• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What cards are coming soon/in the pipeline?

Associate
Im guessing there will be a 3080 Super
And a 3080 Ti

As there was a 2080 super, 2080Ti
But what of the 3090. Will there likely be either a 3090 super, or a 3090 Ti, or does the 3080 cater for the space/place of one of those models?

Im less curious what will be out in the VERY top end (most expensive £1000+ model)
Im more interested when a 3080 successor will likely come out.

However, if the 20 series is anything to go by, a 3080 super would harly be an upgrade from a 3080 if history repeats itself.

There was no 2090 card - does anyone know what variants the 3090 might have, or will any variant of the 3090 be in that extreemly expensive price range?

Soldato
Full fat GP102 apparently, Maybe a Titan/90Ti, requiring the wallet of a god to purchase.

3080's could be higher clocks and more RAM, whilst a gap in the 80/90 price is doable, the gap in performance will be poor to justify apart from perceived longevity from having more RAM. I'd be interested in variants but a full fat 102 chip's performance is what I'd like to see.

Permabanned
I would be more impressed if the powers that be put more effort in trying to ensure we all get cards. To my mind this is really down to NVIDIA and they seem unwilling to avoid the misery the gamers are suffering. I mean they rattle on about unprecedented demand but I simply don't believe that. They should have had enough cards to put the scalpers out of business, yet they launched with apparently no manufacturing capability at all. Surely they must have known that?

Soldato
I googled GP102
What is that/this exactly? For a 30 series card?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gp102.g798

GA 102 is the name of the core inside certain models, in this case 3090 and 3080. GA104 is inside the 3070 etc. So Ampere is the family name and within that you have multiple cores which can be divided up to make multiple GPU products.

Personally I am not too sure we will see a 3090Ti based on the full GA102 core as currently the 3090 is nearly the full core. Full core has 10752, 3090 is down from max possible core at 10496 by 2.4% difference. We have all seen how a 3080 to 3090 scales and that differs by 21% in core size, so how much performance would a 2.4% core make.

Also down in some other areas of full fat chip, 82 SMs on 3090 vs 84 Max, 328 TMUs vs 336 but some other bits are full fat, like ROPs. So your talking a very marginal cut down off a theoretical GA102 by by a 2%-3% or so off the max core size in some areas. That is not going to give you much in the way of performance IMO looking at 3080 to 3090 scaling, probs around 2% or so I would expect at like for like clocks. Now we could see a Titan card however based on full fat core with Titan drivers and priced at $2.5k or something I think, its performance in games and tasks the 3090 is fine at would not be dissimilar, but where you can leverage the titan drivers is where the difference will come in. But may be a while, Nvidia rather have those who really need such products to stump for Quadro I imagine.

IMO aside from that we will see some models like 3070Ti, 3080Ti etc.

Soldato
I googled GP102
What is that/this exactly? For a 30 series card?
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-gp102.g798

Ah, beg your pardon. As Radox-0 says >GA102

Though that link you sent, when you select the AMpere range, the numbers Radox-0 mentions for GA102 tally exactly with the A40 and A6000 quadro cards with 48GB of RAM. So maybe the top gamer orientated card is the 3090.

If there is a Ti AND a super, I reckon one may have 16GB of GDDR6 memory and one will have 20GB of GDDR6X.

Associate
OP
I would be more impressed if the powers that be put more effort in trying to ensure we all get cards. To my mind this is really down to NVIDIA and they seem unwilling to avoid the misery the gamers are suffering. I mean they rattle on about unprecedented demand but I simply don't believe that. They should have had enough cards to put the scalpers out of business, yet they launched with apparently no manufacturing capability at all. Surely they must have known that?
I thought this way, but the bigger picture always contains things we dont know.

I do know that of the 30+ different types of joysticks OverChoppers sell, not a single one is in stock.
Take AMD cards, and the new Xbox and PS5 consoles, stock is desperately, ridiculously short there too.

The gaming industry is now bigger than the film and music industries combined.
More people are now turning to gaming at home to keep themselves occupied than ever before.

Its not just an Nvidia/their attitude thing.

Associate
OP
Ah, beg your pardon. As Radox-0 says >GA102

Though that link you sent, when you select the AMpere range, the numbers Radox-0 mentions for GA102 tally exactly with the A40 and A6000 quadro cards with 48GB of RAM. So maybe the top gamer orientated card is the 3090.

If there is a Ti AND a super, I reckon one may have 16GB of GDDR6 memory and one will have 20GB of GDDR6X.
Thats ok. I saw something about 16nm tech and thought, ... nevermind.

Im most interested in the cards that will be within reach of most folk. So probably not the Ti cards.
More the 3080 super, and... wondering what else might come out in the not too terribly distant future (next year maybe) which will also not be in the Ti price bracket.

Permabanned
I thought this way, but the bigger picture always contains things we dont know.

I do know that of the 30+ different types of joysticks OverChoppers sell, not a single one is in stock.
Take AMD cards, and the new Xbox and PS5 consoles, stock is desperately, ridiculously short there too.

The gaming industry is now bigger than the film and music industries combined.
More people are now turning to gaming at home to keep themselves occupied than ever before.

Its not just an Nvidia/their attitude thing.

Not so much an attitude thing, rather if we all knew about these issues then so should they. They should have been prepared and they clearly weren't. They effectively launched what was going to be a popular product with no guaranteed supply of the actual product. Even though we have seen the effect of shortages and miners before, they did nothing. They didn't anticipate the effect of Covid either. Had they launched with even a relatively small stockpile this would never have happened. I mean when you think of the money their in-house "experts" get, those same experts have seriously screwed up. Again. One may even suspect they don't care.

Back
Top Bottom