Soldato
Ok me and my GF first year together!

And she gave me my presents yesterday and it was a book

GREAT!!! a BOOK how cool!

untill i realised its "Understanding Exposure" :O

Finally :D i been meaning to buy it for ages =]

WOOOOOW :D

Caporegime
Ever time I read a book I learn more about exposure. I think this will never change. Especially since technology changes.

You need to know a hell of a lot about physics, chemistry and DSP to understand exposure. How many of you know about the exposure püroperities of silver ion partiles in film, or how Velvia 50 behaves differently in the shadow expsoure compared to the CMOS sensor in the Nikon D700. Or how the shadow highlight detail in the origional Nikon D1 Compared to the Canon CMOS in the Canon 1DMK1. What happens to the dynamics range when Shooting a D3 at ISO 3200? What is the colour quantization behavior of the Nikon D700 with default settings in Jpeg mode compared to a tweaked RAW mode. How many of you can explain in detail the exposure effects of adding a polariser on an overcast day compared to a sunny day, or a dusty day in the desert? How many color quantization levels are there on the top stop of exposure on the Canon 1DMKIII compared to the bottom stop of shadow exposure? How does shooting slide compared to B&W film compared to color film compare when shotting underwater 10m down. Night time? Flash, Lighting? What happens when shooting 14bit vs 12bit RAW mode on the D300, and on the D700? How does noise removal effect the dynamic range?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
how much of that actually matters to what i have and what i do though, a lot of what you listed is fine for a bit of willy waving facts but i don't need to know any of it to do what i do!

Caporegime
IF you want the best results then a lot of that is useful information. A ot of it is useless if you don't have that particular camera or you don't shoot velvia 50 etc. But things like the number of quantization levels of the top and bottom stops of exposure on your camera is very, very important in order to get the best exposure. E.g., most people under expose to try to stop the highlights clipping and then brighten in LR/PS. This is very bad. You are much better exposing as much as possible before clipping and then dropping the brightness in PS as the camera records far more detail in the top exposure stops than the lower stops.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
yeah, i can see the benefit of that - but then i dont expect to be able to find information like that about my camera in a book that sounds quite general

Back
Top Bottom