What are you cooking for Christmas Dinner: 2018 Edition

Soldato
I love to see what other people are planning for Christmas day, whether it's the traditional Turkey/Goose or something different like a nice Filet steak and lobster.

This year there will be 11 of us at my mum's house which will be quite a challenge so we'll be going for Turkey and Ham, I'd prefer Turkey and Beef but can't complain. It'll also be with the usual accompaniments (does anyone else have Yorkshire pudding with their Christmas meal?) and a nice cheesecake and gateaux for dessert, we usually buy a small Christmas pudding too as only a few people like that.

So, what is everyone else having Christmas Day?

Soldato
We seem to have ended up with silly amounts of options given there's only going to be 9 of us :\

The kids moan about turkey so we're gonna roast a chicken the day before, then my mother in law is gonna do pork and ham and we're gonna do a small turkey. Then topped off with one of my nieces being vegetarian!

Soldato
I'm not cooking, my Dad will be. Going for the traditional Turkey & Ham on Christmas day itself. Having another nice big meal on boxing day at a pub though and have chosen Pheasant as my main :)

Soldato
I'm considering beef wellington this year too, but I've never made it before and don't want to ruin Christmas dinner. :D

I'd like to do a ham too. Maybe Christmas Eve.

We often try to look at dishes or ingredients from other countries and play on that.

Associate
Going mad and doing a BBQ this year! Braving it rain or shine :D

Menu is pretty basic:- Bourbon Chicken, Steak Burgers, Pigs in Blankets, Roasties with Garlic and Herbs, Stuffed Flat Mushrooms, Warm Potato Salad with Bacon/Lardons and Spicy Rice.

Should keep the in-laws happy.

Shawrey

Permabanned
I'm considering beef wellington this year too, but I've never made it before and don't want to ruin Christmas dinner. :D

We often try to look at dishes or ingredients from other countries and play on that.

Its a bit faffy but not that difficult, quite expensive though depending on how many you are feeding, cooking for 8 of us this year. :)

Caporegime

Beef wellington is great at Christmas. Feels very luxurious and special occasion. Have a practice run first!

Soldato
Probably do a roast fillet of beef with dauphinouise potatoes, glazed carrots and caramelised parsnips.

I'm a big fan of roast duck, but rest of family fancy beef.

Will also cook a ham in cider and dark sugar.

Love crimbo food (except turkey)

Soldato
OP
Probably do a roast fillet of beef with dauphinouise potatoes, glazed carrots and caramelised parsnips.

I'm a big fan of roast duck, but rest of family fancy beef.

Will also cook a ham in cider and dark sugar.

Love crimbo food (except turkey)

I absolutely love Turkey and won't have it all year so I enjoy it on Christmas Day, we usually go for a crown too over the standard bird.

Soldato
We're driving from my girlfriend's parents down to my mum's on Christmas day and probably won't arrive until 1ish. So we're going fairly simple (crown from M&S etc.). My mum usually likes smoked salmon for starter but for years and years it's just been brown bread, smoked salmon, some salad and a wedge of lemon (lol). Any ideas for prettifying that or doing it a bit different? We did a celeriac remoulade with it last year which was good, the girlfriend suggested blinis? :confused:

tldr; spec me a smoked salmon starter? :)

Caporegime
We're driving from my girlfriend's parents down to my mum's on Christmas day and probably won't arrive until 1ish. So we're going fairly simple (crown from M&S etc.). My mum usually likes smoked salmon for starter but for years and years it's just been brown bread, smoked salmon, some salad and a wedge of lemon (lol). Any ideas for prettifying that or doing it a bit different? We did a celeriac remoulade with it last year which was good, the girlfriend suggested blinis? :confused:

tldr; spec me a smoked salmon starter? :)
Wack it on some blinis with creme fraiche and chives.

Back
Top Bottom