what could GTA4 borrow from it's clones

Soldato
Been playing saints row a bit and I must admit that whilst GTA is still the Daddy, there are a few bits and bobs which it could borrow from it.

I like the way that when you walk into a mission marker thingy you have to press a button to activate it - this especially annoyed me in San Andreas as it was quite easy to walk into your wardrobe again after you just left it and it takes you straight back in without the courtesy of asking first!

I also like the way you can modify vehicles but actually recall them again and get them repaired - it seemed a bit pointless doing any vehicle mods in San Andreas as you inevitably would write the car off within a few minutes and it was just a waste of cash!

Can anyone else think of things from previous clones like The Getaway, Streets of LA/NY, Mafia etc, which could enhance the GTA experience? Aftrer all, these games borrowed enough from GTA so maybe Rockstar are entitled to take a little back ;)

Soldato
Mafia did the on-foot combat much better than the GTA series. It had loads of mission where you went inside buildings and complexes and had big shootouts, it was more like playing Max Payne. The combat in GTA has always felt a bit ropey in comparison.

The main limitation of GTA type games though is the way traffic is generated in realtime as you drive round. It's like theres a 200 yard wide bubble that folllows you round and nothing exists outside it. So you'll drive past a cool car, turn round and it's gone. Or no matter how many cops you take out, you know it's just gonna generate some more round the next corner. I doubt GTA4 will fix this though.

Soldato
After you play saints row and go play a GTA game, you will be shocked at the auto aim on GTA. the aiming system on saints row is spot on and the controls feel a little tighter as well. Thats my main gripe.

Soldato
OP
fish99 said:
Mafia did the on-foot combat much better than the GTA series. It had loads of mission where you went inside buildings and complexes and had big shootouts, it was more like playing Max Payne. The combat in GTA has always felt a bit ropey in comparison.

The main limitation of GTA type games though is the way traffic is generated in realtime as you drive round. It's like theres a 200 yard wide bubble that folllows you round and nothing exists outside it. So you'll drive past a cool car, turn round and it's gone. Or no matter how many cops you take out, you know it's just gonna generate some more round the next corner. I doubt GTA4 will fix this though.
Yeah I liked Mafia, it was a refreshing change of pace.

I don't see why they can't fix the car spawning problem in GTA4 though as I always saw this as a limitation of the hardware available, i.e. lack of memory etc.!!! knowing how Rockstar like to push the boundaries of whats possible though I can imagine them putting a lot into this next game.

Associate
Mafia also had really deformable cars - i.e. you could pretty much put a dent anywhere with your baseball bat. Hitting a wall at a fairly high speed appeared to do realistic damage.

Associate
Ragdoll/general physics (insurance fraud *** :D)
Aiming system
Modding cars/garage system
Better things to spend your money on
Being able to make the character look how you want

I know most of those things are in SR, but it had lots of good ideas that gta could do with 'borrowing'. The character creation system was cool and could be expanded upon, playing one guy in a story is ok but having him look how you want is better, the plastic surgeon in SR was a good idea.

More things to buy, and more places to visit. San Andreas had a lot of dead or open space that didn't add anything, perhaps a Sims-style option to do your house up, new furniture etc. Loads of things could be done with gta, its just time constraints and limitations.

Soldato
Proc said:
Being able to make the character look how you want

I don't think they should do that as it'd mess the story up, you can't have an asian looking character with a black/white man's voice over, Saints Row got around it by having the main character not speak.

They could have a plastic surgeon though but only small changes should be made.

Associate
Sirrel Squirrel said:
I don't think they should do that as it'd mess the story up, you can't have an asian looking character with a black/white man's voice over, Saints Row got around it by having the main character not speak.

They could have a plastic surgeon though but only small changes should be made.
Oh yeah, i mean if the story calls for the guy to be black, white etc then so be it. Its just it was nice to be able to choose in SR, i didn't really miss my guy not talking.

Soldato
OP
I think that saints row is nearer to being a next gen GTAIII than VC or SA. It's present day, your character doesn't talk, there's no bikes or air vehicles and it even has a potentious DJ on the Klassic FM station.

I like the way in Vice City Stories you can buy back your weapons with a bribe after being wasted or busted. It means you can really stock up on those weapons without fear of losing em all the time.

As long as they keep the GTA humour in the game I will be very happy ;)

Soldato
ScarySquirrel said:
RAGDOLL BABY!!!
Oh it'll have ragdoll physics. I have no doubts about that. What would be even better would be if they used some middleware that goes one step further than ragdoll physics and generates animations on the fly. There's an indiana jones game coming out with something like that. Basically rather than just flopping around when they die they will stumble around based on where they were hit and the environment around them.

Associate
Normal characters would make me want to play it. The thing I hate most is that all you can be is some yob, to have "yobs only" friends and the all womans are hookers. All this rap/bling doesnt appeal to me at all.

Associate
It's got a lot to pick up from crack down I hope ;)

Graphics that aren't disgusting, physics that aren't simplistic and predictable. Sound that isn't of *awful* quality.

I love the games, but they've really really been lazy - it best be a massive kick up the rear end otherwise I'll not be impressed. For all the money they have, if there's more than a few lines of code ported over from the earlier GTA's it's shameful :p

Back
Top Bottom