• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What crappy luck

Man of Honour
WTF has happened in here?

If your psu was the Powercool X-Viper 1000w that has been mentioned then that is a very low quality psu and the best place for it is the bin. If you are lucky it has only killed itself but these cheap psu's have a tendancy to kill other components when they fail. Hopefully the new psu which is a high quality unit, will be installed and everything works. In the meantime get that garbage psu out of your pc, cables included (never ever mix psu cables) and have a good clean of the fans etc while you are waiting. Don't be tempted to keep trying that psu as you will only make things worse.

Associate
Older PSU, despite claimed or real output, struggle with new CPUs and GPUs. Most common issue, apart from natural degradation, the amperes available at the 12V rail is the culprit.
So not just about total power, but PSU project is worthy checking.
3900x + 3090 was (under benchmarks, whole system) pulling about 500W from wall. Previous EVGA G2 750W Gold was plenty. The issue was the noise of the fan when on due to mounting it sideways.

Associate
OP
the weirdness continues.

New PSU arrived, still the same problem but slightly better. Switch doesnt work, but now jumping the atx starts the PC??

I think the crappy psu has blown something on the mother board. MB was ordered in Spetember. Now there little choice of x299 MB's about.

Any suggestions? RMA the MB?

Soldato
Take the motherboard battery out for 5 minutes and then put it back in or clear the CMOS using the button/jumper switch (this will reset your BIOS settings). Does this help?

Soldato
the weirdness continues.

New PSU arrived, still the same problem but slightly better. Switch doesnt work, but now jumping the atx starts the PC??

I think the crappy psu has blown something on the mother board. MB was ordered in Spetember. Now there little choice of x299 MB's about.

Any suggestions? RMA the MB?

take pastymunchers advice m8.

Associate
OP
Does it always work when you jump the power switch header on then board but not when then the power switch is connected? If so sounds like a faulty power switch.

Doesn't joining the switch pins momentarily on the mb header mimic the switch? If so ive done that and no joy, so rules out the switch?

Associate
OP
Does it always work when you jump the power switch header on then board but not when then the power switch is connected? If so sounds like a faulty power switch.

Jumping header doesn't work. I'm getting it running by jumping the cables on the atx power connector. Pin 16 power on and ground pin 15

Associate
Just to be clear, have you disconnected everything non-essential, flushed the power, pulled the CMOS battery and re-seated the CPU? If you've done all that then I would certainly be looking at the mobo as being at fault.

EDIT: Apols if you have done all the above, but I'm just going through all the steps I used to go through. If reseating the CPU does the trick then you're probably still looking at the motherboard, as I came across a few systems that acted up like that. Reseating the CPU would work for a bit, then it would fail again.

Associate
OP
Just to be clear, have you disconnected everything non-essential, flushed the power, pulled the CMOS battery and re-seated the CPU? If you've done all that then I would certainly be looking at the mobo as being at fault.

EDIT: Apols if you have done all the above, but I'm just going through all the steps I used to go through. If reseating the CPU does the trick then you're probably still looking at the motherboard, as I came across a few systems that acted up like that. Reseating the CPU would work for a bit, then it would fail again.

Yep, done all that. Even cleaned the cup and reapplied thermal paste.

Soldato
I'm having a crap time!!

After delivery problems, got a Suprim 3090 today, what a whopper!

This morning sat down and turned on the pc that has a 3070 in it. No power, nothing. Pressed the button, nothing. Checked the obvious, then jumped the pins on the ATX power connector and it jumped into life. Turned off, pressed power button again and it worked.

Messed about then the 3090 was delivered. Swapped the cards out, pressed the button, nothing. Jumped the ATX again, powered up but this time CPU not detected LED showing......no post.

Tearing my hair out on this build, its been one problem after another....

I think its the PSU so have ordered one for delivery tomorrow. Anyone got any suggestions to try?
I had something like this happen and it went on for about a year till i worked out it was a problem with the main 3 pin wall socket not connecting to the pins on the plug properly and was causing all sorts of boot errors

It was something i never would have thought of checking, I changed the PSU, PSU power cable, GPU, Memory, Disconnected & removed everything possible Etc Etc, took the whole PC apart and rebuilt it about 50 times :o

Last edited:
Soldato
So did you try putting the 3070 you had previously in it? That would rule out the 3090 being the issue. To be honest though it sounds like the psu gave up the ghost and took out the motherboard with it I've had that in the past with cheap psu's that literally went bang and nigh on took out the motherboard with it.

Without swapping out components its difficult to know for sure whats going on if you can beg steal or borrow spare bits to try out do so otherwise its one of those nightmare situations to deal with

Back
Top Bottom