What could be wrong with my Xbox 360?

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Hadn't played the 360 for a while so I switched it on last night to play some Splinter Cell. Tried to sign into Xbox Live and it prompted me for an update. I set the update off and left it for an hour. Came back and the screen was black but the Xbox still running. Eventually had to turn it off.

Now when I connect it to the monitor (iiyama E431S via VGA) it says signal out of range and goes black again.

I tried it with another monitor (AG Neovo K Widescreen via VGA) and it says no signal being received.

I've tried 2 VGA cables, the official one and another one and still no change.

I've got no red lights or anything and can't think what it can be. I've fired off an email to Xbox support but does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Jet

Jet

Soldato
OP
Just checked and it works on a SD TV ok so it must be the monitor.

Is the Neovo K-A19 compatible with Xbox 360?

Specs here:

http://www.agneovo.com/uk/products/k-a19.htm

WXGA 1440 x 900 is the res of the monitor. I now know the Xbox 360 doesn't support 1440 x 900 but should it not adjust rather than say no signal being received?

Might have to send this monitor back...

Associate
could be the update just changed some settings in the system tab so it is not outputing the same vga signal have a look on your sdtv

Jet

Jet

Soldato
OP
RobertN said:
could be the update just changed some settings in the system tab so it is not outputing the same vga signal have a look on your sdtv

I did and I have no options in the resolution tab. I assumed this was because I was on a SD TV. The only option was widesreen or not.

Associate
copied from elsewhere

1. Turn on connector from hdtv to normal tv
2. Load desktop up and move to settings
3. Go into settings/screen/pal settings and change to 60hz
4. Switch off 360, turn connector back to hdtv
5. Turn 360 back on and away u go.

in more detail here

For VGA cables

To set your Xbox 360 console to PAL 60 Hz, follow these steps:

Use an Xbox 360 Composite AV Cable or an Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable. To do this, follow these steps:
Turn off the Xbox 360 console.
Remove the VGA cable, and then connect the Xbox 360 Composite AV Cable or the Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable that came with your Xbox 360 system.
Connect the console to the TV, and then make sure that you set the HDTV switch on the AV connector to TV.
Configure the console to use PAL 60 Hz. To do this, follow these steps:
Turn on the Xbox 360 console.
In the Xbox Dashboard, select System, and then press the A button.
Select Console Settings, and then press the A button.
Select Display, and then press the A button.
Select PAL settings, and then press the A button.
Select PAL-60, and then press the A button.
When you are prompted to keep these new settings, confirm the settings, and then press the A button.
When you are prompted to keep these new settings, confirm the settings, and then press the A button.
Connect the VGA cable again to play the game.
For more information on this issue see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913442

Last edited:
Soldato
Jet said:
Hadn't played the 360 for a while so I switched it on last night to play some Splinter Cell. Tried to sign into Xbox Live and it prompted me for an update. I set the update off and left it for an hour. Came back and the screen was black but the Xbox still running. Eventually had to turn it off.

Now when I connect it to the monitor (iiyama E431S via VGA) it says signal out of range and goes black again.

I tried it with another monitor (AG Neovo K Widescreen via VGA) and it says no signal being received.

I've tried 2 VGA cables, the official one and another one and still no change.

I've got no red lights or anything and can't think what it can be. I've fired off an email to Xbox support but does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

just found this at microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907603

and this also

http://www.the-agent.net/blog/2006/11/resetting-vga-resolution-and-screen.html

Last edited:

Jet

Jet

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies.

I don't have PAL settings when connected to the TV and as far as I know I don't when connecting to the monitor, going off those guides and the sounds.

Also when connected to the TV it says the settings for my display are PAL-50 and it has GMT+9 Adeleide or something. Despite the fact the system time is set to GMT in the clock settings :s

I'm starting to think it's the Xbox that's broke. I've reset the display loads of times to 640 by whatever it is and it still won't work.

Gonna ring Microsoft I reckon. Thanks for the help though.

Back
Top Bottom