Wet room and bathroom project underway (progress pics)

Caporegime
Hi all

Pretty much last on our list of home improvements is to update (completely rip out and refit) the ensuite and family bathroom.

They were both bodged and are a bit nasty, basically, with tiling straight onto chipboard, cracks in tile and grout, tiles falling off, crappy showers, mouldy grout and silicone, leaks between wall and bath and under shower tray, etc. etc.

The ensuite conversion to a wet room is about to enter the 3rd and final week and I thought people would be interested to see how things were going.

Ensuite, before:

o1TKIp9h.jpg

Ensuite design:

JFT2dgkh.jpg

Ensuite stud work going up:

FWgiyyfh.jpg

Ensuite as it stands now:

jVGLwVTh.jpg

Immediately after this will be the bathroom, which currently looks like this:

zIXZYrJh.jpg

Design, which has changed a lot in terms of style but not layout, is as follows:

gn5bvNFh.jpg

Soldato
Very cool, shall follow this.

Only thing I notice though (unless I've mixed up end of room) - picture with tiles, where is your tanking? I can't see any seals on joints and definitely not using something like schluter kerdi, so what's keeping it watertight?

Also, are you having a shaving point in there? I thought this wasn't allowed in UK building regulations as it's a wet room.

Caporegime
OP
Left side as you walk in:

vf2B96Xh.jpg

Very cool, shall follow this.

Only thing I notice though (unless I've mixed up end of room) - picture with tiles, where is your tanking? I can't see any seals on joints and definitely not using something like schluter kerdi, so what's keeping it watertight?

Also, are you having a shaving point in there? I thought this wasn't allowed in UK building regulations as it's a wet room.

The system they're using is RIW Tilesafe. They put down some kind of rubber / bitumen membrane on the floor, then taped the corners and edges, then used a combination of various primers and compounds to tank the room.

The only shaving socket is inside the mirror cabinet. Not sure why they put one in the image.

Agreed, looks like it's being tiled straight on to cementboard?

Cement board that's been tanked.

Soldato
In the en-suite, how do you plan to limit dispersion of water from shower towards the base of the toilet, a partial screen .?

...am interested to see photos as it progresses.

Caporegime
OP
Looks great. Toilet flush is a bit small though.

Do you mean the volume of the flush compartment? We've got an identical wall hung toilet with Roca flush unit in the cloakroom and the large flush delivers a rather large amount of water. Shifts everything perfectly well.

Wow looks good. Is there a significant increase in cost going for wet room/wet area versus a standard tray shower?

Will be good to see when finished.

Unsure about that; I'd imagine that the extra labour and materials from time spent laying matt and tanking etc. would add up to £1k-£2k, but it's hard to compare to the (non-wet room) bathroom quote, because there are lots of differences like price of shower and furniture, and the replacement of the cast iron soil stack. The fitter spent about 2 days just preparing the wet room - tanking, sealing, laying matt, installing shower floor, priming walls and floor, sealing waste, etc.

In the bathroom we're having an AquaLisa digital bath filler and shower, as well as a more expensive furniture unit, so the saving from it not being a wet room is eliminated by having more expensive stuff.

In the en-suite, how do you plan to limit dispersion of water from shower towards the base of the toilet, a partial screen .?

...am interested to see photos as it progresses.

There's a small screen; you can just about make it out in the design image I posted.

Soldato
Novellini duo deck, which basically appears to be a sloped tile backer board.
ahh, I have used that one a couple of times without issue, looking at a couple of alternatives at the moment...

Wow looks good. Is there a significant increase in cost going for wet room/wet area versus a standard tray shower?

Will be good to see when finished.

There is a big cost increase in it - the tray itself is more expensive, the plumbing/drain for it is more expensive, more tiling etc but it's a really nice way to do it if you can find the cash

Caporegime
OP
Tiling was finished today. Tomorrow is grouting and fitting of towel heater, taps, shower, and shower screen, as well as some funky coloured silicone to match the two shades of grout being used.

There's been a minor glitch in that the basin arrived with a hole cut for a tap, whereas we have recessed taps so we don't need a hole. This is delaying final completion by a couple of days as a new one is being shipped over from Italy, so no major drama.

I'm really pleased with the finish as well as the look and feel. Can't wait to start using it now!

lm1LPtTh.jpg

zyhsFA1h.jpg

HesGiC7.jpg

Caporegime
OP
That's going to look great. When you've finished it I highly, highly, highly, highly recommend one of these to dry the walls after showering:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kärcher-WV50-Window-Vac-Cleaning/dp/B004E9QSO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489624143&sr=8-2&keywords=water+vacuum+shower

Never considered such a device for my bathrooms, but I'll look into that, thanks.

Are you using porcelain/ceramic tiles or natural stone?

Stone effect porcelain.

Grouting and sealing has been completed. Not allowed to use it over the weekend :( :).

zUrwzxDh.jpg

0eY1c4zh.jpg

Associate
Looks really good. The look a wet room gives (without a shower tray) is so much better.

One thing I'd do differently next time is to have the shower taps accessible without having to stand under the shower (or reach under). You always turn the shower on first to allow it to warm up and inevitably your hand or arm ends up getting wet with cold water.

Caporegime
OP
Looks really good. The look a wet room gives (without a shower tray) is so much better.

One thing I'd do differently next time is to have the shower taps accessible without having to stand under the shower (or reach under). You always turn the shower on first to allow it to warm up and inevitably your hand or arm ends up getting wet with cold water.

Not if it's diverted to the hand stick. We had the same discussion though and while I won't bore you with the details, there weren't many alternative options.

Caporegime

Agreed. Unfortunately they aren't as practical as having a barrier between them and the rest of the floor. My other half hates them. :(

Yours looks really nice Participant.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom