Well this looks awesome!.. Asus Eee Transformer Tablet

Associate
Space Rock just called to tell me my order was now delayed until May 15th and was on a queuing system, so probably wouldn't get the tablet until after then.

I just cancelled, I'll pre-order from Jungle with the keyboard.

Soldato
Heard this a few places today, ocuk has stock in before then but it doesn't seem that they have sorted their price out with asus yet

I'm glad they are so popular though, bodes well for future development, but a poor product launch overall for such a good device

Last edited:
Permabanned
The OTA is a must TBH as its not at release spec without it, im sure someone will manage to root it again but its a better device with the update than without

No way is it a must, despite you trying to convince yourself because you've already done it! It could take weeks or months for unsigned ROMs to be able to be flashed again if you've done the update, the same thing happened on the Galaxy Tab when people started updating to ROMs on Samfirmware willy nilly which locked down the devices. The Modaco ROM already improves the device a great deal, if not more than the new OTA.

There will be a new safe ROM from Modaco or someone else based on the OTA within days, if not hours. Do not flash!!

Last edited:
Associate
Space Rock called me just now as well saying that their 21st April delivery has been pushed back till 9th May. I'm on holiday then, so I cancelled and will buy elsewhere now after i've been refunded.

Soldato
Got mine yesterday from a well know phone warehouse, quite impressed with it so far. Seems a lot more fun/exciting than the ipad 2 I had, but maybe that's just down to me loving to thinker with things.
One negative thing I will say is that the back of the unit does feels a little cheap in the hands, other than that and the lack of any real LED indicators on the body it's cracking and full of hacking potential.

Soldato
No way is it a must, despite you trying to convince yourself because you've already done it! !

Not convincing myself of anything, I'm happy I flashed, all apps are in english now, my cloud works, feels snappier, 71% battery life remaining after 24 hours and is up to the spec of the device I paid for, its not all about the custom ROMs and rooting, I have my phone for that

Im still "convinced" its a better device with the update than without but its up to others do do what they wish. ;)

Associate
Earth[Tera].bin , and those of you who have received yours lately -

Are there any signs of light bleed in a darkened room while viewing a black screen (to avoid the eyes missing it because of contrast)? I have light bleed on 3 of the 4 edges to varying degrees and only have 1 day left to decide whether to get an exchange from Space rock. It isn't a problem in normal use, but is proving a real distraction when viewing films.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks! All the way around? Or in patches? What kind of size? There is one particular area that is worse than the others, and not sure what to do.

Anyone who hasn't any bleeding at all?

There are small patches on the bottom and right hand side if I recall correctly, they may be all the way round to some degree, but it is only a small amount of bleed. Doesn't bother me as every LCD I have had has had bleed including my Desire.

So to me it's the norm lol

Associate
Thanks! All the way around? Or in patches? What kind of size? There is one particular area that is worse than the others, and not sure what to do.

Anyone who hasn't any bleeding at all?

I bought an early one, ordered on the 6th. I had the exact same thing on mine. Light on the bottom coming through and worse on the bottom right, the whole corner was light grey when on a dark screen. I took it back to space rock and they are giving me a replacement hopefully tomorrow. The manager did have to go into a dark room to see it though, so initially they will say there is nothing they can see, but that is in the shop with the bright lights on everywhere. Just tell them its a known problem and ask them to check it in the dark if they don't believe you. Put a dark picture on it so they can see the light bleed and make sure the brightness is set to full. Hope that helps.

Frankly I think Asus have released this too early and not had tests for this problem in quality control. Apparently the delays is because they have added new tests for problems. So at least they are listening to us, but they have used us early adopters as guinea pigs, which i'm abit miffed, though we will be getting the keyboard a bit cheaper which is good. :)

My review is on AVForums I will add the picture I took of the light bleed.

Permabanned
Not convincing myself of anything, I'm happy I flashed, all apps are in english now, my cloud works, feels snappier, 71% battery life remaining after 24 hours and is up to the spec of the device I paid for, its not all about the custom ROMs and rooting, I have my phone for that

Im still "convinced" its a better device with the update than without but its up to others do do what they wish. ;)

Sure, but don't say "It's ok, they will hack it" when it could take months to happen, people should be warned what they are doing.

With regards to being snappier the Modaco ROM makes it feel snappier and no doubt there will be massive improvements with future custom roms. And the language thing, I've notice one app that has foreign text in it, and it was simple stuff like Videoa or Audioa or something, I was able to work out what these words meant with my super babelfish type mind. ;)

Associate
I've put some photos up here

The brighter one is max brightness. The other one is roughly how my eyes see the screen with nothing on it. Taken on an iPhone 4, so not exactly as the human eye would see them.

The main area of annoyance is the bottom left hand side in landscape (ignore the three dots side by side - this is from YouTube). These dots should be in the bottom left.

It should be noted that when playing a widescreen bordered film I don't notice much leakage except in that area. In general day to day use it is stunning.

So, should I replace it? I only have til tomorrow! Tick tock!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom