What 50" TV would you buy for £600

Soldato
TV needs replacing and they've asked me what to go for but I'm not really up on TV's. Its for a living room so just day to day TV / streaming and movies, its quite a bright room and it goes in a corner so wider viewing angles would probably be better. Saying that backlight bleed on my LG IPS monitor is terrible so hopefully IPS TV's aren't as bad.

Max size they can fit is 50", ideally it would have 4 HMDI connections and Dolby Vision would be a bonus for Disney+ etc.

Originally I was going to suggest either the Samsung QE50Q60T £599 or the LG 49NANO866NA for £579 although the LG seems to be out of stock everywhere at the min. But then looking at rtings neither of those are rated all that highly so maybe they aren't worth the extra over the next models down.

Anything that particularly stands out at this price range or all they all just mediocre.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So after looking at TV reviews all day I've come to conclusion that TV's are just **** now, so many problems with different models and screen types.

The LGNANO86 is awful on dark scenes, the Samsung Q60T isn't much brighter than the 8500 and has a stuttering issue. Not sure if the 8500 has that as well but both models have terrible viewing angles, why on earth is it so hard to buy a budget to midrange tv that works now?

Tempted to just go for the cheaper Samsung TU8500 or even the Phillips Ambilight as at least that can add something to the experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Samsung tu8000

Rtings has all the info you need

Why not the TU8500, that has the same Dual LED tech as the Q60T doesn't it but the colours aren't as good. Rtings don't review models outside the US so info from them on it, plus they find major flaws in everything apart from the top end stuff so it gets annoying to read. Midrange choice just seems **** right now.

Caporegime
Why not the TU8500, that has the same Dual LED tech as the Q60T doesn't it but the colours aren't as good. Rtings don't review models outside the US so info from them on it, plus they find major flaws in everything apart from the top end stuff so it gets annoying to read. Midrange choice just seems **** right now.

They say the tu8000 is the one to buy so I'm not going to argue with them.

You have a choice of 4 TV's

Tu8000
Q80T
Sony XH90 or xh95
LG oled

No other TV is worth looking at this year. One of them should fit your budget. If it doesn't then you aren't budgeting enough.

The tu8000 is the cheapest out the lot and has the most flaws accordingly.

The tu8500 I have no clue what it offers over or under the tu8000 it's likely not worth it over it

Soldato
OP
So you can spend £350 or go up to £800 minimum for a TV that still has issues. Brilliant :p

You used to able to get something decent in-between, guess that isn't the case anymore.

Caporegime
So you can spend £350 or go up to £800 minimum for a TV that still has issues. Brilliant :p

You used to able to get something decent in-between, guess that isn't the case anymore.

You also used to be able to buy a castle for £75k in the best area within a city 35 years ago.

You have to factor in what actually is a £300 TV.

After all the retailer has to make money. It has to be delivered to you. It has to be delivered to the retailers warehouse from Asia. Both delivery companies need to make money. The manufacturer needs to make money and pay it's running costs.

So a £300 TV probably is worth about £30 in parts.

So yeah you need to spend a lot more than £500 if you want something decent.

Much like how you need to spend a lot more than £75k to buy a decent house in a decent area.

To me spending £1k on a TV that I will use for 5 years is a no brainer.

By then the warranty has gone (John Lewis) I can still sell it for £150 and I can get 5 years newer tech and better features.

All for less than £200 a year.

I always budget £1k for a TV and I always buy when they go eol in January. I can usually pick up a TV to that was £1400-£1800 at launch in January for £1k.

Spending less just means I end up with a mid range TV full of flaws. £1k gets you a TV with flaws that I can live with.

There is no such thing as a flawless TV and never has been.

Soldato
Have a look at the TCL 50/55c715K which uses a Samsung QLED screen. SOC is slower than the more premium brands but not by much. Good value TV and good discount assuming they're still in stock.

** Just checked. 55" was £449 yesterday now at £529. Usually sells at £599.

Back
Top Bottom