Western Digital releases 1TB Velociraptor hard drive

Soldato
Well it's all over the web now but Western Digital are bringing out a new Velociraptor - 1 TB!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

1tb2.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
Used to have a 72GB Raptor.

Never again, way too loud. Just get larger more dense drives.

Random Access time on a HDD is moot these days.

SSD for Random Access
High Density HDDs for Storage

Associate
Even if you did, I'm sure this would be a better idea:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (ST2000DL003) £93.98
1 x Corsair CSSD-C30GB Accelerator Series 30GB Solid State Drive £61.99
Total : £165.58 (includes shipping : £8.00).

2TB of fast storage for slightly cheaper :p

This ^ much better value for your monies

I run
YOUR BASKET
2 x Crucial RealSSD M4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CT128M4SSD2) £119.99 (£239.98) 1 for OS/apps and 1 for steam/games
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (ST500DM002) £58.99 for data/music/films/photos etc
Total : £309.77 (includes shipping : £9.00).

More expensive but all the fast storage i need:) I dont mind paying £ for fast access, but storage can be had much cheaper, but then i'm no power user!

Last edited:
Soldato
Used to have a 72GB Raptor.

Never again, way too loud. Just get larger more dense drives.

Random Access time on a HDD is moot these days.

SSD for Random Access
High Density HDDs for Storage

Not that i'd bother with one anymore but got a few 300gb vraptors lying about and they are very quiet. I remember when i got my first 36gb Raptor it was noisy as hell though!

Soldato
Would these go into a laptop okay without their 3.5" cooler or would they just over heat and take the laptop with it ?

::EDIT:: I just read these require 12volts to work and i'm sure normal laptop drives only use 5volts... Also someone states they are bolted to the 3.5" cooler, can anyone confirm any of this ? Wouldn't of minded adding these to a laptop grrr instead of a SSD.

Last edited:
Soldato
Removal of the Icepack voids the warranty. The previous 150/300gb variants came in 2 types with and without icepack. The without was for enterprise storage solutions. This is probably what it is geared towards.

Soldato
I upgraded from a OCZ Vertex 2E to a 600GB Velociraptor I got form OCUK and was very very happy. According to the benchmarks it was a lot slower but as I'm a human and I don't work in nanoseconds I didn't really see and notable performance hit. WoW took a second or two longer to HS to Stormwind but losing 1-2 secs on something you do once or twice a day didn't bother me nor did boot times as I never sit there and watch my system boot anyway (if I turn it on when I get up ill do it on the way out the room to brush my teeth, if I turn it on when I get in from work it will be as I enter the room before I take off shoes/jacket and prob make a drink).

SSD's may be great for ego and bragging rights but I have yet to see them give a real world performance benefit that validates their price, I much preferred my extra 510GB over the practically unnoticeable drawbacks.

Taking if off the heatsink for laptop use would be nutty to be honest. It's going to get hot hot hot!

VR's don't work in laptops, they run off the 12v rail and afaik all laptops only have the 5v rail.

Last edited:
Soldato
SSD's may be great for ego and bragging rights but I have yet to see them give a real world performance benefit that validates their price

I......

Just.....

Troll?

If you have not noticed a tangible, real world, perceptible difference going from a spinning disk to a SSD, you are doing it wrong. What a rubbish post.

Soldato
I click Photoshop CS5 Icon - 1 second later I have a usable workspace.
Windows Logo to Desktop - Less than 10 seconds.
As soon as I am at the desktop - I click 5 App shortcuts 1 after the other. All 5 apps pop.
AV/Malware Scan - Done in single digit minutes.
Searching for files/registry entries/other - Near instant.

SSDs warrant their price tag for the usage they are designed for. They are not good value as a storage proposition (£/GB) but nobody uses them for storage.

My SSD was the single biggest upgrade I have ever made in a system in terms of day-to-day usage.

2600k over a 2500k is something you could call a bragging right purchase if you do not utilise HT, for example. But an SSD has absolute tangible benefit over a HDD and is probably the least ego based/bragging right purchase you can make.

Permabanned
I click Photoshop CS5 Icon - 1 second later I have a usable workspace.
Windows Logo to Desktop - Less than 10 seconds.
As soon as I am at the desktop - I click 5 App shortcuts 1 after the other. All 5 apps pop.
AV/Malware Scan - Done in single digit minutes.
Searching for files/registry entries/other - Near instant.

SSDs warrant their price tag for the usage they are designed for. They are not good value as a storage proposition (£/GB) but nobody uses them for storage.

My SSD was the single biggest upgrade I have ever made in a system in terms of day-to-day usage.

2600k over a 2500k is something you could call a bragging right purchase if you do not utilise HT, for example. But an SSD has absolute tangible benefit over a HDD and is probably the least ego based/bragging right purchase you can make.

I've been hovering over the idea of buying a SSD for when I change over from my Phenom II to i5 2500k this weekend as I will need to reinstall the OS anyway. That post you've made may have just pushed me to click buy on the 256gb crucial m4 :D

Soldato
I......

Just.....

Troll?

If you have not noticed a tangible, real world, perceptible difference going from a spinning disk to a SSD, you are doing it wrong. What a rubbish post.

Actually considering my post was full of information and genuine personal experience and yours was just full of personal insults I guess mine wasn't so rubbish after all eh? :p

Soldato
I upgraded from a OCZ Vertex 2E to a 600GB Velociraptor I got form OCUK and was very very happy. According to the benchmarks it was a lot slower but as I'm a human and I don't work in nanoseconds I didn't really see and notable performance hit. WoW took a second or two longer to HS to Stormwind but losing 1-2 secs on something you do once or twice a day didn't bother me nor did boot times as I never sit there and watch my system boot anyway (if I turn it on when I get up ill do it on the way out the room to brush my teeth, if I turn it on when I get in from work it will be as I enter the room before I take off shoes/jacket and prob make a drink).

The problem is you didn't run them side by side, hence you have no reference.

I have run a mirrored VR and SSD side by side and the difference is night and day. If I didn't have Windows on my VR now I'd image my SSD to it and record the difference, just to prove my point.

I've also sat two MacBook Pros next to each other (2.4Ghz dual + SSD vs 2.2Ghz quad & HDD) and the speed difference is insane.

Fair play if you think the VR is just as quick as an SSD, but I'm afraid, it just isn't.

Back
Top Bottom