1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What book are you reading...

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by agnes, Jul 20, 2011.

1. nocash168

Associate

I cannot recall the last time I actually read a book for myself. In fact I don't think I've ever finished a book. Read with the kids but doesn't really count.

Yesterday I decided I would get a library card. I know nothing about authors so just picked up a couple of random books from the crime section.

Currently 250 pages through David Baldacci Memory Man. I'm really enjoying it, not put it down.

Think I'm going to need a book reading light so I don't disturb my wife during the week. Anyone using one they would recommend?

2. Meridian

Man of Honour

Is that the one which is three novellas based on real events? If so I read it a long time ago. But like 1980, not 1952!

I've just finished a couple more of Claire North's books: "The First Fifiteen Lives of Harry August" and "Touch". Both are new versions of old ideas, but tremendously well done. In the first the title character lives his life over and over again: every time he dies heis reborn as himself, but with his memories of all his previous lives, enabling him to make changes. In the latter, the main character is a person who can hop from body to body if he/she touches them. The ideas are not new, but the author has thought out pretty much every consequence, espeically the human ones. Throroughly recommended.

3. neviditelny

Hitman

Don't know much about reading lights as I'm single and don't need to worry about that. But I got a Kindle that I use when I'm away or at work.

Memory Man by Baldacci is really good, I've read all the books in that series (think it is 4 books out). Baldacci got several series that are pretty good in the crime genre.
    If you want to read more good crime authors you got Michael Connelly and his series about Harry Bosch, John Connolly and his Charlie Parker-series (which delves into a bit of fantasy/supernatural stuff too), Scott Mariani (Ben Hope) and if you want something closer you have Mark Billingham and his Thorpe-series based in the London area and Ian Rankin's John Rebus up in Edinburgh.

4. nocash168

Associate

Thank you for the suggestions. Finished Memory Man this morning, enjoyed it. I will most likely read the rest in the series.

For now I have Dan Brown The Da Vinci Code to read.

5. Lokwyr

Associate

6. Lokwyr

Associate

Apologies- I left italics on for the above.

7. Housey

Man of Honour

Started this this very morning.

[​IMG]

8. Cromulent

Mobster

Just got World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects through the post. It is a bit geeky being so into World of Warcraft lore but I'm quite looking forward to reading it :D.

9. eggyoke

Wise Guy

I've not heard anyone say they disliked the movie (Swedish or US version.) I certainly don't dislike the US version but I much prefer the Swedish adaptation, I think it reflects the book perfectly and actually amplifies the heart of the characters more with it's direction and awesome cast.

10. Flaevius

Gangster

Finished Operation Mincemeat by Ben MacIntyre last week, an outline of the 1943 deception operation to fool the Germans into the belief that the Allies would not invade Sicily. Executed by the illegal acquisition of a corpse, creation of a fiction around his life and military employment and executed via dropping the corpse off Spanish waters by submarine, in the knowledge it would come to the attention of German Abwehr spies in the region. A now well-known story written with a very light touch.

Started on Double Cross by the same author, which furthers on some of the personalities in Operation Mincemeat and details the activities of five key double agents in the run up to D-Day.

11. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

Having a book break from the Expanse series. I've opted for Jason Fox's (Foxy from the SAS show) Battle Scars. Easy to pick up and read. Interesting hearing about his PTSD and depression. War isn't kind.

12. Ryan-3

Soldato

The Spy and the Traitor by Ben Macintyre. Very well written and incredibly interesting book.

13. Scam

Capodecina

Dune. So far not entirely enjoying it. I hate books with lots of unpronouncable names :o

14. Lokwyr

Associate

Hi Scam
    Dune- don't bother pronouncing the names. I've read the six-book trilogy several times over the decades and it still beats me!
    The breadth and scale of the whole set earns my appreciation. (I'd like to say 'awesome' but I'm the wrong generation!)
    Despite the complexities and timescale, I haven't detected any incongruities or inconsistencies, which satisfies my ocd. Unlike Hobbit and Lord of the Rings where the Orcs differ considerably.

Of the dvds, the Dune featuring Sting is not the best. Children of Dune has much much better cgi Worms that look the real deal.

An oddity- I've tried several other books by Herbert but could not get into them

15. Lokwyr

Associate

16. WilliG

Associate

I just got the entire Tarzan collection by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It is such an amazing piece of literature.

17. Jonnybmac

Wise Guy

I have one of these which is pretty good
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DKLY...t=&hvlocphy=9046814&hvtargid=pla-299717361751

18. melmac

Soldato

Just curious what you mean by this? Different tribes of Orcs have different ways. It's also a different time, years before the Lord of the Rings.

19. bazzabear

Wise Guy

Aren't they goblins in The Hobbit anyway, not Orcs?

20. Lokwyr

Associate

Different tribes? That's possible /probable. But Hobbits, dwarves & elves didn't change appearance(s). Gandalf was always the same for millennia :confused:
    I'd forgotten the goblins, they must have hexed me...…:eek:.