What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Mine died numerous times this weekend :(

After a cracking ride out to the Brecons, I was having a spirited ride along one of the more scenic roads - Sport mode on, revs around the 8-9k mark and....... engine dies! Power is still on, but the revs just die, and I have to coast the bike to a stop. No errors on the dash, no limiter hit (that's just over 10k)!

Won't start, so I turn it off and back on - starts fine. Decide to try and re-create the fault, to see it it's a one off or not - same issue! Even in the lesser Urban mode :(

Not 100% certain if the engine is running when it dies, as there's usually too much wind noise - but if it is, then it's certainly running quietly; which is hard with my loud pipe - so I'd say it's not. Having said that, when it died once, I was 'revving' the throttle and it almost sounded as if there was a lethargic rev happening; though nothing on the display.

I recently changed to some adjustable levers, and there's a microswitch within the clutch housing, that these new levers weren't triggering correctly - so it thought I was in neutral - the rev limiter then was around 8k, and there was a lot of over-run when pulling to a stop (noise and acceleration). I did managed to sort that, so the limiter was back to 10k, but whether this new engine death is related or not....

Next job is to re-fit the OEM levers and see how it is! If it's not the levers, I'm guessing that it *could* be a trapped fuel line maybe, and when there's extra demand at higher revs - it's being starved. Though, I would have expected an impact through the rev range if it were that.

Oh Ducati! Maybe I will trade you in.

Soldato
Hiya Ace, S21s bud, Bridgestone, fantastic rubber but would definitely go for something like SC2s or R11s next time.

I'm using the RS10's, amazing grip, predictable sliding, peel nicely on the edges etc but the center gets hard and slippy in no time. I'm struggling to clutch it up now without it spinning.

May try the Q3+ next for that tougher center

Soldato
Mine died numerous times this weekend :(

After a cracking ride out to the Brecons, I was having a spirited ride along one of the more scenic roads - Sport mode on, revs around the 8-9k mark and....... engine dies! Power is still on, but the revs just die, and I have to coast the bike to a stop. No errors on the dash, no limiter hit (that's just over 10k)!

Won't start, so I turn it off and back on - starts fine. Decide to try and re-create the fault, to see it it's a one off or not - same issue! Even in the lesser Urban mode :(

Not 100% certain if the engine is running when it dies, as there's usually too much wind noise - but if it is, then it's certainly running quietly; which is hard with my loud pipe - so I'd say it's not. Having said that, when it died once, I was 'revving' the throttle and it almost sounded as if there was a lethargic rev happening; though nothing on the display.

I recently changed to some adjustable levers, and there's a microswitch within the clutch housing, that these new levers weren't triggering correctly - so it thought I was in neutral - the rev limiter then was around 8k, and there was a lot of over-run when pulling to a stop (noise and acceleration). I did managed to sort that, so the limiter was back to 10k, but whether this new engine death is related or not....

Next job is to re-fit the OEM levers and see how it is! If it's not the levers, I'm guessing that it *could* be a trapped fuel line maybe, and when there's extra demand at higher revs - it's being starved. Though, I would have expected an impact through the rev range if it were that.

Oh Ducati! Maybe I will trade you in.
How old is the bike? This was very similar to the symptoms on my Tuono, it was a blocked filter (the strainer ''teabag" filter) which was causing the pump to overheat as the flow was restricted, which then caused the fuel to vaporise and with not enough fuel getting to the engine it would cut out or run terrible after a while.

It was worse on a hot day and/or on low fuel, as the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that surrounds it these 2 factors made it worse. If it does it again, straight away lift the fuel cap and turn on the bike so the pump primes and see if there's any bubbles coming from the filter area, mine was like a jacuzzi!!! The fuel return line was just dumping vapour into the tank when the pump was priming.

Soldato
Just dropped over £1200 on bike parts :(

Arrow headers, Translogic Quickshifter, Evotech levers, Evotech tail tidy and it'll cost somewhere around £400 for an ECU flash.

Soldato
How old is the bike? This was very similar to the symptoms on my Tuono, it was a blocked filter (the strainer ''teabag" filter) which was causing the pump to overheat as the flow was restricted, which then caused the fuel to vaporise and with not enough fuel getting to the engine it would cut out or run terrible after a while.

It was worse on a hot day and/or on low fuel, as the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel that surrounds it these 2 factors made it worse. If it does it again, straight away lift the fuel cap and turn on the bike so the pump primes and see if there's any bubbles coming from the filter area, mine was like a jacuzzi!!! The fuel return line was just dumping vapour into the tank when the pump was priming.

Thanks for the tip - I will give it a check next time.

Bike is 2013.

Soldato
Well, the VFR has been sold already! Guy came to look at it last night and picked it up tonight.

I was a little sad seeing it go, it's a great bike - was great to actually hear it properly, could still hear the V4 a good half a mile or so away :D:cool:

Got what I wanted money-wise too, nice and quick easy sale.

The money will be going towards a car for the odd winter commute of 2 miles each way, and general car duties, carrying mountain bikes to various trails around the UK and so-on.

Haven't owned a car since about 2008 so will be nice for a change!! I'll be looking for a Subaru Legacy 3.0 R Spec B estate if anyone's interested :D:o

Oh and I suppose I'd better get the Tuono MOT done at some point... :p

Soldato
And so the end begins.
Haha, I hope not!!

To be honest, even if I was still in my old job doing 35 miles a commuting, I reckon I had another 1, possibly 2 winters on a bike in me, I've ridden every winter since doing my CBT, 4 in total - my kit would have lasted another year but after that I'd be looking at new textiles, probably new boots as they've got close to 50k on them already - so that's £500 minimum. A car was always going to come eventually so having a job that's 2 miles away has just brought it a bit closer!

I'll admit I haven't ridden the Tuono yet this year, I'll be swapping over the insurance and i'll get the MOT done and get it taxed, so will be able to go for some short rides - I need to get the fork leg fixed but it's not a priority at the moment, the Tuono isn't going anywhere, trust me :D I still need to take it to the Alps - I'd love to do a 2-3 week holiday down there taking the Tuono on a trailer behind a car, with mountain bikes in the boot, stay in a single hotel and pick and choose whether I ride motorbikes or mountain bikes every day :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom