What book are you reading...

Soldato
15 years late but currently reading 'The Name Of the Wind'.

Don't need to talk it up too much. It's well documented on here what an excellent book it is. And it's not disappointing thus far at all.

I just read that for the first time last month. Great Book, the second book is good too. The only real problem is that Rothfuss hasn't finished the Trilogy. He released a prologue a while ago and promised to release a chapter of the third book soon after but never did.

He even has released two other novels in the Kingkiller's world since the release of book 2 in 2011. Some people are doubting that he will finish it at all.

Soldato
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law.

This is my second attempt to read this. A few years ago I discovered the Dresden Files, and couldn't stop reading them. I realised that I was going to speed read through all 15 books in a very short space of time. In an effort to space them out a little, I took a break around book 8 to read some other books. One of the samples I downloaded on my Kindle was The First Law. Didn't think much of it so I didn't buy it.

Roll on to June 2022. Again looking for a book to read, this time just after finishing The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Decided to give The First Law another go. And I am delighted I did. I am about halfway through the book and loving it. It's really well written with some great characters. Logan Ninefingers is one of my favourite characters in the book at the moment. It's important that I stress the "at the moment" part. I just get the feeling that Joe Abercrombie likes to keep his readers on their toes and things could change very quickly.

Not sure why it didn't click with me the first time.

taB

taB

Associate
Just finished Kingdom of Liars the debut novel from Nick Martell. Thought it was very good. A new type of magic system (a la Sanderson) and will probably appeal to readers of Abercrombie, etc.

Permabanned
Joe Abercrombie - The First Law.

This is my second attempt to read this. A few years ago I discovered the Dresden Files, and couldn't stop reading them. I realised that I was going to speed read through all 15 books in a very short space of time. In an effort to space them out a little, I took a break around book 8 to read some other books. One of the samples I downloaded on my Kindle was The First Law. Didn't think much of it so I didn't buy it.

Roll on to June 2022. Again looking for a book to read, this time just after finishing The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Decided to give The First Law another go. And I am delighted I did. I am about halfway through the book and loving it. It's really well written with some great characters. Logan Ninefingers is one of my favourite characters in the book at the moment. It's important that I stress the "at the moment" part. I just get the feeling that Joe Abercrombie likes to keep his readers on their toes and things could change very quickly.

Not sure why it didn't click with me the first time.

First Law Trilogy is decent. Bloody Nine is one of the best characters. :) His other books are not quite at the same level but still worth a read if you like the universe.

Commissario
I've only been through them once in audiobook format, but they really do deserve a reread, some great books. Would love to see some films / TV series based on the books if the producers could bring themselves to be at least somewhat faithful to the source material.

Could especially imagine excession making a really good screen adaptation as a place to start.

Top tier sci fi IMO
A bit of a delayed reply, but I can see some of his short stories potentially working very well as an animated episode of something like "Love, Death and Robots" as happened with Hamilton's "Sonnie's Edge".

Iain M Banks and Peter F Hamilton are two of the authors whose books could make stunning TV/film series if pulled off right, and I think LD&R did a really good job with the Sonnie's Edge*.

I read the Expanse short story collection the other day, most of them I'd already read in their earlier releases but there were a couple I hadn't, and I'm fairly sure there were some revisions in several of them although that maybe just how since I read them and confusing the written version with the series.
They were very good, and reading them in order like that, especially with the notes after each story by the authors shed some more light on them, it also let me put together something I'm sure I missed on my earlier readings (the story about Amos's youth, and one of the other stories).

*I'd been saying for years that Hamilton's work could be suited to a well funded animated series, mainly because that was the only way I could justice being done given the level of effects work that would be needed for live action.

Soldato
trying and failing miserably to get into The Dog Stars by Peter Heller. story seems good. writing style is utterly horrendous though (IMO) will probably give up and go read I am Legend again instead (for about the 40th time - it's my fall back book when i can't find anything else to grab my attention!)

Soldato
Just finished the last book in the Game Of Thrones series, so far. Can't believe it was published 11 years ago and George still hasn't finished Winds Of Winter.

Really apparent where the TV series started to diverge and simplify from the books though. The last book in particular was very Merreen centric with lots more going on with Daenerys than in the show, including a marriage.
Tyrion's journey towards Merreen is also different, Varys does not feature at all. Several characters brought in who are not in the TV series - Conington, Victarion, Uncle Kevan. Events in all parts of Westeros play out slightly differently, even Jon on the Wall and the true fate of Mance Ryder (won't spoil it) was an eye opener too.

Let's just hope the next book isn't too far off and it will be interesting to see how the author reconciles his plot development with the direction the show went in.

Soldato
It's just hope the next book isn't too far off and it will be interesting to see how the author reconciles his plot development with the direction the show went in.
I honestly don't think he'll ever release any more books in this series. I think his passion for it has gone and he's old and wealthy so, sadly, there's no driver for him to do any more.

Soldato
I honestly don't think he'll ever release any more books in this series. I think his passion for it has gone and he's old and wealthy so, sadly, there's no driver for him to do any more.
You may be right. In any event he has a huge problem now in how he reconciles his convoluted story telling with paragraph on paragraph going into some minor character's distant family tree, with how the TV adaptation brought the story to an end. Does he cut his losses and rewrite it as a TV series tie in novel, or do we get another 1000 pages which still doesn't even bring us to the Battle of the B&rstards, assuming that even exists in his version?

Soldato
You're assuming he still cares. I don't think he does, at all. The TV series got ahead of him so he has no surprises left, no reason to keep writing = no more books. He might continue with some more barely related short stories but IMO that's only because his publishers keep nagging him, not because he wants to.

Soldato
Best served cold - Joe Abercrombie.

Slowly working my way through the series' , actually started out of order with Age of Madness trilogy, followed by the first law trilogy and now onto the above .

Thought I'd get tired of them to be honest but still entertaining stuff and some genuine laugh out loud moments.

Soldato
Just finished Thief of Time in my quest to do all the Discworld books again this year. Thought I'd be needing a break by now but still loving them

I am getting a big itch to re-read the discworld books, especially Guards, Guards.

I'm so gutted we never got the vimes/ vetinari final face off. I would have loved to see how Pratchett resolved that.

Soldato
"Star Trek: Vendetta". This is a TNG novel that tires together the Borg, Picard, the Planet Killer from TOS, Guinan's people and loads of other things. I'm only a third through and it's made me realise how badly they've treated Star Trek in recent years. It's really good and would've made a great movie or series.

On a more entraining note, those is a "giant novel" but the paperback I'm reading (the first in many years, I'm usually fully digital) is quite small and every time I pick it up my wife giggles about me using my "big hands to hold your cutesy little, teeny-tiny book".

Soldato
I finished Lustrum by Robert Harris tonight. Excellent, from start to finish. The final sentence was a real gem.

It's about the Cicero, the Roman Consul, and the ruse of Julius Caesar.

Soldato
I finished Lustrum by Robert Harris tonight. Excellent, from start to finish. The final sentence was a real gem.

It's about the Cicero, the Roman Consul, and the ruse of Julius Caesar.

If you like this period of history i can recommend The First Man In Rome series by Collen McCollough, excellent books about this period

Back
Top Bottom