• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Well done to Nvidia marketing

Associate
AIB's again to blame, instead of producing basic working cards and getting them out there they put £150 coolers on and sell them at £400, it's a joke.

This will be much less of a thing once everything calms down. I doubt prices will ever get back down to Ampere launch levels, but consumers will be much more price-sensitive from here on out, and wasting money on a third fan on a budget card just won't fly when you have a choice between multiple variants of any card you want.

AIBs will have to make money on volume alone, except on very high0end cards.

Caporegime
Some reviewers told their audience to buy the RTX 3050 at up to $450.

Why did they do that when the RX 6600 is in stock at that price at retailers? its 30% faster than the 3050.

What sort of an effect does Nvidia's marketing have for apparently reputable tech journalists like HUB to do that and completely ignore the RX 6600?

Cheapest is £430 for a 6600 (on OCUK, but that is a fair reflection of how cheaply you can get one without going into competitor talk etc).

Pre-order prices on OCUK before they got taken off for the 3050, were sort of between £270 - £370 (+ the handful of £240 cards).

Therefore the price per performance is sort of what you would expect no? If you snag a 3050 at RRP then price/perf wise its much better than what the 6600 is available for.

Yes, the silly scalped prices of £400+ for the 3050 are stupid, but then there are 6600's selling for nearly £500.

You cannot just take the lowest price from one card and compare with the highest price of another. That is not a fair comparison.

Associate
The 3050 at the MSRP was a marketing stunt to make the 6500XT look bad. There won't be any more restock of the "MSRP barebone" versions and all the others will be $100 to $200 more. What other OC card is nearly double the price of its non "OC" variant.

This is a mindshare play by nvidea to sell 3050s at a loss on day 1 release as reviewers will compare against MSRP pricing. It's a total "bait-and-switch".

Whilst the 6500xt isn't great, AMD was honest about it (other than removing the 8GB ram page from their site briefly).

Reviewers should be looking at this.

Caporegime
T
Whilst the 6500xt isn't great, AMD was honest about it (other than removing the 8GB ram page from their site briefly).

Give Over.

They had a limited run of MSRP at £180 as well and then immediately bumped the price to £225 minimum. Then retailers realised no one was buying so had to reduce it down again (Gibbo has even admitted this).

If AMD/Retailers could sell the 6500Xt for over £300 they would, regardless of MSRP. Its just not very good, so even in this market, people will not pay over the odds for it.

Just think about your logic here.

If the 3050 is truly a £240 card (I agree it should be. In fact it should be less), then the 6500Xt which is much slower, has half the vram and limited PCIE lanes should be more like a £100-£150 card.

Everyone is still getting fleeced by AMD just as much as Nvidia.

Associate
AIB's again to blame, instead of producing basic working cards and getting them out there they put £150 coolers on and sell them at £400, it's a joke.

150quid is what rtx 3050 goes before tax..

Now it's probably more, but I doubt it's double and OCUK makes zero money on them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cheapest is £430 for a 6600 (on OCUK, but that is a fair reflection of how cheaply you can get one without going into competitor talk etc).

Pre-order prices on OCUK before they got taken off for the 3050, were sort of between £270 - £370 (+ the handful of £240 cards).

Therefore the price per performance is sort of what you would expect no? If you snag a 3050 at RRP then price/perf wise its much better than what the 6600 is available for.

Yes, the silly scalped prices of £400+ for the 3050 are stupid, but then there are 6600's selling for nearly £500.

You cannot just take the lowest price from one card and compare with the highest price of another. That is not a fair comparison.

One here in stock for £429. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powe...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1ae-pc.html

Even Asus have one for £450 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-47k-as.html

These are bad prices but in performance terms they jump up and down on the RTX 3050. If you can't get one of those for less that £350 they are the better option. (of bad options)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think you miss my point; thanks to pricing, the 3050 is now competeing against the 6600 , which smashes it about, and in many cases against the 6600XT which at times is 100% faster.
You can get a 3060 12GB (brand new in stock) for £489 and that's not shopping around literally just looked on OCUK. So you can't really bring the 6600XT into the equation, at that £450+ price point nobody is going to buy a 3050, they will buy a 3060 12GB if going for Nvidia.

If they are actually buying a 3050 for £450 then you are right their marketing team have worked wonders :)

I bought my son a 3050 for £240 which I appreciate isn't commonly available. But that was very much a 6500XT price point, the issue is the 6500XT just can't be justified at £200, the 3050 whilst expensive by historical standards is at least reasonable by modern standards at the <£250 price point. I wouldn't have bought him one if I was paying over £300 just like I didn't buy him a 6500XT before that as £200 was too much to ask for it and just like I didn't buy him a 6600 for £400. Typically every card is overpriced unless you get lucky with a deal / FE.

If 6600 were under £300 then sure that would have come into consideration too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nah nah man you don't get it, you just DONT get it.

AMD good
nVidia bad

amirite guys?

The opposite is unironically true for the unwashed masses.

Just got my first RT enabled game and all I can say is, is this a con trick? Its barely present in anything other than a few things like reflections in puddles, infact they had to invent a whole thing called DLSS to pre-render data just to claw back some FPS because RT on just mullers fps. I mean is this what eveyone is jabbering on about being so massively superior to non-RT cards? Its embarressing.

Permabanned
Just got my first RT enabled game and all I can say is, is this a con trick? Its barely present in anything other than a few things like reflections in puddles, infact they had to invent a whole thing called DLSS to pre-render data just to claw back some FPS because RT on just mullers fps. I mean is this what eveyone is jabbering on about being so massively superior to non-RT cards? Its embarressing.

It depends on the implementation. Quake 2 RTX does a really good job, as does Metro Exodus Enhanced, CP2077 and The Ascent. The opposite can be said for RE Village and FC6 due to a combination of AMD sponsorship and AMD having terrible RT performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom