What are you getting your families for xmas?

Man of Honour
Every year my wife asks me what I’d like for Christmas and every year I tell her thanks but don’t get me anything.
Every year I end up with a bottle of vodka or Canadian rye whiskey.
This year I’ve bought her some Agent Provocateur pyjamas and matching robe.
I send my kid and his wife in Germany a hamper of English foodstuffs, cheeses, biscuits etc and wine, (not English).
I transfer whatever €100 is in pounds sterling into his English bank account, and he gives his two boys €50 each from opa.
I buy my kid and his wife in North London a dinner for two voucher at a top restaurant.
At my request my English daughter-in-law buys something for my English grandkids and I transfer whatever she spends into her bank account.

Soldato
My family do birthday presents instead. We normally buy something from the local butchers such as beef wellington etc and a cake from the local cake shop. Supporting the local economy and all that.

Besides my birthday is next month so my parents can buy things for me in the sales…

Associate
My toddler neice is the only person I get a gift for. Everyone else it's a don't get me anything and I won't get you anything deal. I have no interest in Christmas really. Much ado about nothing.

Commissario
I'd love to be able to buy my parents Xmas presents. :(
I know where you're coming from.

My dad went about ten years ago and last year, my mum went into hospital on Christmas morning. She came out on the afternoon of New Years day and died that evening.

All the presents to her from the family were still there, unopened. That hurt.

Associate
Main thing is for people to get together and see each other....the only good thing about the present thing if done right is it gets you to think about the other person and what they like... clearly does not work if you just get something for the sake of it.

I get stuff for kids, parents, wife but not my brother and sisters....

Soldato
This is the first Christmas my brother and I have agreed not to buy anything for each other and our other halves because we don't want anything.

My wife told me what she wanted so I got that and some chocolate and alcohol for something to open that will definitely get used.

Parents my mum gives us and idea what she wants and my brother and I put toward it. My dad just wants alcohol so he usually gets red wine but struggling to find a gift set for him.

That's it really, my mum loves Christmas and makes a massive deal of it buying loads of tat just for something to open, every year we say please don't but she does it anyway!

Caporegime
I can bring it down a bit lower.

I really don't Christmas i Sweden. It traditions mean nothing to me. The food is crap. TV is worse than the UK.
Best thing about it is triple pay if i can swap with someone to work.
It honestly is the worst time to be away from the UK and my side of the family.
We did UK xmas in 2019 and im quite sure we both had covid19 so it was a complete washout. Couldn't taste a single thing.
I hope we can do UK christmas again next year, hope my mum is still arround for it. happy times. k

Presents? I just buy nonsense or joke stuff usually to the value of about 50 quid. Nobody actually wants or needs anything. Sweden is a weird place.

Soldato
First Christmas without my mum this year so it'll likely be a quiet one, my siblings kids are the only ones that get presents, we stopped buying tat for each other years and years ago as it's a waste of money. Just doing a small meal this year too, me and my Dad a roast beef dinner.

Caporegime
I call Shenanigans. That is just plain impossible.

Every single year they play the same racially, religiously, sexuality inclusive film, with the same cliche "foreigner" that someone brings to Xmas dinner that turns out to be "just like us!" Usually some 50 year old milf woman finds a 20 year old Iraqi swede, and they meet her grown up kids hahaha, oh its so funny.
Someone will get too drunk, usually a Santa. a couple of Exs will meet and realise that they should have stayed together. An old man will meet and old woman and have hilarious old stinky sex. They'll be some crisis but every one will overcome it!! God Jul!!!!

Thell make a new one every year to add to the pile, usually directed by some 50 year old tant, menopause desperate "tant."

:p

That and watching the same Donald duck cartoon.... Bunch of weirdos lol :p

Soldato
My family doesn't buy for each other because my sister pumped out more kids than boris johnson.

Coffee/tea/hot chocolate if they are of luxury quality or well presented likely go down just as well as alcohol or chocolate in most households.

if your buying something of good quality I'd imagine most people wouldn't mind if it were an every day item.

Quality coasters, towels, tea towels, kitchen gadgets that are useful etc.
just useful things people need anyway

the older you get the less special things need to be.

If someone gifts me a decent chopping board, kitchen knife etc I'd be more than happy tbh.
Not necessarily expensive just better than what I have

This, get her a high quality ironing board.

Associate
My son (4) is getting dinosaurs, super heroes, books and educational activities. So obviously he has been very easy to buy for.

The wife is more tricky, she's getting channel perfume, pyjamas, chocolate etc but I cannot think of anything really good to get her. Her birthday is on the 23rd which compounds the issue.

I've got my brother for secret Santa and he's got a novelty t-shirt and I'll top it up with beer. Secret Santa is great as when you have a lot of little relatives if really cuts down the cost.

Soldato
Like most lads, I'm struggling to think of what to buy the Mrs (+ her immediate family) & my mum for xmas - what are you all buying for your family? Xmas gift ideas would be great! I think they are fed up of the usual, gin, wine, choc, flowers routines :D
Bought my Mum the new Ipad mini and case for Christmas
And an Apple watch SE for one my nieces

But I still have about another 7 family members to buy presents for :eek:

Back
Top Bottom