welp, we all get caught out some time

Soldato
A fuel leak means it's dangerous and it's illegal to sell it like that (even privately) unless you inform the buyer. It's not something easily missed either.

If the MOT didn't spot these leaks then the MOT is also dodgy. That's go to prison territory :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I suspect the fuel leak was only an issue after tank had been filled, hence why the mot/myself didnt pick up on it.

It is common practice for dealers to leave their cars near empty to stop folk stealing the fuel.

It is a big deal though, i sure wont be driving it anywhere except to a local garage (ie not way back down to the dealer) to get that leak sorted properly.

Soldato
OP
well, sent off an email to him today, unfortunately they have one of those "email us" forms with a character limit so i'm relying on him to reply for me to be able to send him the full complaint in writing.

i'm suspecting he's going to play hard ball, so i guess next on the list is following which's guide and getting the ombudsman informed and then a solicitors letter.

still waiting on a full quote from my garage for the work, not that it matters that much, but at least its something extra.

Soldato
well, sent off an email to him today, unfortunately they have one of those "email us" forms with a character limit so i'm relying on him to reply for me to be able to send him the full complaint in writing.
ring them up and get an email contact or visit face to face w/letter ? - don't rely on such a form for important time critical communication

Soldato
Send them a letter recorded delivery, decide what you want , state it clearly.
Don’t do this until you have actually had a discussion, it’s just rude and unreasonable. At least give them a chance to fix it first, your assuming what the outcome is before you have even spoken to them.

Go down there, have a discussion and if you don’t get the outcome you want then you can send formal communication.

All that opening with a letter sent recorded delivery is going to do is get a reasonable persons back up let alone a a less reasonable person. I would have avoided an email form also...

PSA: always pay part of the money with a credit card.

Soldato
Lol, they don't sound reasonable, they sound incompetent and down right dangerous, I would want my money back no questions asked if that was my legal right.

The letter is to put a line in the sand and to make them realise you are serious.

Interesting to see different people's approaches.

Soldato
OP
I'm asking for my money back, if he was happy to sell the car in that condition then i dont trust him an inch to fix it properly.

I did ring him and his response was "i can put a dab of weld on the exhaust but wtf do you expect me to do?", Seemed totally blase about the fuel leak.

Complete cowboy, best he can do is give me my money back without a fight.

Soldato
I'm asking for my money back, if he was happy to sell the car in that condition then i dont trust him an inch to fix it properly.

I did ring him and his response was "i can put a dab of weld on the exhaust but wtf do you expect me to do?", Seemed totally blase about the fuel leak.

Complete cowboy, best he can do is give me my money back without a fight.

When I said fix it, I meant the problem not the car as the decision has already been made to reject it.

Then I agree you’ve had the conversation and he was blasé abouse it so next step is to put it formally to him.

But just jumping straight to formal proceedings normally isn’t the right way to go and never gives you the option to just settle the matter civily in the first place. Not all 2nd hand car dealers are crooks.

Soldato
OP
When I said fix it, I meant the problem not the car as the decision has already been made to reject it.

Then I agree you’ve had the conversation and he was blasé abouse it so next step is to put it formally to him.

But just jumping straight to formal proceedings normally isn’t the right way to go and never gives you the option to just settle the matter civily in the first place. Not all 2nd hand car dealers are crooks.

True true, but this guys attitude definately doesnt do him any favours. Guess its hard to put in context over the internet but if you'd heard the phone call you'd know

Soldato
OP
well, he replied, so at least now i can get a formal correspondance chain started.

not sure where i stand on asking for money on the tyres i fitted, but i suppose it's less important than getting the money for the car.

Soldato
OP
well, he's agreed to a refund but he's insisting i bring the car back.

given it doesn't technically have a valid mot and isn't safe to be driving on the road am i allowed to insist he collects it? or do i have to start searching my contacts to see if i can get my hands on a trailer

Associate
Dealer would be liable to pick back up, but depends if in the eyes of the law he is truly considered a dealer or not where the water gets murky sometimes - ie if he's a driveway does it on the weekends type it may not be that straight forward. If he has a proper premises etc though I'd just quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which gives you 30 days to reject and leaves him liable to collect the car iirc. Doubt you'll see anything back for the tyres mind.

Soldato
OP
Dealer would be liable to pick back up, but depends if in the eyes of the law he is truly considered a dealer or not where the water gets murky sometimes - ie if he's a driveway does it on the weekends type it may not be that straight forward. If he has a proper premises etc though I'd just quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which gives you 30 days to reject and leaves him liable to collect the car iirc. Doubt you'll see anything back for the tyres mind.

He's trying to peddle himself as a proper dealer so he's screwed there. Checked with citizens advice and they agree with what you've said- that he's liable for costs for recovery but the tyres will be a sticking point.

I've had a chat with the garage that put the tyres on and theyre gonna see if they can collect together some cheap tyres to put on it (which will be no worse than the condition i bought the car in) so at least i can sell the good ones on gumtree and recover some of those costs. Otherwise i'll just have to write that one off.

Soldato
OP
well, tomorrow is going to be interesting.

managed to arrange transport to get the car towed back down for £50, which is extremely reasonable, rang him up to confirm and to quote his words "i'll tell you now i ain't paying for the transport"

sneaky *******, the sensible part of me is thinking i should just get the money and leave it, the not so sensible part of me is thinking money be damned take the ****** to court just to teach him a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom