What Audiobooks are you listening to ?

Soldato
I've just finished listening to the third book in the Dungeon Crawler Carl series by Matt Dinniman.

These books have made me laugh so much I'm so glad a came across them, the characters are brilliant, also the narration by Jeff Hays brings so much life to them.

I highly recommend!

I find these thread depressing I'll look for several books people say are good and I'll own them all :(

I like the series that follows the dundeon leveling up, cannot think of its name now

Associate
OP
I loved that book, and the follow ups too. Generally most stuff narrated by Fry I'll enjoy. Also listened to the Norse mythology book, title escapes me right now, but that was also good, although a little drier and not narrated by Fry.
Mythos, narrated by Stephen Fry.
Unfortunately his silken voice tends to make me nod off after a few minutes, but fortunately i suffer with imsomnia, so i can catch up at 3 in the morning.

Yep, I loved his narration of the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series :o

Associate
OP
I find these thread depressing I'll look for several books people say are good and I'll own them all :(

I like the series that follows the dundeon leveling up, cannot think of its name now

Have you listened to The Name of the Wind, also referred to as The Kingkiller Chronicles ? It's a fantasy novel written by American author Patrick Rothfuss. Great books would sum them up as a more grown up harry potter ha! :D

Soldato
The Godfather - Mario Puzo.

Brilliant stuff, been a while since I've watched the films but it's easy for me to picture the scenes along with the narrative. Also there's some stuff that didn't make it to the screen so it's interesting to pick these the out. Although the over emphasis on Sonny's 'enormous member' was a bit much lol.

Got all 3 in an Audible sale so looking forward to listening to the sequels on my travels.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Just got into audio books in the last 6 months.. they're great for long distance driving.

Finished the Martian which was great currently 2/3 through Ready player One (I'm impressed by Wil Wheatons reading).

Associate
OP
Just got into audio books in the last 6 months.. they're great for long distance driving.

Finished the Martian which was great currently 2/3 through Ready player One (I'm impressed by Wil Wheatons reading).

I've just started on another of Andy Weir's books "Hail Mary" I'm loving it so far, great narration too. Yeah the Ready player one audiobook is great.

Commissario

Will Wheaton from what I can tell has sort of made a bit of a career in audio book narration over the last 20 years, I know he seems to be one of two preferred narrators for one fairly successful author (I think he's done something like 10 books for him).

I've been stuck on Toast on Toast by Matt Berry for a while, which I'm enjoying but haven't had a chance to listen to (I normally listen whilst in the garden or doing models but haven't been able to do either for weeks) so i'm going to try and finish that soon as there is a new series coming on the BBC.
I think it's included in the "audible plus" library now, which is getting quite impressive in terms of the number/variety of titles you can listen to for free :)

Soldato

Brilliant stuff, been a while since I've watched the films but it's easy for me to picture the scenes along with the narrative. Also there's some stuff that didn't make it to the screen so it's interesting to pick these the out. Although the over emphasis on Sonny's 'enormous member' was a bit much lol.

Got all 3 in an Audible sale so looking forward to listening to the sequels on my travels.
Ha, I was laughing at that as I'm reading the book at the moment! :D

Associate
Dead Man Running. It's about a guy who was informing on an Australian bike gang for the police.

Decent enough listen, but it sounds absolutely infantile when they use the Australian terminology like "Bikee"

Last edited:
Associate
I've just started on another of Andy Weir's books "Hail Mary" I'm loving it so far, great narration too. Yeah the Ready player one audiobook is great.

Me too..

1hSyTRgl.png.jpg

I'm really enjoying it, and like you say, Ray Porter does a great job of the narration.

Never listened to "Ready Player One", but read it when it originally came out - maybe I should give it a listen, and the sequel whilst I'm at it.

Man of Honour
I've just finished listening to the third book in the Dungeon Crawler Carl series by Matt Dinniman.

These books have made me laugh so much I'm so glad a came across them, the characters are brilliant, also the narration by Jeff Hays brings so much life to them.

I highly recommend!

Just finished listening to the existing quadrilogy of Dungeon Crawler Carl books. (5th on the way apparently) They're really good fun. Uses the same narrator as the Everybody Loves Large Chests series. He's excellent.

Moved onto 'He Who Fights with Monsters'. Aussie gets dumped into a magical world... naked with no abilities.

The Audiobook is good, but the full cast recording is excellent. Difficult to find, but worth hunting down.

Associate
Still listening to "Project Hail Mary" - currently on Chapter 11. :cool:

Just finished:

VdqBTwVm.jpg
"Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft, shares what he has learnt in more than a decade of studying climate change and investing in innovations to address climate problems. He explains how the world can work to build the tools it needs to get to net-zero greenhouse gas emissions - investing in research, inventing new technologies and deploying them quickly at a large scale. Gates is optimistic that the world can prevent the worst impacts of the climate crisis."

which was my daily listen to/from work. Wil Wheaton gets everywhere doesn't he? :)

Enjoyable and thought provoking.

Next 'on-the-tube' listen will be "The Chips (How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a revolution)". Should be fun.

Soldato
Just finished Project Hail Mary, fantastic book well read. Tempted to listen to it again straight away tbh but looking around to see what I could follow it with!

Associate
OP
Just finished Project Hail Mary, fantastic book well read. Tempted to listen to it again straight away tbh but looking around to see what I could follow it with!
100 % Agree on Hail Mary.

I've Just started "Outland" by Dennis E Taylor, also Narrated by Ray porter.

"When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, it's up to six college students and their experimental physics project to prevent the end of civilization. When an experiment to study quantum uncertainty goes spectacularly wrong"

Soldato
100 % Agree on Hail Mary.

I've Just started "Outland" by Dennis E Taylor, also Narrated by Ray porter.

"When the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, it's up to six college students and their experimental physics project to prevent the end of civilization. When an experiment to study quantum uncertainty goes spectacularly wrong"
I really enjoyed "Outland" (then again, I've loved all of Taylor's books) and it really puts the dangers of volcanic ash into terrifying perspective.

Associate
'Still' listening to "Project Hail Mary" - on Chapter 16. I've been prioritising Podcasts lately, so getting through it very slowly. I'm still really enjoying it.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom