Poll: What AM4 motherboard will you be getting?

What manufacturer AM4 will you be buying?

• Asus

Votes: 93 33.0%
  • Asrock

Votes: 66 23.4%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 81 28.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • other.

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Can't decide between the Carbon and the Taichi. I keep flipping back and forth if it's worth the extra £50 or not...

if you are a keen overclocker and want to push your system to the max, get the Taichi. Or, if you need wifi on board.

Associate
I am looking for a medium cost am4 Micro Atx board (prob b350) with good ram overclocking potential (3000+).

probably gona pair it with 1700 or r5 1600.

Any suggestions?

Associate
I actual did test some on the MSI X370 board and could boot into 2667MHz, but then next reboot it wouldn't come back up (d6 error or do they mean db?) The manual says no video output -.-
Then tested 2400MHz and this also booted fine but on next reboot it wouldn't come up any more (d6)
The auto-clocking (A-XMP) to 2933MHz does not boot at all (d6).
I did not change any voltages.

What really confused me:
The default setting in the BIOS does not auto-clear CMOS on a failed boot. This means you have to do it manually.
Doing it manually did not really work for me.
I left the power connected, desktop off and held the clear-cmos button for a while. Turned back on and it did some more stages, seeing more numbers on the boards display, but eventually went back to d6.
It was only until I actual removed the DIMMS, cleared CMOS, then got the NO DIMM something error. Put the memory back in and then I could boot again.

From then on I always enabled the clear CMOS on failed boot and it is much more reliable than the button.

I'll stay with 2133MHz.

I also tried the High Performance profile in Windows 10, but then it just stays permanent at 3.7GHz and runs much hotter. Balanced the CPU runs somewhere between 2100 and 4100MHz.
I enabled C6 states in the BIOS to enable core parking.
Virtualisation was also turned off, which I thought doesn't harm.

Last edited:
Associate
I am looking for a medium cost am4 Micro Atx board (prob b350) with good ram overclocking potential (3000+).

probably gona pair it with 1700 or r5 1600.

Any suggestions?

You might want to go for the R5 if you're going for B350. They seem to have VRM temperature issues at high clocks, due to having less phases and smaller heatsinks.

A 6-core would put less stress on the VRMs than an 8-core. And it seems like for now there's no point going for an 8-core unless you're a streamer or editor.

Also you could get a C-type cooler to help the VRMS, like https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-c14s-top-flow-flexible-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-030-nc.html

I was thinking of swapping my Noctua D15 for that, but it seems like X370 boards are fine for VRM temps, which is what I've gone for.

Associate
You might want to go for the R5 if you're going for B350. They seem to have VRM temperature issues at high clocks, due to having less phases and smaller heatsinks.

A 6-core would put less stress on the VRMs than an 8-core. And it seems like for now there's no point going for an 8-core unless you're a streamer or editor.

Also you could get a C-type cooler to help the VRMS, like https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-c14s-top-flow-flexible-cpu-cooler-140mm-hs-030-nc.html

I was thinking of swapping my Noctua D15 for that, but it seems like X370 boards are fine for VRM temps, which is what I've gone for.

What about MSI Mortar? Heard anything about it?

Associate
I was in the same position as you. Didn't have a clue what board to go for. In the end, I went with the MSI Carbon, it should arrive Monday. I went with it because it looks fantastic. It seems to have all the features I would ever want or need, and it's emphasis is on VR.

If you want me to check anything out for you before you decide to buy I can do so on Monday. It might help you make up your mind.

Oh, I was holding out until some of the similar priced Asrock boards came in stock, I just got fed up waiting. Knowing my luck, every motherboard is going to be in stock on Monday :)

Yeah! Id be interested to know which memory you've gone for and whether it needs an overclock to get its rated speed. Just your general thoughts on it?

I honestly think ill keep things at stock and just get 2666 memory. I don't mind tinkering but this is replacing a 9 year old Q6600 system so i do need it to work solidly ha...

I was waiting for either this or the K7. I know they are in different price leagues but all the stability issues have scared me a little... my thought was more $ = more stability... that's probably wishful thinking.

Associate

Haven't specifically heard about that board, but it's still only 4 Phases with a small heatsink. Also the 2 SoC phases and VRMs have no heatsink.

You might be able to get away with 3.8-3.9 GHz on an 8-core if you also have a C-type cooler as previously mentioned.

Associate
Latest Beta Bios for MSI B350 Tomahawk (1.32) seems to support CPU BCLK Adjustments I thought this was a feature only available on X370 boards?

Associate
They might give you the option to adjust it, but without a clock generator you'll have very limited flexibility, maybe get to 105MHz if you are lucky.

Yep been in windows toodling around at BCLK of 103 but if I do anything to stressful it soon crashes. More happier with the increased memory performance.

Bios's at leasr look like they are going the right way :)

Associate
Have they fixed the crazy long boot time on the tomahawk?

Yep all fixed for me. Post times now are pretty much standard. Was starting to feel a little buyers remorse for getting this board but that's all gone now, last bios update has really kicked this board into life for me

Associate
which boarrd do you reckon i could get that will work out of the box with less drama and messing about with bios updates and such just wanna drop a 1800x,already sending a msi titanium back as it was dead

any recomendations

Soldato
which boarrd do you reckon i could get that will work out of the box with less drama and messing about with bios updates and such just wanna drop a 1800x,already sending a msi titanium back as it was dead

any recomendations
The crosshair is working fine for me, to be on the safe side I flashed the bios before I even installed the cpu and ram and so far it's been pretty good

Soldato

Im still waiting for the Mortar, the Arctic version, some shops are saying Monday 27th, others are saying, Friday 31st, but we'll see.

I wouldnt over worry about the VRM temps, 3.9ghz - 4ghz out of a 1700 is all you can expect to reach anyway at sensible voltages, and whilst your stress testing, just stick a fan over them, they'll never get that hot again in anything else you really do, same applies to CPU temps, obviosly my VRMs are getting hot as im water cooling so I dont have a fan anywhere near them, ive put my antec spotcool over the VRM's for now until I finish pushing the clocks ans stress testing and then it'll come out.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah! Id be interested to know which memory you've gone for and whether it needs an overclock to get its rated speed. Just your general thoughts on it?

I honestly think ill keep things at stock and just get 2666 memory. I don't mind tinkering but this is replacing a 9 year old Q6600 system so i do need it to work solidly ha...

I was waiting for either this or the K7. I know they are in different price leagues but all the stability issues have scared me a little... my thought was more $ = more stability... that's probably wishful thinking.

The Gskill memory seems to be best for Ryzen, I would recommend getting the 3600mhz as AMD are working on a microcode update that will support at least 3400mhz RAM, and AMD have said that Ryzen will support at least 3600mhz ram. If you're able to get to 3600mhz that would be an effective 500mhz overclock on the CPU from 2666mhz ram as the interconnect is directly linked to the memory speed and will give you significant improvements unlike on Intel chipsets where the memory speed doesn't make much difference to performance.

This video shows the performance improvements you should get with faster RAM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA

Associate
Any advice on whether to get either Asus prime x370 pro, asrock killer sli, asrock gaming k4, or MSI pro gaming carbon? Also does anyone know of a confirmed single rank b-die ram for sale at overclockers? Would prefer to buy from ocuk, but will buy gskill elsewhere if needed.

Leaning toward the Asus due to being in stock and being popular, but I don't know which is technically better.

Associate
Any advice on whether to get either Asus prime x370 pro, asrock killer sli, asrock gaming k4, or MSI pro gaming carbon? Also does anyone know of a confirmed single rank b-die ram for sale at overclockers? Would prefer to buy from ocuk, but will buy gskill elsewhere if needed.

Leaning toward the Asus due to being in stock and being popular, but I don't know which is technically better.

People have been saying not very nice things about the Asus from what I've seen.

I'd probably go with whichever one claims it can support the fastest RAM, since RAM speed is so important for Ryzen.

Also as much as people seem to like the asrock boards, I'm a little wary if them only having 2 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom