Went to Porsche today - Got lucky, superb experience.

Associate
The GTR is an unknown at moment, some say buy a low miles 09/59 car for 40k and it will still be worth 35k or so in 2yr wheras others say because the 2011 is much better and will be used examples in the near future it may impact the older cars more meaning maybe an 09 car in 2 years could be selling for 30k.

You're at MH tomorrow. Their MY11 will be on song, go back to back with a CBA and see what you think.

Soldato
Well I can't speak from experience and echo the words of what Fox said.

Out of the 3, it would be R35 then Porsche. Is Audi R8 out of the question? Such a fantastic looking car. But can't comment on ride comfort etc.

Don
not read all the thread

was this at Silverstone of at an OPC ? I am ff to Silverstone in a few days

re the Gen 2 Cayman S I was amazed at the difference, I had a G2n 2 PDK as a loan car, noticeably quicker and with a great sound

the PDK was good but the one I had didn't have paddles which would be a must for me

Don
What does the Cayman weigh, it did feel very light on its feet. :)

2 things, you aske about the Cayman S on the limit, my experience is that the limit takes some reaching and it them comes in with controllable understeer

re the weight etc, this is the amazing thing re the Cayman, whatever it weighs you never feel it, 2 lanes into a roundabout followed by late braking and a quick flick through passing a row of cars is superb fun

Don
Fox is right, which is why you cannot make a decision purely based on a test drive. Emotion plays a big part. The trick is feeling it as strongly 12 months down the line. That's where I think the 911 will score.

agree and I am not sure the GTR would ever capture my emotions

I have has the Cayman S for 30 months now which is as long as I normally keep any car, I am already thinking of keeping it for 2 more years and as much as I never have the same car twice running am really worrying that whaterver I replace it with will dissapoint

Permabanned
Hrm, I don't think I could seriously consider the Cayman in your position, but then I'm a little bit of a 911 fan. I too would probably prefer the drive of the Cayman when pushing on, from what you've said and I've read (later one mind, with LSD), but for me it just doesn't quite look right (nothing major - it's a lovely looking car, I just get a bit of a nag in the back of my mind that I cannot quite place) , whereas the 997 is simply beautiful.

We never would have guessed you'd prefer the Turbo over the C2S :D Not sure if the C4S fits in at all though really, as it'll probably just drive like the Turbo but slower, at least the C2S has NA+2WD on its side - ie. more "pure".

Associate
Well I've given it some thought tonight and am gonna have another go in a 997 but gonna make it a 997.2 C2S with 385BHP and see how I find that before I make a decision.

Right now firm favourite is the Turbo, my thinking is if I buy one right, get a damn good deal I think they have hit pretty much the bottom of their depreciation as they simply can't get cheaper than the older 996 Turbos as X50's and S models are still fetching above 40k, so if I can bag a decent 997 with relatively low miles at the right price it should hold value well.

I shall drive another 911 and make it the 997.2 to just see how a newer 911 with more power feels. I shall also report back after Ive driven the M3 and Id be interested in knowing what the tuning options are on the M3 as well. :)

I found the difference between 997 Gen1 and 997 Gen2 quite significant, so I think you'll be pleasanlty surprised by a C2S Gen 2. It's not just the extra power, but the front end seems much better nailed down during sweeping corners and the steering feels more direct.

The interior is also a bit nicer which is no bad thing!

C2S vs Turbo - going by your car history (at least what I know of it), I can see you loving the Turbo more over a period of time. The mid range torque is something you'll never get bored of.

Associate
agree and I am not sure the GTR would ever capture my emotions

I have has the Cayman S for 30 months now which is as long as I normally keep any car, I am already thinking of keeping it for 2 more years and as much as I never have the same car twice running am really worrying that whaterver I replace it with will dissapoint

Quick off topic question - can you find out the oil temp in a Cayman? Perhaps through the menu options...?

Man of Honour
Just drive a 997 GT3, really, it's on a different page and very different on roads compared to mine, not that different to a C2S. However, you think a C2S sounds good and a Cayman S feels sharp? Drive a GT3, it goes to 11!

Associate
I shall also report back after Ive driven the M3 and Id be interested in knowing what the tuning options are on the M3 as well. :)

Speak to me before you do and I'll run through the various setup options with you which may not be obvious on the day (and let's face it dealer staff often don't know!). There are various suspension, steering and throttle options available and some are only available under certain circumstances.

OcUK Staff
OP
Speak to me before you do and I'll run through the various setup options with you which may not be obvious on the day (and let's face it dealer staff often don't know!). There are various suspension, steering and throttle options available and some are only available under certain circumstances.

Can you email me your number mate as think have lost it.
[email protected]

Associate
Anyone have experience with cambridge porsche? I might head down to have a look and hopefully test drive the cayman S they have there. Would they be unwilling to let me or create issues as i`m 25?

Man of Honour
Just got back from driving two GTR's, a 2010 and 2011 spec, shall make new thread. :)

My boss just got a lovely 2011 pearlescent white GTR as a toy thing. He said the car is immense (he has a 599 atm and a 458 on order)

The only thing is running costs a little silly, like if you puncture one tyre you have to change both on that end or goodbye warranty. You must only use the OEM tyre, not allowed to use anything else

The running in is also crazy, gotta stick to sensible speeds all the way to 1200miles if I remember, also not alowwed to turn on sport modes... if you do it's all logged and goodbye warranty also

Soldato
The running in is also crazy, gotta stick to sensible speeds all the way to 1200miles if I remember, also not alowwed to turn on sport modes... if you do it's all logged and goodbye warranty also

Not allowed to turn on the sports mode?

You sure about that. I remember that you can't use the launch control otherwise it voids the warranty.

Back
Top Bottom