What book are you reading...

Just finished Raising Steam by Pratchett.

I haven't enjoyed most his recent efforts, with his illness you could see him fading away but this was a very good book, certainly no Guards Guards but a really solid effort and leaves me wanting one more.

Would love a good Rincewind novel to see the series out :)

Onto Republic of Thieves by Lynch now. The first two got rave reviews and whilst I've found them quite enjoyable they haven't been "unputdownable" (is that a word? :p) which is what everyone built them up to me. See how this one goes now.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about later books by clive cussler. I have quite a few of his earlier books (the dirk pit stuff) and whilst the newer books are enjoyable enough, they seem a bit lacking. Don't get me wrong, they carry you along at a pace, but I recently read Plague Ship and it was just a bit too cheesy, like a movie made for tv with a lot of tech name-dropping.

It's worth noting that I've never bought a clive cussler novel that wasn't in a second-hand book shop.... :p

Onto Republic of Thieves by Lynch now. The first two got rave reviews and whilst I've found them quite enjoyable they haven't been "unputdownable" (is that a word? :p) which is what everyone built them up to me. See how this one goes now.

I thought the same when I started, but grew to love it more and more, until it became unputdowncapableunable.

The language also had me in stitches.

Just finished the Ravenor series by Dan Abnett. Awesome trilogy. Must read for anyone who enjoys the 40k universe.

In the middle of Mark of Calth (part of the Horus Heresy series). A collection of short stories. Enjoying it at the moment.

I could do with a good sci-fi or fantasy series (not too long) to get stuck into once I'm up to date with the Horus Heresy Series, if anyone has any recommendations?

Just finished the Ravenor series by Dan Abnett. Awesome trilogy. Must read for anyone who enjoys the 40k universe.

In the middle of Mark of Calth (part of the Horus Heresy series). A collection of short stories. Enjoying it at the moment.

I could do with a good sci-fi or fantasy series (not too long) to get stuck into once I'm up to date with the Horus Heresy Series, if anyone has any recommendations?

Sword of Truth. Sure, there are 11 books, but you only really need to read Wizard's First Rule... :p

More seriously, though, if you don't mind sticking with GW-related stuff, Mark of Damnation and Mark of Heresy are two Warhammer novels I really enjoyed.

Currently finishing Sojourn, the third of the original Drizzt trilogy by R A Salvatore. Brilliant set of books, I read the first one in an afternoon!

After that, possibly going back to the Wamphyri books by Brian Lumley or carrying on with the Horus Heresy books (up to Primarchs now.)

Always recommend Nights Dawn trilogy by Hamilton when people ask for good sci fi.

I thought the same when I started, but grew to love it more and more, until it became unputdowncapableunable.

The language also had me in stitches.

This one has started a lot better than the rest, read 10% of the book since last night which is good for me with the new baby and running round like mad all the time now :p

I'm not sure about later books by clive cussler. I have quite a few of his earlier books (the dirk pit stuff) and whilst the newer books are enjoyable enough, they seem a bit lacking. Don't get me wrong, they carry you along at a pace, but I recently read Plague Ship and it was just a bit too cheesy, like a movie made for tv with a lot of tech name-dropping.

It's worth noting that I've never bought a clive cussler novel that wasn't in a second-hand book shop.... :p

I know what you mean, I found the later Dirk Pitt / Kurt Austin stuff to be like books that had been read before just with a different setting.

I have quite enjoyed all of the Oregon series tho, and to a lesser extent the Issac Bell series.

I also picked all mine up from second hand shops :D

Last edited:
Sword of Truth. Sure, there are 11 books, but you only really need to read Wizard's First Rule... :p

More seriously, though, if you don't mind sticking with GW-related stuff, Mark of Damnation and Mark of Heresy are two Warhammer novels I really enjoyed.

I'm looking for a break from GW related gubbings for now but I've made a note of them. Are the two books tied together?

Always recommend Nights Dawn trilogy by Hamilton when people ask for good sci fi.

I've heard good things about Hamilton so will definitely look into this trilogy. Thanks

At the minute I'm working my way through the Inspector Rebus books by Ian Rankin but I've taken a break to read The Wolf of Wall Street after watching the film and I've got Mike Tyson's autobiography on the go at home.

Just started reading Pep Guardiola: Another Way of Winning, it's the biography written by Guillem Balague with the foreword by Alex Ferguson. Seems really interesting so far and it chronicles his career from the end of his playing days right up to the move to managing Bayern Munchen. Looking forward to getting into it. :)

Finished Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier a few months ago. Loved the way it's written. So descriptive and captivating with a lot of suspense but expected it to be a lot more scarier as it does feature quite regularly in best horror book articles. I tried House of Leaves a few weeks ago but gave up. It's a complex read and confusing. Going to try it again.

Back
Top Bottom