while maintaining the rest.

It seems to jump from one thing to another between sessions the same way someone will jump from one program to another and never see any improvement in anything.

Doing both strength and conditioning work in the same session which it appears to do just ***** over both and you won't see any improvement in either.

Most of the things I've seen crossfit guys doing in video's is not optimized to improving specific anatomical changes and it just seems to be if you work hard you'll get gains in the same way as if you run really fast you'll get faster at running.

I could literally write a book on everything thats wrong with crossfit. The one thing it seems to have going for it is it motivates people to compete with each other and any exercise is better than none.

This is me not disagreeing.

However, cardio is still dull. Unless it's as the only bloke on a women's hockey team. ;)

Caporegime

Crossfit isn't about maximal strength or pure endurance, so not sure where you are coming from there.

Never see improvement? Have a look on any busy crossfit forum or website and you will see people's WOD times coming down, people trying harder versions of WODs etc.

Please write the book, I for one would be interested on knowing why something that is encouraging compound and decent weightlifting exercises and increasing people's fitness is a bad thing.
Also the sheer amount crossfit is growing, just look at the prize money in the bigger comps, kinda says it is not something 'wrong' and near on pointless.

Soldato
If your a normal guy and don't enjoy weightlifting, power lifting or doing intense cardio sessions. Chances are you will fall off the band wagon and wont continue. It's incredibly difficult to do something for a prolonged period of time you don't enjoy. While all the advice above is amazing and 100% correct. I doubt your average fat bloke (no offence intended at all) is going to stick it out for years unless it's something they enjoyed doing. Most people who just want to get fit don't enjoy weight lifting or intense cardio.

My advice would be to find a sport you enjoy playing, football, badminton, golf even. The chances of you sticking to this is a lot higher than pure fitness based activities. You get fit and are having fun at the same time. Swimming even with kids or nephews etc. Your getting fit without knowing it.

With regards to diet... it's the same. No one is going to stick to eat egg whites and cups of brown rice with dry chicken every night unless you're an olympic athlete. Just eat sensibly, cut out the junk, eat 3-5 small/medium meals per day and snack on fruit. All the sensible things that everyone knows. Avoid hidden sugars in "fat free" food and your laughing.

I'd also suggest finding a few healthy recipes that are super easy, you can cook and you do actually enjoy eating.

P.S. I "used" to be HUGEEE!!!! Went from 133KG to 95KG in 6-7 months doing the above.

Man of Honour
HIIT done properly is great at accelerating fat loss, with a decent diet (i.e. not in calorie surplus). HIIT done poorly is just more "cardio". HIIT is really what it says short high intensity training to get your heart in the lactate point. Calorie surplus will not help you lose weight/fat.

Add to that a good compound lifting routing even only 3 days a week and you've got a good combination. Personally I don't like crossfit, but that doesn't mean to say that big compound lifts 3x a week, plus 2-3x proper HIIT sessions a week are useless.

Again, as long as your'e not in calorie surplus.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Current plan is cardio (40 mins) 3x per week.

And I've recently been working with a friend (personal trainer) to help with weight training and general advice on technique/posture. Had first session this morning. Killer workout! Almost passed out/threw up to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would put more emphasis on the weights if you enjoy them and eating well (if for purely weightloss).

However this is the best advice, just watch your diet.
My advice would be to find a sport you enjoy playing, football, badminton, golf even. The chances of you sticking to this is a lot higher than pure fitness based activities. You get fit and are having fun at the same time. Swimming even with kids or nephews etc. Your getting fit without knowing it.

Back
Top Bottom