What are my AIO choices?

Soldato
RMA'ed my second AIO now and the units are no longer stocked, or they could be, maybe, I dunno, I'm getting ambiguous statements, haha! What are good quality AIOs for consideration? Silence>Cooling>Looks.

Failing AIOs what's good for air these days?

I saw a peltier cooler a while back, essentially looked like a high-end air cooler with some IO/power terminals attached, anyone know if they are worth looking more at?

Cheers guys, spec in sig :)

Associate
I dismantled my full custom water cooling loop for the last time and sold it all last month. Couldn't be doing with the hassle anymore.

Bought myself an ID cooling frostflow 240L and loving it. Very quiet, performs spectacularly and very reasonably priced.

Soldato
Try and ignore the fact peltiers exist, they're incredibly inefficient.

If you have no luck with AIO coolers, take a look at the Noctua NH-D15, it's a beast. There's a few others in its league too.
Alternatively, are you willing to try building a proper WC loop?

Soldato
OP
I dismantled my full custom water cooling loop for the last time and sold it all last month. Couldn't be doing with the hassle anymore.

Bought myself an ID cooling frostflow 240L and loving it. Very quiet, performs spectacularly and very reasonably priced.

Cheers, will look into that one, I should have specified 360 or 280, mind! Doh!

Big air coolers are the quietest and most reliable air coolers. Recommended models are the big ones.

:D Yes we all know that smarty pants but build quality/materials etc. I do have a Noctua in this old system I'm currently using D14 I think? It struggles at times.

Try and ignore the fact peltiers exist, they're incredibly inefficient.

If you have no luck with AIO coolers, take a look at the Noctua NH-D15, it's a beast. There's a few others in its league too.
Alternatively, are you willing to try building a proper WC loop?

I'd rather stick with AIOs, I'd even stick with the one that keeps failing if I can get one of the more recent revisions if they have fixed the issues, I have been really lucky with the leaks, also. Water has only hit the HDDs opposite the power/data etc. I don't think I have the time to look after a WC loop if I'm honest, the time needed and my back being as it is these days, it's just really impractical :\

Soldato
:D Yes we all know that smarty pants but build quality/materials etc. I do have a Noctua in this old system I'm currently using D14 I think? It struggles at times.

I'd rather stick with AIOs, I'd even stick with the one that keeps failing if I can get one of the more recent revisions if they have fixed the issues, I have been really lucky with the leaks, also. Water has only hit the HDDs opposite the power/data etc. I don't think I have the time to look after a WC loop if I'm honest, the time needed and my back being as it is these days, it's just really impractical :\

Curious why you want to stick with an AIO, especially in light of the issues you've had? Performance wise, a Dark Rock Pro 3 or Noctua D15 will best almost any AIO on the market, nevermind the superior value they offer. If you want an AIO for the aesthetic or because your case won't take a big air cooler, that is fine and perfectly understandable, but an AIO isn't going to give you vastly superior performance.

Soldato
OP
Curious why you want to stick with an AIO, especially in light of the issues you've had? Performance wise, a Dark Rock Pro 3 or Noctua D15 will best almost any AIO on the market, nevermind the superior value they offer. If you want an AIO for the aesthetic or because your case won't take a big air cooler, that is fine and perfectly understandable, but an AIO isn't going to give you vastly superior performance.

Space has a lot to do with it, aesthetics too, yes. There were some specific issues with the new Predators, initially and I'm hoping these are resolved with later revisions. Both of mine were early revisions as I think the first failed after a few weeks and the second months later, they seem to revolve around poor quality plastics used in the pump and/or housing and microfractures as a result going from what I found on reddit. I haven't had a lot of time recently to figure out the state of affairs but EK having the name it does, I'm willing to give them another try if I can get hold of one but I'll need alternative options if I can't but I don't have the time to go through review after review at the moment.

My greatest desire for AIO is acoustics, though. I've spent a lot of money on premium kit that is supposed to have the lowest noise for the best performance, ML case fans, PSU, Gaming X 480s (a massive disappointment) and the Predator, of course. I was even considering swapping the fans out on that as they have a quiet but annoying whispy sound in low operation, haha!

I'll have a gander at the DR pro 3 as if I have to go air, I'd really rather it wasn't silver and I'm thinking that sounds like it could be black! Cheers :D

Soldato
OP
Shame, the DR3 pro looks nice but my RAM is a little high, I have Corsair LEDs, they're around 1cm higher than regular and It looks like I would have issues swapping out the fans, seems to be annoying to fit also.

Soldato
Space has a lot to do with it, aesthetics too, yes. There were some specific issues with the new Predators, initially and I'm hoping these are resolved with later revisions. Both of mine were early revisions as I think the first failed after a few weeks and the second months later, they seem to revolve around poor quality plastics used in the pump and/or housing and microfractures as a result going from what I found on reddit. I haven't had a lot of time recently to figure out the state of affairs but EK having the name it does, I'm willing to give them another try if I can get hold of one but I'll need alternative options if I can't but I don't have the time to go through review after review at the moment.

My greatest desire for AIO is acoustics, though. I've spent a lot of money on premium kit that is supposed to have the lowest noise for the best performance, ML case fans, PSU, Gaming X 480s (a massive disappointment) and the Predator, of course. I was even considering swapping the fans out on that as they have a quiet but annoying whispy sound in low operation, haha!

I'll have a gander at the DR pro 3 as if I have to go air, I'd really rather it wasn't silver and I'm thinking that sounds like it could be black! Cheers :D

Well the whole existing Predator range is EOL, a new line is being released later this year. Besides, I wouldn't touch them right now given all the leaks I've read about.

If acoustics are your primary concern though, I wouldn't be looking at an AIO. They are invariably always going to be louder than something like the DRP3 given you have to factor in the pump noise on top of the fans... that's an extra noise making element over an air cooler, so it's pretty obvious which one is going to be noisier lol! It's not an issue at idle, but under load is where you will notice. A friend of mine has a Corsair AIO and regrets buying it for this exact reason.

Have you ruled out the custom loop route? It is expensive, but if you want silence, it's the best way to go. Offers the ultimate aesthetic also.

Soldato
OP
Well the whole existing Predator range is EOL, a new line is being released later this year. Besides, I wouldn't touch them right now given all the leaks I've read about.

If acoustics are your primary concern though, I wouldn't be looking at an AIO. They are invariably always going to be louder than something like the DRP3 given you have to factor in the pump noise on top of the fans... that's an extra noise making element over an air cooler, so it's pretty obvious which one is going to be noisier lol! It's not an issue at idle, but under load is where you will notice. A friend of mine has a Corsair AIO and regrets buying it for this exact reason.

Have you ruled out the custom loop route? It is expensive, but if you want silence, it's the best way to go. Offers the ultimate aesthetic also.

I'm tempted to go back to air, I just don't have the time to deal with **** like this these days. They said I could have a refund, then that I could have a refund if they didn't have any in stock, and then send me an email telling me they are sending it back to EK for repair. Up to another 28 days of downtime and I'll probably be busy when it gets here, knowing my luck, it's making my head hurt. £4k build with all the extras, and half of the premium stuff I have is ****, quite frankly. Looks like I'm stuck with it all, though. Wouldn't risk a full loop at this point, it's just an extra potential layer of problems on top of all the other crap. Must say I have never noticed the pump noise on the Predators but the gfx cards sound like jet engines at load because the ******* heatsinks are that loose, haha! God, I hate this build.

I just hope I get a whole new unit without the ****** plastics around the pump/res, if I have to do this again, I'll be spitting poison.

Soldato
I'm tempted to go back to air, I just don't have the time to deal with **** like this these days. They said I could have a refund, then that I could have a refund if they didn't have any in stock, and then send me an email telling me they are sending it back to EK for repair. Up to another 28 days of downtime and I'll probably be busy when it gets here, knowing my luck, it's making my head hurt. £4k build with all the extras, and half of the premium stuff I have is ****, quite frankly. Looks like I'm stuck with it all, though. Wouldn't risk a full loop at this point, it's just an extra potential layer of problems on top of all the other crap. Must say I have never noticed the pump noise on the Predators but the gfx cards sound like jet engines at load because the ******* heatsinks are that loose, haha! God, I hate this build.

I just hope I get a whole new unit without the ****** plastics around the pump/res, if I have to do this again, I'll be spitting poison.

Yeah, many GPUs can be FAR more noisy than any AIO or air cooler will be under load, which is why I often question the AIO route in the first place. For silence, a custom loop with GPU is by far the best solution, but it comes with a lot of work, cost and potential headache if things go wrong, so I totally understand your reluctance to go down that road.

Soldato
I used Alphacool Eisbaer and Silent Loop on a few builds - few issues i've heard with Silent loop and Eisbaer is louder then its smaller sibling but not as loud as some Asetek ones out there.

also modular and doesn;t leak! then again they use a bloke in china with the worlds strongest hands as its impossible to undo the compression fittings haha

also alphacool and been having a field day with EK leaks

Soldato
OP
Yeah, many GPUs can be FAR more noisy than any AIO or air cooler will be under load, which is why I often question the AIO route in the first place. For silence, a custom loop with GPU is by far the best solution, but it comes with a lot of work, cost and potential headache if things go wrong, so I totally understand your reluctance to go down that road.

It's mostly time and back problems, ha! I need some kind of backup cooling, though. Going to have to look for something that works well with the tall RAM and doesn't dwarf the case.

Soldato
OP
I used Alphacool Eisbaer and Silent Loop on a few builds - few issues i've heard with Silent loop and Eisbaer is louder then its smaller sibling but not as loud as some Asetek ones out there.

also modular and doesn;t leak! then again they use a bloke in china with the worlds strongest hands as its impossible to undo the compression fittings haha

also alphacool and been having a field day with EK leaks

New AIO is out the window now, they seem to be sending it back to EK for repair or something, I should ask them to clarify in support, really. Could just be generic emails confusing matters.

Soldato
New AIO is out the window now, they seem to be sending it back to EK for repair or something, I should ask them to clarify in support, really. Could just be generic emails confusing matters.

wonder if you'll get EKs Gen 2?

although it sounds to me they are doing what Aqua Computer does which well Rads with Pump blocks and look smart, very very smart but more in the lines of Custom water cooling. do get the option for a D5 pump though :)

Soldato
OP
wonder if you'll get EKs Gen 2?

although it sounds to me they are doing what Aqua Computer does which well Rads with Pump blocks and look smart, very very smart but more in the lines of Custom water cooling. do get the option for a D5 pump though :)

I'll have to look into this, I haven't heard anything about it but I was only looking for my issues. If there isn't anything promotional online, they are probably months off.

Soldato
OP
As they have gone EOL with no replacement yet in production, I'm guessing leaks really were that bad. This does not fill me with confidence about a replacement and the gen2 is not until the beginning of Q2, so I can't see me getting that unless they are ahead of schedule and sending me a review sample. They don't even have pics available yet and I'd be a little unsure about case compatibility. Not sure what Aqua Computer's version looks like for reference. Anyone got a link or the product name as nothing is jumping out at me.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-announcing-modular-liquid-cooling-products/

Have asked support what is happening with the unit, anyway. May get some clarification.

Soldato
As they have gone EOL with no replacement yet in production, I'm guessing leaks really were that bad. This does not fill me with confidence about a replacement and the gen2 is not until the beginning of Q2, so I can't see me getting that unless they are ahead of schedule and sending me a review sample. They don't even have pics available yet and I'd be a little unsure about case compatibility. Not sure what Aqua Computer's version looks like for reference. Anyone got a link or the product name as nothing is jumping out at me.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-is-announcing-modular-liquid-cooling-products/

Have asked support what is happening with the unit, anyway. May get some clarification.

images

thats the aquacomputer stuff with D5 pump

images

DDC version

might of seen on the forum about aquacomputer gear being able to be monitored left right and center . believe these units can have flow and temps monitored

again not sure if it'll work with your case. Why i mentioned Eisbaer AIO

Back
Top Bottom