Western Digital releases 1TB Velociraptor hard drive

Soldato
If you got an SSD and you can't tell the difference in load times from a HDD then you're doing it wrong. As said earlier, it's the single biggest difference I've noticed when upgrading anything.

Sure, graphics cards will boost FPS, but for general loading/day to day task and booting in etc you really really notice it.

Soldato
Fair play if you think the VR is just as quick as an SSD, but I'm afraid, it just isn't.

I never said it was just as quick, obviously a 165MB/s HDD is slower than a 285MB/s SSD even before comparing access times and IO, what I said was that in real world use the wasn't much difference. Obviously if like one of the above posters somebody has a desire to be able to instantly open 5 applications at one then the SSD is night and day better.

However if like me your just playing games, working with databases and just doing general office/media usage then its pointless having a small SSD and a slow HDD when you can have a fast HDD that will do what you want.

Last edited:

Imy

Imy

Soldato
I'm running 2 x 150GB Velociraptors in RAID 0 in my main PC and recently built an SSD-equipped HTPC. The difference is night and day with the HTPC feeling like an appliance rather than desktop computer even though both machines are high spec and run Windows.

The performance increase an SSD gives you over pure mechanical drives most certainly is noticeable in the "real world". I've had 15krpm SAS Seagate Cheetahs running in RAID 0 before and they still can't touch an SSD for responsiveness and application loading.

Only problem is the SSD I chose for the HTPC is an unreliable piece of **** (OCZ Agility 3 60GB).

Soldato
SSD's may be great for ego and bragging rights but I have yet to see them give a real world performance benefit that validates their price, I much preferred my extra 510GB over the practically unnoticeable drawbacks.

:p

My SSD is hands down perhaps the best thing I have ever put in my pc. We each have our own opinions granted but everything is just so much smoother, faster and quieter.

Soldato
Are peeps actually saying that a mechanical drive can match the speed of a SSD in this thread? Oh dears :( The Velociraptor is dead in the water. Do peeps really need ultra fast speeds on a 1TB drive that is likely to be used for static storage??

Last edited:
Soldato
My 2p

SSD is all great and fast but if it fails you are f...ed!!! :eek:
With normal mechanical hard drives if they fail at least you have some chance of recovery, with SSD its 0% at the moment.

Until the day SSD is reliable as mech then photos, games, films or anything of value stays mech/dvd!

Soldato
If it's of value to you, surely you'd have a backup anyways? Though personally I trust my SSD over my mechanical HD.

SSD is a chip if it decides to take a brake which they can you ! :eek:

From personal experience my daughters 1st xmas I had a 2gb SD memory card, lots of photos taken etc. Put the cam in the pc nothing ! :confused:

Tried all tricks nothing sent the card back got a replacement then no problems....:(

Point being I have had many SD cards same principal as SSD, but it only takes one to go poof!!! and you up that street without a paddle!!! :rolleyes:

I always back up i have 3 hard drives containing all the same photos, that I update every month. Also 2 mem cards for the camera just in case!! :rolleyes:

As i have said my 1st dip into sd lost me my daughters 1st xmas!!!! :mad:

Associate
I'm vaguely interested - ever since I got the Performance Pro (games), I've been using the RAID 0 array purely for docs and downloads. That's definitely overkill (especially in terms of power usage), but I like the performance boost for photo editing... Am I right in thinking it'll out-perform the Momentus XT in this scenario? (Unless I'm missing something, the XT's cacheing is mostly geared towards OS and apps)

Back
Top Bottom