Weird Things Your Neighbours Do

Soldato
Old man on the bad side of my house rents all his rooms out to lodgers and tries to tell me about how much money he makes... I'm pretty sure the one I call Skelitor has been in that room for the last 40 years and has a wildly unpleasant habit of screaming obscenities out the window at any banging noise. They'll have fun when I re-do the fence in a few weeks.

To be fair all of the neighbours in on the street and behind are amazing people and all really dislike the lodging house, especially after the drug deal incident

Soldato
First is guy opposite who has a double drive but parks his car in a visitors bay.

My old neighbour used to do this. Very strange. He never parked his car on his own driveway, always someone elses. Used to cause no end of arguments. Years later, his wife and kids were taken into some form of a domestic protection. God knows what was going on in his head.

anyway, my neighbour spends days....literally days, hoovering his garage lol

another odd one, the chap across the road reversed his car onto the road, sat there for 2hrs with the engine running before pulling back on and getting out. I know because I could hear the engine, and next morning I had a quick look on the nest cam.

Soldato
You built an extension right up to the boundary?
Indeed.

All other houses on our close are built to the left boundary line with an access path to the right, except us, we have (or had) access on both sides, so just put planning in to go right to the boundary and it flew through.

But since my neighbour struggles with boundary lines and is quite territorial, I managed the situation by persuading him to get his rear single storey extension done at the same time and organised the same architect and builder which reduced costs and even let the builder trash my drive/garden to save them trashing his, he had a couple of wobbles over a drain pipe and my gas pipe, but it was just him being silly.. I got the builder to leave up a permanent boundary string line throughout so he could just see instantly where the boundary was and not fret we might have stolen a couple of mm here and there! It seemed to work!

Associate
The son of the family in the house opposite mine is completely obsessed with his Audi A6. He cleans it and wipes it down every time he uses it and gives it the full works every weekend, taking most of his weekend.

I often see him walking around it after he's got home from work, with his mitt in hand looking for any new 'dust' specs before going inside lol.

I'm all for keeping a clean car or even spending a day detailing it but this guy is next level obsessed.

Caporegime
I live in a flat and there is a communal bin area. It sounds like one of the neighbours likes to dig through the bins for some reason.

Immediate downstairs neighbour has been in his flat a grand total of about 20 times in the last 6.5 years I’ve lived here. Obviously not his main home but I do wonder why he keeps it.
probably migrants they bin dive our communal bins, one of the neighbours often shouts asking why they are reading peoples letters...

Soldato
The son of the family in the house opposite mine is completely obsessed with his Audi A6. He cleans it and wipes it down every time he uses it and gives it the full works every weekend, taking most of his weekend.

I often see him walking around it after he's got home from work, with his mitt in hand looking for any new 'dust' specs before going inside lol.

I'm all for keeping a clean car or even spending a day detailing it but this guy is next level obsessed.
I bet you he's on these forums. I can think of a few names :p

Caporegime
OP
Well, as I was pulling in to my drive last night, driveway man pulled his car out of the bay (which is literally in front of his house) on to his drive to load something in from his garage.
He then drove back off his drive and in to the visitors bay

:confused:

Associate
has he had a brick paved driveway done on the cheap? Ive seen a couple where its started to sink a bit where the wheels go, maybe he's worried about that

Soldato

House down the road has a VW camper on the drive. It is always absolutely spotless, not a spec of dust on it anywhere. They must polish it every other day.

Another house with a couple of new BMWs and a caravan that are all similarly spotless.....although tbf their next door neighbour runs a valeting business, which may have something to do with it.

Soldato
A couple.

One neighbour has a mobile home parked in a visitors bay permanently and it overhangs the curbs with a bike rack so is an accident waiting to happen for unfortunate shins. It also looms over another neighbours garden so is inconsiderate.

My neighbour who I get on with build a garden office on top of his deck. It's right up to our shared fence and sits about 3 foot above the fence. He had asked me about it prior to build and I said just be reasonable as I may not always live here and if he's not in regs then a new owner could object. He didn't really listen. It also has a light on a movement sensor which turns on when I go into my garden when it's a it darker.

Man of Honour
An old neighbour who lives diagonally opposite used to be out every day with his shears cutting his hedge even during winter.
He can't get out of the house now so has to put up with a bloke doing them once a month.

Associate
Must admit that I probably appear to be the weird neighbour (partially) looking at some of the previous posts :o

My car is 18 years old, but I clean it inside and out every weekend regardless of how dirty it has become in the previous seven days. I don't spend hours on it (let alone a day or two), but I just like it clean. I also don't go around it at the end of every day cleaning random bits of normal dirt off, but any bird droppings get cleaned off ASAP because the droppings can damage the paint. I also do the majority of car maintenance myself which probably also appears odd to everyone else as well.

I have two parking spaces, but I actively chose to park my car so it is parked with the 'dividing line' down the middle of the car. This is mostly due to the fact that the neighbour's second parking space is immediately next to one of mine and I don't trust them to be careful around other people's cars and my other parking space has a hedgerow pretty close to it. Most would probably assume that I just can't park properly.

I give the windows downstairs a quick clean on the outside after cleaning the car (so every week) to keep what everyone else can easily see looking presentable. They are still finishing a new housing development on the other side of the aforementioned hedgerow so it doesn't take long for the windows to look dirty on the outside from all of the dust. I clean the windows upstairs once a month or so. Once the construction has finished maybe I'll do all of them less often.

Odd things about my neighbour. He's lived there for two years (house was a new build in 2019, but it took him six months to move in despite buying it immediately) and has never done anything with his garden. Part of being a new build meant that the garden came with a small patio and paving slabs leading to the garden gate, but he has not done anything to it other than cut all of the weeds down once last summer, no turf laid or anything like that. I am not exaggerating when I say some of the weeds were taller than our fence (standard height) and the rest of the weeds were probably as tall as me at just shy of six foot, the weeds are probably up to about two foot again now. He has a similar thing right outside of his front room window for everyone else on the road to see, but he appears to think that these weeds are proper plants/flowers from what I can tell. I'm not in to gardening, but I like the outside of the house (front and back) to look tidy and presentable. Crazy thing is he is a lecturer at a college so gets a hell of a lot more free time than most with summer holidays, etc.. When I last took a parcel in for him (Christmas time) I took it around to him to find he still didn't have flooring down in his entrance/hall way and presumably never has done.

He has cleaned his window(s) once and this was a couple of weeks ago, our outer window sills should be white, but his was genuinely brown in appearance until a couple of weeks ago and I think it is permanently discoloured now. His car gets cleaned outside once every six months if it is lucky, one clean is probably from when it gets serviced and he probably puts special effort in to having someone clean it just before its MOT at a guess. It gets cleaned inside even less than that.

Essentially, I think that we're just polar opposites of each other, and I'm also a curtain twitcher to top it all off :)

Associate
My neighbour once went out at some point in the night and started walking up and down outside the house swinging a couple of fire sticks / fire lanterns or something like that.

I had a camera serup to make sure nobody nicked my delivery of bricks to rebuild the front wall and when I reviewed the footage I was like... What the heck haha.

They seemed pretty normal up to that point lol.

Soldato
My neighbour once went out at some point in the night and started walking up and down outside the house swinging a couple of fire sticks / fire lanterns or something like that.

I had a camera serup to make sure nobody nicked my delivery of bricks to rebuild the front wall and when I reviewed the footage I was like... What the heck haha.

They seemed pretty normal up to that point lol.
Out of interest how does a camera stop bricks getting nicked?

Back
Top Bottom