What are your options if no helmet fits?

Associate
OP
After buying and trying on 8 helmets, not one was a proper fit. No more 2XL Helmets as they're all too small so I'm definitely a 3XL or there abouts. The Schuberth C3 was close and the only one that actually had a snug fit around my head but it was too tight, I might have persevered and hoped it'd break it in if it wasn't £300 quid.

The Bell Qualifier probably was the closest to being a comfortable fit, just not quite enough pressure around my cheeks, similar problem with the HJC CL-SP and the Shoei XR1100 which surprisingly felt too big in general.

I don't have many options left but I think before buying some foam and adding it myself I might make the trip to Milton Keynes to Sportsbikeshop shop and try the remaining 3XL helmets, I think they let you order them to store which will save me some money if they don't fit. I think I've spent around £40 quid in returns thusfar. :eek:

I got one of these Helmets, It has a personalised AirFit system. maybe that will be of help
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1957#
I ended up with this one.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/426961
Yeah I saw a similar helmet on Fortnine's Best helmets video. Be nice if they put that in 3XL helmets

Sometimes you just need to get as close as you can and persevere. The lining will give a little in time but not in a few hours / days.
Yeah I think you're right.

Soldato
I just found the Bell RS7 is a good fit for me in 61cm size.

But it’s a bit over your price bracket and think it’s only approved for racing, not biking.

I'd rather wear something racing approved on the road and knew it was was a good fit than something which was a poor fit but had the gold sticker.

It's not something which is Policed really. Won't have any issues with a decent helmet being worn properly, sticker or not. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself with crazy visors or otherwise!

Look how many people ride with modular helmets with the flip front up on helmets not approved for such use.

Man of Honour
I'd rather wear something racing approved on the road and knew it was was a good fit than something which was a poor fit but had the gold sticker.

It's not something which is Policed really. Won't have any issues with a decent helmet being worn properly, sticker or not. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself with crazy visors or otherwise!

Look how many people ride with modular helmets with the flip front up on helmets not approved for such use.
Ones designed for racing in cars tend to have much smaller visor openings and are generally not designed for use on bikes though.

Associate
OP
So it's more about finding an affordable fit than simply one that does fit?
Same boat as many of us, then - Best fit you can find for the money and live with it.
For ages I went with Cabergs and Nolans, both for the internal sun visor (glasses, y'see) and the affordability. Only ever found a Shoei Neotec that fit well enough for comfort.
No it's all about fit, if there's a £700 helmet that fits I'll buy it, reluctantly. I just probably won't be insuring my bike this year :p I'd also pay out for a custom made one if that service existed

I just returned over £1k worth of helmets and yeah ideally I wanted a cheaper helmet to fit but I'd have to taken the Shoei even though £360 is a lot of money to me.

Associate
OP
Then you'll have to try them all until you find what fits and pay the price, even if it's a custom.
Otherwise, no, there are no options other than the aforementioned compromise, or giving up riding.... Most people find a compromise.

I'm well on my way to trying them all but there's always the option of modifying the helmet liner with foam as in the video, which is likely what I'm gonna do cause I'm not giving up riding.

I’m told there is a custom service... trying to get put in touch with them... but I’ve been told to expect £10-20k
Bell have a custom 3D scanning service in the States or at least they did have one and it wasn't anywhere near that much, I think it was around $1000 which seems reasonable. I'll e-mail Bell to see if they're still offering it.

Associate
OP
For the padding yes, not the helmet shell

Well yeah they're basically customising a helmet they already manufacture for you. The EPS liner and then the comfort liner is a custom fit your head. So assuming they have a suitable shell size it should be close to perfect. My problem is the the Bell Star only goes up to XXL, so there's that and I don't think they're legal here.

Associate
OP
So frustrating, just tried on a Caberg C10A5017 XXXL and that's too large which is so annoying given that the last 3 XXXL helmets I tried on last week, the
X-Lite X-403 GT Ultra, Icon Airflite Battlescar 2 & Nexx X.WST 2 were all too small. So I think that might be it now. I've tried them all. Time to buy some memory foam.

Associate
OP
I think I finally found my helmet. LS2 Arrow R Evo 4XL. It's fits almost too tightly but it's not killing me wearing it. Based on my measurements there's no way I should be wearing a 4XL helmet but finally I think I'm good and it's got the ACU gold sticker on it too which is something I wasn't even dreaming about not that I'm planning on going for a track day. Still I do have one more helmet coming, it'd be nice if at least one other fit me.

Only thing left is to see if there's a way to replace these D-Rings things, not a fan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom