1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can i do with a spare 60gb SSD?

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Count_Zero99uk, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Count_Zero99uk

Hitman

I have a spare 60gb ssd floating round, other than storing small stuff is there anything more useful i coudl do with it?

I have heard something about using them as a cache for a larger HDD? How does that work? Is it hardwear dependent?

Or is there something else?

Currently its a paperweight.

2. Armageus

Don

3. Count_Zero99uk

Hitman

Its and intel SSD 330 Series 60gb.

mobo z77-dh3 gigabyte.

But if my rebuild dosnt go well the mobo will be

Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H

Thanks.

Also what does caching do, speeds up the hdd? how ?

Cheers

4. Armageus

Don

The caching software learns which data is used regularly on the hard drive, and copies it onto the ssd. Next time that data is requested it comes from the SSD, so results in faster access times.

Z77 definitely supports Intel Smart Response, but not sure whether it's still a feature with Z370 (as intel have a newer technology - Optane, that does something similar)

Some reviews of it in use on a Z68 chipset with a 20gb SSD:
    https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4...n_w_gigabyte_z68xp_ud3_issd_review/index.html
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2593&page=1

5. Count_Zero99uk

Hitman

Cheers, though i am now looking at maybe using to stick windows 7 on a machine

6. JasonM

Wise Guy

If your booting from HDD you can either put your page file on the SSD and/or enable windows Readyboost on it.

7. APM

Wise Guy

Put a linux distro on it.

8. Jamin280672

Hitman

Im with JasonM stick your page file on it, then either grab an nvme drive for your OS or a new SSD, by putting your page file on it, you'll reduce the reads and writes to your new drive by a fair bit, making its resale value in the future better or lasting longer in general.

9. JasonM

Wise Guy

32GB Readyboost also, it will cache reads from the HDD.

I've bench marked Readyboost on a SSD, it will even increase 4k HDD read speeds in crystal disk mark.

Readyboost is totally misunderstood, I've watched Readyboost cache hits while it's running, and it's always providing benefit regardless of the memory in the computer. There is loads of people who boot from a HDD and don't realise they would benefit from it.