What are my chances of getting some kind of refund..

Soldato
OK so this is an odd one and more down to my stupidity but here goes!
Way back in 2012 I purchased a MacBook Pro Retina directly from Apple. It developed a fault and Apple replaced it. I've just realised (yes, now in 2018) that the replacement doesn't have the Nvidia 650GT card. It's the inferior (and much cheaper!) Intel HD4000 model.

I have all the receipts + I'm sure Apple have records to corroborate since there was a length customer complaint issue leading up to the replacement.

I totally appreciate this is well beyond anything which might be considered a reasonable amount of time.

Thought I'd get some views on here. See if it's worth a shot! :) Might get a mouse mat out of them?

Associate
Way back in 2012 I purchased a MacBook Pro Retina directly from Apple. It developed a fault and Apple replaced it. I've just realised (yes, now in 2018) that the replacement doesn't have the Nvidia 650GT card. It's the inferior (and much cheaper!) Intel HD4000 model.

You sure it just has Intel HD4000? I don't think there has been a 15" MacBook Pro Retina that just has that chip. They usually have two (a dGPU + integrated) which they switch between depending on what's required to save power.

Edit: they did do one with just Intel Iris Pro 5200 which was the 2015 base model one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You sure it just has Intel HD4000? I don't think there has been a 15" MacBook Pro Retina that just has that chip. They usually have two (a dGPU + integrated) which they switch between depending on what's required to save power.

Edit: they did do one with just Intel Iris Pro 5200 which was the 2015 base model one.

Screen_Shot_2018-09-12_at_17.00.01.png

Associate

So click system report > go to Graphics/Displays

It should list two there. The dGPU will only get used when it's needed (ie. plugged into external display / doing something graphically intensive)

Soldato
OP
Yeah figured it out after some Googling before going to Apple. The energy saver has a feature which switches between onboard and discreet GFX. As you rightly stated. Oddly. When I switch it off both cards show in the About section.

Anyway. Tiny bit dissapointed because I was poised to have a go, but that disappointment is somewhat insignificant compared to feeling like such a div :o:)

Back
Top Bottom