Weight Loss - Doing the right thing?

Associate
Hi guys - I've been going to the gym now for a while but I seem to have hit a wall in terms of weight loss. I think I'm getting enough calories (hopefully not too much) and I think I'm doing the right thing gym wise but I thought I'd post just to make sure and to get any suggestions if I am going horribly wrong!

I started off at about 110/112kg then went down to 105 but i'm at 107 at the mo after Christmas! I've always been a fairly big guy and I'm 6' 4" but would like to about 95kg if that's possible!

So, Food:
I basically eat the following each day-
Breakfast - bowl of cereal (+ glass of fresh orange if i have it in)
Lunch - Either a wholemeal pitta or wholemeal bread with low fat cheese, chicken and a bit of mayo.
Dinner - meat (mainly chicken), veg and say cous cous althought i don't have that every day. I rarely eat pasta and rice. I sometimes have a pizza.
During the day at work, I'll usually have a mid morning/afternoon piece of fruit too.

Booze:
Ok ok...this is my vice. I have been drinking what I consider to be way too much lager (8-10 pints a week) so I've cut down on booze as of this month and drink either wine or maybe a JD if I do go out. Don't know how much this'll help but can't hurt to cut down.

Gym:
I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Usually, I'm there for 1.5 hours but sometimes more.
My workout generally consists of:
5 mins warm up on bike
Runner - 10-15mins on random incline
10 mins Cross Trainer
10 mins Rowing
10 mins Stair Master
then various weights.
I also have core exercises (ab crunches + others) to do but get REALLY bored of these so I've been naughty and not done these for a little while. How effective are these??
I try to mix it up a bit and I've been gradually increasing settings as i get comfortable with them.

Anyway, that's me - am I doing the wrong thing? Any help would be cool! :)

Last edited:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
I would suggest the following changes:

Swap the cereal for porrige oats with some berries and cinnamon mixed in.
Aim for 5 smaller meals per day, not 3 big ones.

Rice is OK for evening meals, but make sure it's brown. You are right to try and avoid pasta.

Gym:

Personally I would do try and go for less time, but more regularly- 5 times per week as a minimum. Keeping the cardio mixed is good in my opinion too. Please can you tell us what 'various weights' are? Could you split the cardio out into seperate sessions from the weights?

The booze is a real killer- obviously no booze is best, but if you must drink, my drink of choice would be Vodka and soda, and as a tip try having a glass of water with each drink to reduce your overall alcohol intake.

Associate
OP
hi guys,
Cheers for the replies guys. I'm not sure of the actual weight names but I do slot the weights into the cardio work. It's normally mid way through then I do another few sets of reps on the hydraulic weights at the end of my session. It's pretty much all arm/chest/back work.

I'll try the porridge oats out and I'll try and split down my gym sessions and also my meals....i don't think i could give up booze i'm afraid :D ....i must be able to still enjoy a night out though (it is only twice a week max, usually less) and make progress in the gym?
One thing I was thinking though, is it worth cutting out beer and drinking only wine/a spirit of choice strictly or would I be better off just cutting down in general and drinking what I want when I do drink....I just heard lager/beer is the worst in terms of calories.

Associate
beers and lagers are loaded with calories i too am trying to lose weight and gain some fitness, the middle age spread has attacked :D. my advice would be to change the drink of choice and try to cut down the amount consumed whilst out if at all possible.
With regards to the gym work. I always found it better to stick at an exercise machine for longer and do less machines, but a different machine each time. Maybe do them in a different order.
I understand that the body does become accustomed to the training, hence the need to up the distance/weight whatever it maybe. So perhaps 1 less machine but more time on the one you are using. Variety is the spice of life ;)

Back
Top Bottom