welp, we all get caught out some time

Soldato
so some of you might know i recently grabbed myself an old mr2 for a bit of back road blasting.

now for a 2001 car with 130k miles i wasn't exactly expecting gold standard, and little niggly issues like the central locking not working right and the soft top being in horrible nick under the hard top are fine.

however, quell surprise when i took her in for some new tyres and a wheel alignment (force of habit) and we notice some nasty hidden issues.

for starters there's a water leak, and a power steering leak, and an exhaust leak (although tbf it does make it sound good), but the icing on the cake is there's also a fuel leak.

there are some other problems, although they're forgivable given what it is.

needless to say this goes slightly beyond what you'd expect for a car that has done a mere 150 miles since its last mot (note that most of those were me).

so ocuk, what would you do?
1. let the dealer fix it (knowing he was happy enough to mot and then sell it in that condition)
2. get quotes from a garage i trust and send him the bill
3. ask for my money back (which given it's been less than 30 days i'm legally allowed to do) plus the money i spent on tyres.

Soldato
OP
Ask dealer to fix, but give notice that not fixed appropriately you'll be rejecting the car - so at least you have it in writing within the appropriate period.

well i don't want to drive it with the fuel leak- says a lot when i rang the mot centre to check the certificate was valid (it was), and they pointed out they wouldn't even let it into the test like that. rang the dealer and he said to get a quote for that from my local before going further.

atm i'm leaning towards option 3, although i'm worried it might have to go right down the legal rabbit hole to acheive that

Permabanned
well i don't want to drive it with the fuel leak- says a lot when i rang the mot centre to check the certificate was valid (it was), and they pointed out they wouldn't even let it into the test like that. rang the dealer and he said to get a quote for that from my local before going further.

atm i'm leaning towards option 3, although i'm worried it might have to go right down the legal rabbit hole to acheive that

Just reject then... might be a bit of a pain.

Make sure you get a full and detailed report of the issues from the guys who looked it over. Keep their invoice too as you can get the dealer to pay that.

As they're dangerous faults (fuel leak)... you can easily go straight for the rejection route.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/l...eed-to-know-about-your-right-to-reject-a-car/

https://www.directline.com/car-cover/know-your-rights-when-rejecting-a-new-car

Soldato
OP
Just reject then... might be a bit of a pain.

Make sure you get a full and detailed report of the issues from the guys who looked it over. Keep their invoice too as you can get the dealer to pay that.

As they're dangerous faults (fuel leak)... you can easily go straight for the rejection route.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/l...eed-to-know-about-your-right-to-reject-a-car/

https://www.directline.com/car-cover/know-your-rights-when-rejecting-a-new-car

i have a report from the garage for the serious faults (there are others but they're what i'd consider to be reasonable for the age/milage) but i suspect this guy might want to hardball this given his first reaction was "well the bm you traded in had some scratches" which given i knew damn well what the paint was like when i sold it (having hand washed it with 2 buckets and a microfibre cloth for 2 years) and it's nothing.

i'll get a quote from my local for all the serious work that needs done then i'll start with the email corresponance just so i have a paper trail if needs be.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Next time wear some braces, because they've had your trousers right down :D

Soldato
OP
That sounds like a right lemon :D

You might have a bit of hassle now but better that you can reject than it to throw all this up in a years time.

true, at least it's within 150 miles and 30 days, i just hope i don't have to go to small claims because that's gonna be a hassle.

@Acme will have if off you I'm sure.

£2k, 1 careful lady owner.....

Should have gone with the MG :D

i know, the irony is beautiful.

funny from the outside it didn't seem to bad, was only on the ramp was it really noticable.

@EVH i was wearing braces, they didn't help :D

Soldato
Be prepared for 'it's and old car with high mileage' comments. You're within your rights to reject assuming they're not cheap and simple fixes (if they are then I'd I'd just fix them).

The dealer will know about the issues and most likely will not refund. Even if they offer to fix you'll end up with it being a hassle I reckon.

Soldato
OP
Be prepared for 'it's and old car with high mileage' comments. You're within your rights to reject assuming they're not cheap and simple fixes (if they are then I'd I'd just fix them).

The dealer will know about the issues and most likely will not refund. Even if they offer to fix you'll end up with it being a hassle I reckon.

He's already started down that line, there's a limit to the things can be explained by the age/milage, but i draw the line at fuel leaks.

Hopefully he'll fold without having to go too far.

Caporegime
If he has any link to the MOT Centre and he doesn't play along with repairs I'd be reporting the MOT centre to VOSA. They take dodgy tests very seriously. Keep the report, pictures and even video if possible

Soldato
He's already started down that line, there's a limit to the things can be explained by the age/milage, but i draw the line at fuel leaks.

Hopefully he'll fold without having to go too far.

Have you driven it much since alignment?

Ultimately if it's going to go to court you'll need as much evidence as possible. Receipt from alignment place and a diagnosis in written form from another place as a minimum. Milage logged at each step.

Possibly put it through another MOT check?

Sounds like you know what you're doing though.

Was it sold with any sort of 'warranty'?

Soldato
OP
Have you driven it much since alignment?

Ultimately if it's going to go to court you'll need as much evidence as possible. Receipt from alignment place and a diagnosis in written form from another place as a minimum. Milage logged at each step.

Possibly put it through another MOT check?

Sounds like you know what you're doing though.

Was it sold with any sort of 'warranty'?

Its done 150 miles since its mot in febuary, most of those were mine and i have it recorded on the report from my garage they didnt go ahead with the wheel alignment as one of the issues was the toe arm bolt was rusted bad enough it'd break if they forced it. Given it isnt going to see any road time until its being taken back/repaired theres also the clock milage to go on.

Warranty is kind of irrelevant given i've had this thing 4 days and this has turned up, although it was advertised as a 3 month warrenty.

I dont trust him to fix it though, given he was happy enough to sell it in that condition.

Soldato
Its done 150 miles since its mot in febuary, most of those were mine and i have it recorded on the report from my garage they didnt go ahead with the wheel alignment as one of the issues was the toe arm bolt was rusted bad enough it'd break if they forced it. Given it isnt going to see any road time until its being taken back/repaired theres also the clock milage to go on.

Warranty is kind of irrelevant given i've had this thing 4 days and this has turned up, although it was advertised as a 3 month warrenty.

I dont trust him to fix it though, given he was happy enough to sell it in that condition.

I'm thinking more for court, a document stating a 3 month warranty will only build your case.

I wouldn't trust him either! In fact I'm unsure whether I'll ever buy from a small dealer type place ever again. If I do it'll be on credit card!

Soldato
for starters there's a water leak, and a power steering leak, and an exhaust leak (although tbf it does make it sound good), but the icing on the cake is there's also a fuel leak.

would you not have smelled a fuel leak ? exhaust probably to be expected and had passed the MOT nonetheless, small weep on power steering ? (was it an advisary on mot), the latter are expected at that age.
.....maybe it was not driven much recently and your driving has revealed rubbers are perishing.

Back
Top Bottom