What are these white spots on my palm and how to get rid?

Soldato
Hi all, I have an indoor palm type plant in my living room and lately I have noticed there are tiny white spots on some of the leaves. If you zoom in on them with a phone camera they look like tiny bugs from some angles?

I assume I need to clean them off and treat the plant with some insecticide of some sort, any ideas what to buy to treat it?

Photos:-

IMG-20211215-233357.jpg

IMG-20211215-233408.jpg

Soldato

Absolute pests these things, they'll drink your plant alive if you don't get rid.

Plain old soapy water in a spray bottle is good for these critters - the soapy water starts to dissolve their bodies. Just spray over the leaves and check back in a few days and repeat as necessary.

Another good tactic to use with the above are these sticky fly catching sheets, they're bright yellow and extremely sticky so once they land on them they can't move.

Caporegime
Think they are mealy bugs.

I have about 30 house plants. Get some provonto bug spray. It's one of the few things that works.

Soldato
OP
Hahahaha!!!! Loving the responses :cry:

Thanks though, on further inspection it looks like Mealy bugs. I've washed the leaves with soapy water and got most of them off. Got some Miracle Grow Bug Clear Ultra arriving tomorrow from the rainforest place that I will apply.

Caporegime
Hahahaha!!!! Loving the responses :cry:

Thanks though, on further inspection it looks like Mealy bugs. I've washed the leaves with soapy water and got most of them off. Got some Miracle Grow Bug Clear Ultra arriving tomorrow from the rainforest place that I will apply.

Should be OK for mealy bugs. But all the plant geeks swear by provonto. I had thrips which basically killed one of my plants in 1 week. Provonto knocked the little ***** out.

Back
Top Bottom