What CSC for £500?

Associate
The only CSC worth anything is the Sony Nex. Nikon's stupidly small sensor and pretty much complete point and shoot controls ethos go against everything the CSC is about in my opinion. The M4/3 cameras are just getting long in the tooth these days; Panasonic haven't really brought anything to the table and the Olympus other than the OMD are a bit pants.

The EOS M looks like it might be ok, but the Canon fanboys I serve in the shop don't seem too impressed which says something. Apparently the focusing speed is far too slow (probably fixed in future firmware like the Fuji X series was).

The Nex-5n is the best bet if you can still find one, they were discontinued a little while ago, we've been selling them for £399 if you can track one down. The Nex-5r is the same camera with WiFi in, and about £650 :eek: The Nex-6 has a view finder, standard hot shoe fitting and a more SLR layout of controls but again comes in over budget (price eludes me at the moment). Those 3 cameras all use the Nikon D7000's sensor, so you know the quality is good.

Associate
Nikon's stupidly small sensor and pretty much complete point and shoot controls ethos go against everything the CSC is about in my opinion.

Super fast AF, the deep focus field and good performance at ISO3200 makes it very well suited for close quarters reportage work. Nikon are so close to creating a system that pros would want to shoot with, its a shame that it seems they're going down the consumer route with this.

Associate
Cool, thanks. We were looking at the Sony's. I'll try and find a 5n although there's no built in flash with that is there?

No built in, but the kit comes with a flash unit included. We have one in our store and there may be a couple of other shops on the group with them, but if you can grab one while this cheap you won't be disappointed.

Super fast AF, the deep focus field and good performance at ISO3200 makes it very well suited for close quarters reportage work. Nikon are so close to creating a system that pros would want to shoot with, its a shame that it seems they're going down the consumer route with this.

Autofocus is pretty fast, but that's the case for most CSCs as they've started using phase in the sensors (Sony's contrast is also amazingly quick ever since the A700). I've been tempted by the V1 and adaptor for my 300 2.8, but when I got my hands on it and realised that it's aimed at point and shooters rather than having real access to manual modes I lost interest. Shame really, having the equivalent field of view as a 1620mm f5.6 lens would have been pretty cool for me if they'd have done it properly.

Soldato
The nex 5n doesn't have hybrid AF, only the new 5r and 6 have it. Also it's not with all lenses yet, the 50 1.8 for example hasn't been updated :(

I've upgraded from 5n to 6 recently for the built in EVF and extra controls. It's a really sweet camera but I guess a bit out your budget as it's £660 imported with the new 16-50 powerzoom.

The 5n is a good little camera but the focus does struggle on any fast moving subjects like kids playing or in lower light, never really bothered me though for what I use it for. Most of the time I had manual focus adapted lenses strapped on to it.

The 4/3 cameras with the newer 16mp sensor are really good as well, it's Sony made and probably similar tech to the nex ones just a bit smaller. Olympus bodies give the best out of camera jpg quality which is important to a lot of people otherwise you're processing every picture in lightroom. The reports on nex 6 OOC jpgs is pretty damn bad but again doesn't bother me as I shoot raw.

Soldato
EPM2, same sensor as the OMD EM5, and can get an upgrade kit to add the 50-150 and the new lens cover lens for an additional £99. Very good image quality, very fast AF and has inbuilt stabilisation.

Caporegime
The Sony's are nice but as soon as you want a fast prime or a telephoto you suddenly end up with a huge camera setup again, you might as well just go for an entry model DSLR. Even the slow 18-55mm dwarfs the cameras. Limited lens choice to date

Nikon 1 are lighting fast in all aspects and the IQ is top notch given the sensor size. Entry level orientated bodies so far and not many lenses either.

M43, mature, plenty of lenses, some nice small fast primes. The older bodies are cheap but have relative poor IQ, the new models with the 16MP sony sensor appear to rock. with both Olympus and Panasonic making lenses, as well as 3rd party manufactures like sigma and SLR magic due to the more open standards, there should be plenty of lenses to come. They have now figured out how to make high quality lenses in small sizes. M43 got a lot more attractive in he last 6 months.

The rest are all a bit limited in some way, even if the cameras are nice. Samsung CSC line is very nice but how quijcly can they release new models and lenses? Same goes for Fuji X. The Canon M has an aging sensor and the so called hybrid Af with phase detection is really bad.

Soldato
Having had all 4 of the main CSC camera systems over the last few years I'd pick the M4/3 as my choice. Nikon 1 was a nice size AF was good but was disappointed with image quality and the handling. NEX 7 was a great camera let down by poor lens selection which made the cameras the same size as a DSLR. Samsung cameras were very very good again let down by poor selection of lenses. The OMD EM5 was a great camera and there are some great m 4/3 lenses just wanted something different from a camera so ended up with the D600.

If she doesn't need the changeable lenses have a serious look at the RX100, quality wise it's incredible, tiny and has a great lens, just not much reach.

Associate
The Sony's are nice but as soon as you want a fast prime or a telephoto you suddenly end up with a huge camera setup again, you might as well just go for an entry model DSLR. Even the slow 18-55mm dwarfs the cameras. Limited lens choice to date

Nikon 1 are lighting fast in all aspects and the IQ is top notch given the sensor size. Entry level orientated bodies so far and not many lenses either.

M43, mature, plenty of lenses, some nice small fast primes. The older bodies are cheap but have relative poor IQ, the new models with the 16MP sony sensor appear to rock. with both Olympus and Panasonic making lenses, as well as 3rd party manufactures like sigma and SLR magic due to the more open standards, there should be plenty of lenses to come. They have now figured out how to make high quality lenses in small sizes. M43 got a lot more attractive in he last 6 months.

The rest are all a bit limited in some way, even if the cameras are nice. Samsung CSC line is very nice but how quijcly can they release new models and lenses? Same goes for Fuji X. The Canon M has an aging sensor and the so called hybrid Af with phase detection is really bad.

There just is no comparison between sizes on the Sony's and DSLR's. they are just so much bigger and heavier however the bigger the lense of course the camera gets bigger but the same is true with a dslr.

Really you need to go and try a few out.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The Panasonic GX1 can be had pretty cheaply now and plenty of lenses available for M4/3. £500 would get you body with the standard 14-42 kit lens (not the power X lens) with maybe enough cash left over to get the 20mm prime as well.

But as said go try a couple out and see what you like.

Caporegime
There just is no comparison between sizes on the Sony's and DSLR's. they are just so much bigger and heavier however the bigger the lense of course the camera gets bigger but the same is true with a dslr.

Really you need to go and try a few out.

yeah, the cameras are tiny but the lenses are huge making a very unbalanced setup. As soon as you want something over 100mm on a Sony Nex you might as well just use a small DSLR.

Soldato
The Panasonic GX1 can be had pretty cheaply now and plenty of lenses available for M4/3. £500 would get you body with the standard 14-42 kit lens (not the power X lens) with maybe enough cash left over to get the 20mm prime as well.

But as said go try a couple out and see what you like.

Take the EPM2 over the GX1 as it has the newer Sony 16MP M4/3 sensor and in body stabilisation.

Back
Top Bottom