Went to Porsche today - Got lucky, superb experience.

Associate
My boss just got a lovely 2011 pearlescent white GTR as a toy thing. He said the car is immense (he has a 599 atm and a 458 on order)

The only thing is running costs a little silly, like if you puncture one tyre you have to change both on that end or goodbye warranty. You must only use the OEM tyre, not allowed to use anything else

The running in is also crazy, gotta stick to sensible speeds all the way to 1200miles if I remember, also not alowwed to turn on sport modes... if you do it's all logged and goodbye warranty also

You can use whatever tyre you want, the warranty is only affected if you were to put on the completely wrong size for instance and as a result, there was a drivetrain issue. I think you'll find every manufacturer takes the exact same stance.

You don't have to stick to sensible speeds during running in. It's in 3 stages, up to 300 miles, 300 to 600 and 600 to 1200. It's progressive.

You can have it in any mode you like, it will not affect the warranty. "Sports mode" would be R, R and R, and there is no warranty clause. The only issue would be with VDC off and something going massively wrong, and only then it would be on Nissan's part to prove failure because of VDC off. In other words, a non issue.

Man of Honour
You can use whatever tyre you want, the warranty is only affected if you were to put on the completely wrong size for instance and as a result, there was a drivetrain issue. I think you'll find every manufacturer takes the exact same stance.

You don't have to stick to sensible speeds during running in. It's in 3 stages, up to 300 miles, 300 to 600 and 600 to 1200. It's progressive.

You can have it in any mode you like, it will not affect the warranty. "Sports mode" would be R, R and R, and there is no warranty clause. The only issue would be with VDC off and something going massively wrong, and only then it would be on Nissan's part to prove failure because of VDC off. In other words, a non issue.

Ahh ok I'm with you... was getting that info from him, maybe I misinterpreted it, but I was sure he said something like when he got in it he had to take it out of sports mode as instructed by garage

As a die hard Ferrari nut it says something about the car when he can't stop singing it's praises.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi Gibbo,

Have you driven a C4S?

Thanks for the post, they always make for interesting reading.

HEADRAT

No mate.

Slower once moving and the C2S has more than enough grip.

So unelss the 4S helps stop the bobbing or dial out understeer I can see me liking it less, you think the 4S would do that, or would putting a bag of sound in the front of the C2S have the same effect, lol.

Don
C4S sound nicer

imo thats where the benefits stop, it's a Porsche I'd buy my bird if she was hell bent on owning one, safe and boring even if she knocked the TC off with her makeup bag

Soldato
How long do demo cars normally get kept for?

A loaded ex-demo Cayman R might appeal to somone who likes the Cayman S, but hankers after more grunt etc...

Are you dead set on a PDK/DCT type gearbox?

I've no doubt that the DCT Z4 I drove was quicker at shifting gears than I am, but felt it robbed part of the driving experience. If you acknowledge that there's only so fast you can go on road, but like 'feeling' fast, are the manual versions in scope?

Associate
With regards to cayman power, there are well regarded modifications out there that improve the situation.

A new exhaust, racing plenum and softronic remap should see up to 40bhp increase in power. (that is on the gen 1 not sure about the situation with gen 2)

There is even a turbo kit for big power gains in the future when the urge for pwoer returns.

Soldato
wouldn't a loaded Cayman R sort of defeat the object ? I would imagine most being a fairly basic spec

Fair shout, the end of the pistonheads article I read referred to it as being similar to the 911 GTS (ie a C2S + X51 powerpack, sports exhaust, sports chrono plus, PASM and a healthy dose of WANT!).

On second glance at the article it looks more like the Boxster Spyder with a roof...

Caporegime
wouldn't a loaded Cayman R sort of defeat the object ? I would imagine most being a fairly basic spec

indeed. Kind of defeats the point of the weight saving if you go and add it all back in with a stereo and aircon.

Its almost as heinous a crime as adding heated seats in a GT3 :D

Back
Top Bottom