• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Well, it finally died. What next?

Soldato
My trusty XFX Radeon HD6970, bought from these very forums has been acting a bit odd recently. Temperatures have sky-rocketed (in some cases over 1000 deg C), which led me to believe there was a sensor issue of some kind. The fan would spin up to max and eventually the PC would just power off. Eventually, this just happened all the time on every boot. Frustratingly, on a good day it would game just fine (albeit a little toasty on temp, but no more than normal).

I contacted XFX, as I assumed from a card I bought (used) in 2012, they couldn't provide any support.

I took the card apart. It wasn't that dusty. The TIM was an absolute mess, all over the chip (not just the IHS) and pretty crusty with limited coverage, so I cleaned it up and applied it fresh stuff. No change. Still reporting silly numbers and eventually powering off. Also, some of the cooler shroud clips broke off in removal, probably as they are thin plastic and gone through may heat cycles. Not easy to stick back on, but most of them went back anyway.

So now I'm out of ideas and have a nice paperweight. My backup card (GForCE 8600GS) is laughably useless, so it begs the question how do I replace the HD6970.

This is my rig, built and not really changed since 2013:

Intel Core i5 2500K stock (was o/c but caused issues a couple of years back).
Corsair Hydro H50 (I think..)
Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz (2x4GB)
XFX Radeon HD6970 (RIP)
Crucial M4 128GB (and some old spinny 1TBs)
Xonar D1
Corsair Obsidian 650D
Corsair HX750W

I actually game a lot less on PC now, have a huge catalogue of mainly sim racing and FPS type games but buy most AAA releases for my PS4 Pro, which gets more use (don't judge). I still want a gaming PC so I can actually use my immense investments in Steam, and will probably move the PC to my gaming room and retire it from general desktop use.

What should I replace the HD6970 with? I was relatively happy with the performance on the games I play, only lack of driver support was becoming an issue.

Should I bother upgrading anything else or is it really starting from scratch? The PC still feels like it performs well in 2018, but I'm happy to have gotten 5 years of use from it with no changes.

Associate
if you're not after the latest and greatest I'd agree with chroniclard, you should be able to pick up a 780ti or 970 for around £100 or less, which would be great paired with the rest of your build for older games. (had a 2500k + 780ti a while back and they served me well together!)

Soldato
I would go for this 570 while it's going at this silly price. Should last you a good while and even into a new build if you were still happy with the 6970. If you really wanted to improve you're machine all i would do is increase the ram to 16gb and get a 2600k/3770k. Overclocked with the extra threads it should still last you a while yet.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...msi-rx-570-8g-159-and-rx-580-8g-199.18835181/

Last edited:
Soldato
The RX 570/RX 580 deals at £159/£199 with 3 free games offer is a no brainier, if you wanted to at least play one of the games, if you don't you can sell one of them and reduce the cost further. If you are looking to upgrade the full system in the future the card can be easily moved, and unless you plan to step to to the £350+ mark on the Graphics front then I think these deals are hard, if not impossible to beat, at the present time. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice; the MSI 570 looks like great value for money! 3 years warranty also appeals to me, since I know it should last at least that long without trouble. Given this will be the first I've spent on the machine for 5 years, it seems worth it. Even draws a lot less power than the HD 6970...

I guess it's probably not worth going to the 580 for my purposes, given most of my games won't push it.

Is anything from the nVidia side comparable at the moment?

Soldato
Thanks for the advice; the MSI 570 looks like great value for money! 3 years warranty also appeals to me, since I know it should last at least that long without trouble. Given this will be the first I've spent on the machine for 5 years, it seems worth it. Even draws a lot less power than the HD 6970...

I guess it's probably not worth going to the 580 for my purposes, given most of my games won't push it.

Is anything from the nVidia side comparable at the moment?

Nothing Nvidia has atm is even close to these deals. AMD cards were not even close to this before these deals. The Graphics market has been a joke for price/performance of late apart from the odd deals that go up now and then.

Soldato
OP
Great - well I've ordered the new MSI 570 8GB and will come back here to let you guys know how goes next week.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom