what anti virus are we using now

Associate
Funny, I just saw this thread as I've not used anvti virus in probably a decade. Right now I have an issue which I can only think might be a bitcoin miner. Cpu at idle after a while starts hitting 100%, temps hit 65. BUT when I open task manager it all chills out and goes away, so I shut down TM then after "a while" it starts again. I've run Malware bytes and now installed ESET and it's found nothing:confused: This isn't behaviour I've seen before

Associate
Funny, I just saw this thread as I've not used anvti virus in probably a decade. Right now I have an issue which I can only think might be a bitcoin miner. Cpu at idle after a while starts hitting 100%, temps hit 65. BUT when I open task manager it all chills out and goes away, so I shut down TM then after "a while" it starts again. I've run Malware bytes and now installed ESET and it's found nothing:confused: This isn't behaviour I've seen before
Emisoft emergency kit, EEK, is very good at sniffing out malware and viruses, it's totally free for home use, it might be worth running it for peace of mind.

Associate
Hmm that could be a coincidence or it could be a program suspending activity when task manager is opened. Have you tried an alternative like SysInternals process explorer?
IT definitely feels like it's deliberately suspending activity. I actually downloaded Process hacker the other day actually.
Emisoft emergency kit, EEK, is very good at sniffing out malware and viruses, it's totally free for home use, it might be worth running it for peace of mind.
I'll give it a bash

Man of Honour
Similar, Defender as mentioned but around once a month when I do my backup runs, I prep that run with a quick scan with Malware Bytes and SUPER (both free versions) and do a quick scan with CCleaner Portable (the good version) which has tightly tweaked (see screenshot for the options I select) to only remove actual garbage that collects in the registry over time like orphaned desktop items that are still referenced, or uninstalled game entries in the reg etc. Other than tracking cookies from the browser which are a trivial anyway, all is always fine.

It all takes a few minutes and ensures my backups have peace of mine.

This is what I like to see on a monthly basis :cool:

ke0kXVp.jpg

Permabanned
Just windows defender, and I scan with malwarebytes occasionally..

Not had much in the way of a virus for a long while, there was a weird app I found running in the background once which exhibited some odd behaviour but it was easy to remove.

I've actually found this on a number of systems over the last threes years, I'm guessing it's some kind of Crypto software due the high CPU / Memory usage but it seems to dodge a lot of antivirus / malware software..

Last edited:
Soldato
Until recently, Ariva, Kaspersky Cloud and Avast!. All free versions.

Now only using Windows (10) Defender/common sense when browsing and have had absolutely no issues. System feels a lot more slicker as well!

EJB

EJB

Associate
All successive versions of Windows.
Use F-Secure as I have for many years.
Always costs £50 for 3 PCs for 2 years....as it has for many years!!
Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner free monthly scans.
I do generally recommend Windows Defender and the above free scans to newcomers who ask my advice.

Back
Top Bottom