1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went over a pot hole and had a blowout - is my alloy wheel repairable?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Ricochet J, May 29, 2019.

1. Ricochet J

Capodecina

Hi,

I was driving down a country lane and there was a sudden unavoidable pot hole. Unfortunately the passenger side front wheel took the shock and deformed my wheel, which meant it was no longer air tight.

Is the alloy wheel repairable?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. Phil W

Sgarrista

If it's not particularly exotic I would just source a single replacement. It can be repaired but it'll always be weaker than an undamaged one.

3. bremen1874

Capodecina

Are you going to try and claim against the council for pothole damage?

4. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

Ouch i would never try to repair that.

5. Tee Hee Johnson

Mobster

I'd be looking for a 'new' one

6. kindai

Soldato

Lets talk about those socks...

7. geekman

Mobster

I’d get the suspension and alignment checked as well as replacing the wheel: that looks like a big enough hit to do more damage than just the wheel and tyre.

8. Diddums

Capodecina

Let's not :mad:

9. vanpeebles

Soldato

Sailing half mast too :D

10. Ricochet J

Capodecina

That's a fair assessment.

Not really - I'm going to pay for my repairs and move on. If I do chase the council for compensation, then legally I will have to notify my insurance company. The council will explicitly ask me if I have asked my insurance company. Tbh I would rather not deal with the faff.

Is there anything to look out for? Or shall I just go for the cheapest matching alloy on ebay?

Good call! The car is new (i.e. second hand, recently purchased), and on budget tyres. I have new branded tyres incoming. When I get them fitted I'll also ask them to check the suspension and alignment.

11. MrRockliffe

Mobster

It is worth doing if it's a more expensive repair - my father went over a pot hole and destroyed front and rear alloys and tyres. About £900 in repair, but got all of it back from the council. Though it took a while if I remember correctly...

12. jpaul

Sgarrista

moreover .. find a local re-cycler ? postage will be the killer otherwise.

... can you actually claim for potholes on countryside roads ? a lot of the norfolk/cams you just have to be very attentive, know the roads,
    otherwise you could kill a sidewall everyday.

13. Armageus

Don

I'm in the minority but if there is somewhere local I'd at least see how much it would be to have it repaired.

No guarantee that a used one from eBay isn't going to have issues that you later discover (e.g. invisible cracks, or needs huge amount of weights to balance)

14. Diagro

Sgarrista

Should be repairable.

But my question

How did you manage to hit a pothole so big to cause that? Too busy on your phone?

15. Howard

Capodecina

The council didn’t ask me anything about insurance when I claimed (successfully). It’s worth putting in a claim after you’ve assessed the full extent of the damage and had it sorted; it’s not your fault the roads are in such poor condition.

16. grudas

Capodecina

I've had similar repaired on my z4 coupe alloy.. Was £70 to do without paint, looked straight and balanced no problems.. drove another 2k miles on that without issues before I sold the car

17. Scania

Capodecina

Go back and get as many photos of the pothole as you can - it will help with your claim - and replace the wheel, I would not attempt to get that repaired.

18. Adam

Sgarrista

Not sure where the link between insurance and the council comes from. The process can take a while but they are both entirely independent.

19. wedrum

Mobster

couple of cable ties be reet.

20. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Bin that wheel and source a pair of replacements as the amount have force needed to bend that section of the wheel will have damaged or severely weakened it in other places.