Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Associate
Probably the gaming 7/5. Wanted to get something decent as it will be used with a future cpu upgrade and don't want to skimp.

Soldato
Asus and Asrock have been my brands of choice for many years, so in the end I went for the Asus Prime B350M-A. No idea if it'll be any good :D, but it's mATX, which is the important part.

Pairing it up with a stupidly OP 1800x and massive heatsink for added build-day giggles... At some point though, I hope to downsize to itx. But that's for another day, and a less bruised bank account.

Associate
Do all AM4 motherboards allow overclocking ?
x370 and B350 do, but A320 doesn't (I'm not sure if those are out at launch). B350-A doesn't have VRM cooling so probably avoid that if you want to clock. It seems you pretty much have to go for an x370 if you want to clock to the CPU's full potential (and it seems not all x370's are equal in that regard).

Soldato
is the gaming 7 worth the extra?

Whats different between the 5 and 7?
Honestly I just went for it because I couldn't be doing with white in my case. The 7 presumably has a few more over clocking options (dedicated chip and blck clocking) which I'm hoping marry up with the X version of the CPU.

Couldn't justify the hero but want it to last longer than a MSI carbon pro basically :)

Soldato
ASUS X370 Pro

Seems a bit boring compared to some of the competition, but I'm after reliability since Ryzen is a brand new platform in all regards. ASUS should be good for BIOS updates.

Would have considered a few of the B350s if they had optical audio output.

Anything with a VGA port on the backplane in 2017 is a nonstarter for me, on... uh... religious grounds :D

Associate
I previously had a Asus Crosshair V formula Z on my 8350, only recently a few weeks ago bought Asus Z270 TUF Mark 1 for my new build.

If I had to choose an AM4 board it would be the TUF series (which I believe is not announced yet) that comes with the TUF armor etc. Beautiful board!

Permabanned
I've been looking at the boards and as my current board is a Z97 Hero I'd be inclined to go with that again even though the Crosshair version costs £80 more than mine did. However, I intend to go either ITX or MATX and there aren't any X370 versions yet so until they become available that's one more reason for me not too buy Ryzen now. I also need to see what Vega comes as, size, water cooling etc. I think I'll end up on an matx board in the end, My current pc is in a Corsair Vengeance Mid tower and it's bigger than I want. I'd like to see an AM4 Corsair bulldog version at somepoint, If that has an X370 board I'd be interested.

Back
Top Bottom