what coolers are people using for am4

Associate
Looking at coolers for am4, specifically for me 1700x. What sort of temperatures are you getting on load. If overclocked would be good to know too

I'm torn between a 360mm aio or a decent air cooler, but I'm not sure if an aio would cope well with an overclocked chip, my last one didn't anyhow and air was a great Improvement, however I realise technology has moved on and aios are probably better now.

Associate
a decent air cooler will usually outperform an aio in my experience. aio is great so when it works space wise (smaller cases designed for rads) but i find thermally they are no better than a good air cooler. you plug them in and get great temps but after half hour of gaming when heat soak sets in they fall in performance. tbh with water cooling you really do need a non restrictive case and air filters really slow down airflow through rads.

my 1600x is on a cryorig c7 and getting temps of 55c under load at stock speeds. i would imagine that unless your pushing the overclock water is not going to offer anything over air on AM4 as the chips seem to hit a brick wall on stability before temps get out of hand.

Soldato
I use a cryorig H7 for my 1600 @ 3.8ghz.

Temps are fine... Around 55-60 full load in a fairly restricted airflow case.

Whilst the stock cooler did I great job the main reason I went with the H7 was silence which it is!

I used to have a AIO cooler in my last build and to be honest never really rated them so after a good few years of using that and custom water happy to be back with air cooling.

Soldato
Currently on a custom loop and @ 3.9 highest temp I've seen that it sits at is 40c with the occasional spike to 50c for less that a second, idle is between 28-35c depending how hot my room is. I'd go with a decent tower cooler.

Soldato
What Randall8686 said, a good air cooler is all you need. Air is quieter, last longer and cools as well as CLC for less money. Even a small air cooler like H7 GinG is using is enough. I prefer bigger coolers. but then I prefer cases using 140mm fans so coolers using 140mm fans fit nicely too.

Associate
The x models have the temperature offset
The non X report normal temperatures
Or I hope so
Ryzen 1700 3.9ghz 1.42v noctua nhu 14s 30idle 70load
Ryzen 1700 3.9ghz 1.34v 8Pack Asetek 570LX 240mm 35 idle 63 load
Idle temps are high on sencond system but in load are ok on 1200rpm pump 1100rpm fans
The voltage difference on the systems
Dose not relate to a lot more power consumption
200w compared to 220w from wall under sintetic load

Associate
using a cryorig A40 ultimate 240 X 38.5 mm rad with coolermaster jetflo fans in a push pull config. 1700 O/C to 3.9 @ 1.325v doesn't get over 55C encoding video and fans are set not to go over 50%. It is quiet. my previous air cooler (deepcool gammaxx 400) was good but loud.

Soldato
Running the stock 1600 cooler with cpu @3.8hz not problems at all but I will be upgrading to the new EK AIO or the Corsair 360 AIO when it comes out.

The stock cooler is great, the only reason I changed to a Cryorig H7 was the stock cooler was making an annoying buzzing noise in an all but silent case when not gaming. Whilst temps are slightly better using the H7 the noise difference is substantially better.

Associate
Had my 1600 a week or so now.
Using the stock cooler, does have a little whine but its ok.
My overclock is 3.9 @ 1.36v. Gaming the highest temp im getting so far is about 70*c
Im still messing with adjustments coz its a bit different o/clocking compared to my old intel set up.
I will keep the stock cooler for now, in fact i may not change it at all !!

Associate
havent tweeked mine yet just set ram settings to 3200, but with mastercooler 240 lite temps are 32 just browsing and around 44-46 on shadow of war which i dont think is too bad.
i have fought about overclocking, but unsure weather to wait until year gaurantee is up and then do it, but also as i have never overclocked before i dont wanna make a mistake

Back
Top Bottom