What accounting software does your business use?

Soldato
I'm in the process of evaluating our systems at work and how we can make them more efficient and to do more work for us.

I've been researching as many possible accounting software packages and am just lost as to what would be the best fit for us, so putting the question out there to get some info on what people who are part of a similar business are using?

Our business is a distribution business selling car detailing products B2C as well as wholesale B2C.

We've been expanding fast over the past few years and are starting to struggle with stock control, admin tasks being done manually taking up too much time and various other little things which we need to sort as soon as possible before we've expanded any more and the job of potentially installing new systems and software becomes a behemoth of a task.

We have 3 of us currently, two directors who handle everything and an accounts person.

We have over 1500 stock lines which we sell via an eCommerce platform as well as to our UK wide distribution network, and in person at our Trade Counter.

Sage 50 Professional, which to me feels like an antiquated piece of software with no possibility to automate and integrate things like our eCommerce platform to stop the double keying of invoices and handling stock levels in the warehouse as well as keeping stock levels up to date for customers on the website.

We don't mind moving away from Sage as now is the time to get these systems and processes nailed down before it's too late.

I've looked at Xero with Unleashed for stock management but as i'm sure you'll understand, I don't want to commit to a system which isn't the right fit.

Sorry for the essay, going round in circles so thought i'd come to the place I ask any question I can't seem to find a solid answer for elsewhere! :p

Cheers!

Soldato
I just had this, but it's for just me at the moment but again I want something that'll work across all things I need to use. I picked XERO as I got a deal as well so it was 50% off which means 7quid a month which I can cope with. Still seems a bit clunky to me, but hey, I hate doing this sort of thing! I liked the integrations on XERO and ease to hook it into banks and other systems.

Soldato
OP
I just had this, but it's for just me at the moment but again I want something that'll work across all things I need to use. I picked XERO as I got a deal as well so it was 50% off which means 7quid a month which I can cope with. Still seems a bit clunky to me, but hey, I hate doing this sort of thing! I liked the integrations on XERO and ease to hook it into banks and other systems.

Xero seems to be the front runner at the moment but (and i'm not sure why) everything on their site seems to give off the vibe it's for start ups and small firms like an accountants or an electrician who don't carry an large inventory, not a company with over 2000 customers and 1500 product lines.

I could be totally wrong about this point, but just a feeling i'm getting and i'm worried that it won't have the more complex actual accounts features our account person needs.

Soldato
Harcros Timber & Building Supplies - 211 branches, and 5 regional head offices (Jewsons) used to use Kerridge from around 1992, the UK IT support centre was in Grimsby, I think it cost over a million pounds to setup back then, I loved using it >> https://www.kerridgecs.com/page/solutions/finance-accounting-management-software

An Electrical Mechanical Engineering company I worked from 1994 to 2008 - 3 branches (250+ staff), we used to use Vixen, totally loved using that as well >> https://campaign.causeway.com/vixen-bundles

Councils and probally any housing associations that split from local councils used to use Oracle, not sure if they still do. I thought it was garbage, probally a lot better since 2009 >> https://www.oracle.com/uk/erp/financials-cloud/

I've not used the more later versions of Sage, but hated the older versions compared to using Kerridge or Vixen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom