What annoys you about your current car?

Soldato
Car #1
Stop Start on a VW with DSG. Just annoying in anything other than heavy bumper to bumper traffic. Turn it off on start about 95% of the time.
The VW DSG, is so laggy. You have to anticipate it in fast urban traffic, pulling out of junctions etc.
Older version of BlueTooth, no music controls. No rear Camera (never had one but I assume its great)
DPF fliter worry

Car #2
No sunroof.
Ancient CD/MP3
No cruise control.
Windscreen was replaced and they moved the rearview Mirror slightly high. Hard to get your fingers around it. We swap cars a lot so are always moving it.

Man of Honour
A squeaky clutch pedal

What’s a clutch pedal?
Just kidding, once I drove an auto, there was no way that I’d ever buy a manual again.
The thing that used to drive me nuts was the Sat-Nav screen on my wife’s Peugeot 2008, I rarely drove it and then only in London, so I didn’t need the Sat-Nav, but the backlight from the screen distracted me, even in the day.
I learned that if I turned the radio on this stopped the map appearing, but when I got home and engaged R to back on to the drive the map lit up again, no big deal, it took 3 or 4 seconds.
My wife suggested parking head in, but reversing in was the habit of a lifetime for someone who drove for a living, so much easier to drive out than back out.
Save for when you need access to the boot at a supermarket of course.

Associate
Stop/start - when I test drove my car I almost had an accident on the first junction due to it turning itself off and introducing more lag to get the car going. I wish there was a way to turn it permanently off, hopefully when I get a custom remap then they can sort that for me.

Soldato
Autonomous emergency braking system - overly sensitive and throws a random wobbly when passing parked cars. Can't disable it permanently.
Auto headlights - again too sensitive and turn themselves on when passing under the shadow of bridges on sunny days.
No volume knob on stereo - now fixed with aftermarket headunit.
Small fuel tank
No reach adjustment on steering wheel
Rain gutters can only drain from the front, so if you park on an incline in the rain then drive off, you get a big sloosh of water the first time you hit the brakes.

All pretty minor and massively outweighed by the things I do like about it! :cool:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Headlight washers! All they do is fire screenwash up the bonnet and down the wings. Bloody pointless. :mad:

Associate
Hmm... infotainment system not quite working as well as it should with Android Auto.
Occasionally the DSG is a bit hesitant.
Still miss a NA vs Turbo petrol engine.

Soldato
So you actually have no idea how the system you are criticising works? Why did you post then? I'm not aware of a single start stop system in a car with a manual transmission that will stop the engine with the clutch pedal depressed and the car in gear!

You've demonstrated my point perfectly, people just decide it's terrible without having any idea and then that's that.

Going from the previous replies and my own experience with our manual Skoda Fabia, im guessing the stop/start on VAG cars is clearly crap.

There been many times at traffic lights and roundabouts where I've 'beaten' the stop/start system going from neutral into 1st.

If you press the clutch and shift into 1st, the car can sometimes bog down as the revs haven't gotten high enough after the engine restarts. This causes a complete stall sometimes but mostly means you end up with a couple of seconds delay where pull away very slowly and potentially dangerously.

Caporegime
Stop/start has been added to cars because it helps the car get better mileage in official urban tests with lots of simulated stops, queuing traffic and traffic lights. If the engine isn’t running then it’s not using any fuel.

I’ve had it on my old Focus and as said above it only stopped in neutral with the clutch pedal released and the engine fired up in plenty of time to engage first and list the clutch again, especially if I had the handbrake on as well. In my 428i it restarts so quickly even moving from the brake pedal to the accelerator is enough time to start moving by it’s an auto. I don’t get the hate for it really.

Soldato
Sport mode button is some obscure button down by your right knee.

It only has one cup holder and it's infront of the gearstick so it won't fit anything larger than a 330ml can.

Man of Honour
Going from the previous replies and my own experience with our manual Skoda Fabia, im guessing the stop/start on VAG cars is clearly crap.

I have mostly only driven Audi's with stop start and it's always been fine. Perhaps the system is different on a VW or Skoda but I'd be surprised.

Associate
2017 Fiesta ST3 two things.

The doors don’t automatically lock when you drive off and the teeny tiny infotainment screen. They could have easily put a bigger screen into the dash but instead they went with something akin to an old Nokia phone and lots of plastic surrounding it.

Associate
2017 Fiesta ST3 two things.

The doors don’t automatically lock when you drive off and the teeny tiny infotainment screen. They could have easily put a bigger screen into the dash but instead they went with something akin to an old Nokia phone and lots of plastic surrounding it.

Jesus christ, no anti-hijack? :eek:

My A3 from 2001 had that.

Sure you can't enable it?

Soldato

There been many times at traffic lights and roundabouts where I've 'beaten' the stop/start system going from neutral into 1st.

If you press the clutch and shift into 1st, the car can sometimes bog down as the revs haven't gotten high enough after the engine restarts. This causes a complete stall sometimes but mostly means you end up with a couple of seconds delay where pull away very slowly and potentially dangerously.

The laggy throttles in VAG cars doesnt help either. Actually going from a stop to moving feels quite lathargic with all this crap going on before the engine responds.

But I dont drive them that often so maybe people get used to it. They always feel like driving a jittering sponge cake after my usual type of cars.

Last edited:
Associate
Car 1: The stop start in my beemer does my head in. I don’t mind stop start in general, but mine kills the engine before I’ve even stopped ! Rolling forward to a junction slightly on the brake to hold the creep (it’s an auto), just about to jump on the roundabout, doof! Engine cuts out. Then craps it’s pants when it realises I want to actually move forward and makes a mess of the take off. If only it would wait a few seconds from the car halting to actually stopping the engine would be enough. In the end I now switch it off most of the time it’s so annoying.

Car 2: I wish it was just a fraction longer in the boot space. The number of times I wish it was just slightly bigger to fit something I. .

Associate
Infotainment on mine - if my wife has used the car and it was connected to her phone, then I get in the car it connects to her phone again, then disconnects when I get out of range but does not automatically search for another phone to pair with... Otherwise the car is surprisingly annoyance free... (17 Subaru Forester).

Oh one other thing, the door auto locking activates as soon as you turn the key rather than when you start moving as it has in other cars I've owned. I keep locking my wife out :cry:

Associate
The thing that's annoying me with my F40 M135i above anything else is how uncomfortable I'm finding the seat. No amount of adjustment seems to make a difference, I get a painful left buttock and leg after about 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom