Weights vs Cardio?

Soldato
Hi

I'm still trying to lose weight, but I feel that doing cardio (execrise bike) hasn't been bnurnt much weight off.

I have started doing weights this week, just free weights and last night I did aprox one hour of bicep curls at 18kg per arm.
Will this help burn belly fat better than cardio?

Associate
Low weights done quickly with long reps burns fat and gains strength. Heavy weights with short reps bulks up and gains muscle.
Combine low weights with various cardio (cardio I vital for weight loss, you have to do it or you won't loose any) treadmill, rowing machine and bike. Swimming is also excellent

Associate
Just to add, walking. Walking might not seem much but it REALLY helps. Get a fit-bit or an equivalent phone app. And just walk, instead getting in the car and going to the shop, get your trainers on and go for a walk instead

Soldato
OP
As for the actual weight, I don't care what I weigh. I just want the belly fat gone. 40" waist isn't good. So if I turn my weight from fat to muscle that is fine by me.

Just want to get into a 34" waist pair of jeans.

Soldato
Weight loss is diet, the saying 'you can't out run a bad diet' is 100% true. While doing weights will burn calories it shouldn't burn more calories as cardio (as long as your going hard enough). Doing 1 hour of bicep curls is a waste of your time really. I would do a full body weight routine with 15 mins HIIT at the end.

Associate
As for the actual weight, I don't care what I weigh. I just want the belly fat gone. 40" waist isn't good. So if I turn my weight from fat to muscle that is fine by me.

Just want to get into a 34" waist pair of jeans.

That's changes things then, healthy diet, cut out fatty and fast food and booze (spirits with juice is fine). Plenty of fresh fruit and veg and sit-ups lots and lots of sit-ups. My Mrs is a fitness instructor and she would say 'do as many as you can when you can, if you don't have time make time' it's going to be hard but if your serious and dedicated you will do it, push yourself, even when you can't be bothered

Don't forgot, you STILL need to do cardio

Soldato
Low weights done quickly with long reps burns fat and gains strength. Heavy weights with short reps bulks up and gains muscle.
Combine low weights with various cardio (cardio I vital for weight loss, you have to do it or you won't loose any) treadmill, rowing machine and bike. Swimming is also excellent

So much wrong with this post :(

Cardio is not vital for weight loss. Low weights done quickly for long reps??!

OP lifting will help you get stronger and build muscle. Being in a calorie deficit will help you lose weight. You can lose weight while lifting but you wont build as much muscle during this time.

Cardio is a tool to help you achieve a calorie deficit, aerobic performance will improve with cardio, so it is entirely dependant on what best suits your time use for exercise.

Man of Honour

That's changes things then, healthy diet, cut out fatty and fast food and booze (spirits with juice is fine). Plenty of fresh fruit and veg and sit-ups lots and lots of sit-ups. My Mrs is a fitness instructor and she would say 'do as many as you can when you can, if you don't have time make time' it's going to be hard but if your serious and dedicated you will do it, push yourself, even when you can't be bothered

Bro pls.

Your mrs needs to have a long hard look at what she's telling people.

Cardio is vital for nothing but cardio performance.

Low weights, long reps and heavy weight, short reps. What does that even mean? Please tell me how the first gains strength yet the second gains muscle.

Man of Honour

This post is incredible...and unfortunately, it highlights the fact that fitness instructors know nothing 99% of the time.

Anyone can get qualified these days, the exams are as difficult as blowing your nose and it means there's people giving advice like this and then wondering why people stop going to the gym. Because they lose motivation when they aren't seeing results by simply eating some veg and doing sit ups in front of the soaps. I hate the fitness industry, I really do.

Soldato
After seeing the above posts, it has explained to me why I see people in the gym do a weight on the bench press machine that's way too easy for them for a million reps. Also agree on the PT things above, way too easy to qualify and many know nothing.

Associate
Ok. Now after seeing the replies to me I thought I would ring my Mrs and then send her screenshots of my message. I was wrong, I thought I new the answer and I should know better to give advice when I myself clearly didn't know the answer. It's the last time I will offer any advice on this matter, I thought some of her knowledge rubbed off on me, is hasn't. OP, I apologise whole heartedly for meddling and giving you naff advice, it's clearly not my place to do so.

Also, guys thanks for posting and putting me in place, if it wasn't for you putting me straight I may of lead the OP down the wrong path.

Good look

Soldato
OP
You can't spot reduce fat, you just have to lose weight until your belly is gone. Depending on your genetics it could be the first thing to go or the last.
I know this, but the point is, most of my excess body fat is on my belly. My arms and legs are still quite thin and lean. So naturalluy I expect the fat to go from where it is in excess first.

As for weights and cardio. I find cardio extremely boring, and I know that many of you will say I need to do it, if I can get away without cardio by doing other things I will try.

As for my arms, they are rather heavy this morning :)

Soldato
OP
This is what I mean by my arms and legs are not massively bulked with fat. And yes I have very skinny hands.

2017-02-28%2010.49.58.jpg

Back
Top Bottom