What did you do to your bike today?

Soldato
Managed to pick up a rear puncture in the Supercorsa - so I get to legitmately sack them off, gonig for a set of S22s to see how much better than the S21s I had on my Daytona, won't miss the clenchy bum moments on the SPs!

Did the 'clenchy bum moments' come about because of wet weather or just generally not happy with the Supercorsas?

As mentioned above I've got old Pilot Road 3's on my bike at the moment, not ideal for dry/hot trackdays really which is the main use of them so considering getting something new for the next trackday(s) (next week, Tuesday and Wednesday at Cadwell Park \o/)...

Actually gone and got a second set of wheels (off ebay, hopefully good though...) mostly because I'm thinking of trying the Metzeler 'Trackday' Slicks... But it's either that or a more performance oriented tyre but kinda still makes sense to have both so I can use the current tyres still in the wet sessions/days...

Soldato
Did the 'clenchy bum moments' come about because of wet weather or just generally not happy with the Supercorsas?

Wet - they're pretty much useless when it's raining :( Went to the Brecons recently, and had a fair few wheel slips - one corner in the Forest of Dean was the whole bike sliding towards the crown of the road :eek: They were the same on my 2018 RS - spinning up all over hte place, even with a decent amount of tread; though they only have a token amount!

Happy to sack them off - for the limited window they perform their best in, I'd rather grab myself something I can spank a bit in the cold/damp rides too. Went for a set of S22s this time around.

Man of Honour
oDjjpSw.jpg

I had found the standard kazoo horn to be ineffective when required so I fitted this. Holy **** it’s loud.

Along with the flashing aux lights it is as close to a guarantee you can get of making yourself seen. £35 for the horn and £21 for the wiring kit - bargain.

Soldato
Wet - they're pretty much useless when it's raining :( Went to the Brecons recently, and had a fair few wheel slips - one corner in the Forest of Dean was the whole bike sliding towards the crown of the road :eek: They were the same on my 2018 RS - spinning up all over hte place, even with a decent amount of tread; though they only have a token amount!

Happy to sack them off - for the limited window they perform their best in, I'd rather grab myself something I can spank a bit in the cold/damp rides too. Went for a set of S22s this time around.

Yeah, had them/earlier variants on my STR when I got it in 2011 and got rid of them when it got a puncture 900 miles later :p that's basically why I went for the Pilot Road 3's, needing to use it in all weather/seasons at the time...

Soldato
What. A. Pain. In. The. ***

Had a lovely new set of S22s fitted on Tuesday, the garage in Swindon were awesome, ordering in, and fitting the same day!

During my fitting, the garage told me about Bike-Seal, some fancy kevlar-esq solution that helps to automatically plug holes as you ride, whilst offering other benefits etc etc. I decided "what the hell" and duly agreed to have both tyres protected.

Somewhere between Tuesday's fitting, and getting the bike ready for a ride today, I managed to pick up a Phillips screw in my rear tyre! No worries I thought, and followed the garage's advice - pulling it out and carrying on riding; supposedly the magic solution would then use the rotational forces to help send fibres into the hole and plug it...

Checking when I got home, the bike (and my boots) were all covered in white goo, and the hold looked like it wasn't leaking - "yay" I thought and put her to bed.

This morning - the rear is below 20 PSI and as I'm putting air in, I can hear it hissing out, and upon inspection, I see white goo bubbling out. Ever the optimist, and not wanting to lose today's ride out, I jumped on the bike and took it out for a further 20 odd mile spin.

Did Bike-Seal work? Did it ****.

Lesson learned, I'll be back at the garage next week, and ask them to mushroom plug the hole, and maybe give me my £40 back for the so-called 'protection'.

Soldato

Had a lovely new set of S22s fitted on Tuesday, the garage in Swindon were awesome, ordering in, and fitting the same day!

During my fitting, the garage told me about Bike-Seal, some fancy kevlar-esq solution that helps to automatically plug holes as you ride, whilst offering other benefits etc etc. I decided "what the hell" and duly agreed to have both tyres protected.

Somewhere between Tuesday's fitting, and getting the bike ready for a ride today, I managed to pick up a Phillips screw in my rear tyre! No worries I thought, and followed the garage's advice - pulling it out and carrying on riding; supposedly the magic solution would then use the rotational forces to help send fibres into the hole and plug it...

Checking when I got home, the bike (and my boots) were all covered in white goo, and the hold looked like it wasn't leaking - "yay" I thought and put her to bed.

This morning - the rear is below 20 PSI and as I'm putting air in, I can hear it hissing out, and upon inspection, I see white goo bubbling out. Ever the optimist, and not wanting to lose today's ride out, I jumped on the bike and took it out for a further 20 odd mile spin.

Lesson learned, I'll be back at the garage next week, and ask them to mushroom plug the hole, and maybe give me my £40 back for the so-called 'protection'.

For what it's worth, avoid that stuff like the plague on bikes and cars. Many garages hate dealing with wheels with it fitted and I have heard of some refusing to touch wheels with it in, as they have to take their tyre fitting kit offline to clean it up after the mess it causes. More hassle than it's worth.

Man of Honour

I had the opposite experience when I ran it in the tyres of my old SV commuter, whipped the nail out rode it a couple of miles to the nearest petrol station to let it do it's sealing then topped up the air and then it was good as gold until the tire wore out.
Used to refill my tires every time I had them changed as it was my only form of transport back then and it certainly saved me more than once.

Transmission breaker
Don
CBR600F2067.jpg
I upset my local place and they had to charge me extra for dealing with the tyre goo on a bike I bought.
Was a real pain for them to sort/clean up.

Man of Honour
The 2 places I used for tires back then never even mentioned it, they did take the pee about the amount of grot on the outside of the rim but in the middle of winter I wasn't wasting time cleaning anything that didn't absolutely matter :o

Soldato
Well i just layed down my FZ. While stationary, on the sidestand. It fell on me too.

I'm fine, but my leg is killing. Bike dropped oil everywhere, scratched the lowers up and bent the shifter rod. Oil was everywhere, the bike eventually started back up.
But man my angle, worst part is, it was recorded on the work CCTV.

Gutted. Seems like even though its sendimental feels like its out to get me lol, everyone who has own it (All family) has fell off it.

Sigh. Not a great day. Bruised ego too. :(

Associate
Well i just layed down my FZ. While stationary, on the sidestand. It fell on me too.

I'm fine, but my leg is killing. Bike dropped oil everywhere, scratched the lowers up and bent the shifter rod. Oil was everywhere, the bike eventually started back up.

Gutted. Seems like even though its sendimental feels like its out to get me lol, everyone who has own it (All family) has fell off it.

Oh no mate, how did you manage that?!

Get your leg seen to, don't let these things fester, ask me how I know!

What FZ if you don't mind me asking?

Soldato
Oh no mate, how did you manage that?!

Get your leg seen to, don't let these things fester, ask me how I know!

What FZ if you don't mind me asking?
Its a 1989 2MG - There is a thread about it on here. :)

I stood it up on sidestand and went to type in a security code at work for the gate (Something i've done on all my bikes for 2 years) - It slid and into me as I tried to catch it, and got my leg.

Re-bent the shifter back to roughtly how it was. Fairing is a bit scuffed. :(

Leg is sore will see how it is tomorrow.

Man of Honour
Sold my YBR 125 today. I had the usual muppets asking my best price, offering to do me a favour with less than half the asking price to "do me a favour" and even one request to pay me in installments (sorry, I am not a shop :)). But it sold within a couple of days to the first person to view it. After the sale I found out it was his birthday today so the first day he can ride a 125 after doing his CBT on a 50cc. I hope he has a wonderful birthday.

I also had a motorbike shop mess me around. I had agreed to buy a T120 from them. After haggling we agreed on a price and I paid a deposit. I was then told the salesman was on holiday next week so I could collect the bike from 31st (wtf!?) I had also warned them early in email discussions that my bike might sell privately. But only after I had paid the deposit and I reminded him a second time that my YBR may or may not be traded in they said the price was only based upon me trading in mine and that the price without trade in would be £300 more expensive.

It may only be £300 and I could have afforded it to get the bike I wanted. But that annoyed the hell out of me as I had warned them early on during negotiations that I may sell the bike privately before getting to trade it in. The salesman said he hadn't noticed my email at the time. By the time I was told this the buyer for mine was already on their way over to mine. I really did not want to let them down, along with feeling like I had agreed a deal with the dealership and extra conditions had been imposed only after I had parted with a deposit. So I continued to sell my bike privately and told the dealer to refund my deposit. I do understand that they may have wanted to make a profit on my bike to help meet my offer price on their bike. But by not mentioning this as a condition of sale, especially as I had expliceitely told them I may not trade it in, made it feel it was smoke and mirrors to pretend I was getting a deal and then hoping I was too invested in the new bike to pull out. This was a Triumph main dealer too so it was very disappointing. No big deal though as there are thousands of bikes out there and I have cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

:(

Soldato
For what it's worth, avoid that stuff like the plague on bikes and cars. Many garages hate dealing with wheels with it fitted and I have heard of some refusing to touch wheels with it in, as they have to take their tyre fitting kit offline to clean it up after the mess it causes. More hassle than it's worth.

From seeing the inside, it is far less messy than the usual tyre ‘goo’ type products, there was very little for the garage to clean up; though it was only in there for a week, so who knows if it would have gotten worse.

I had the opposite experience when I ran it in the tyres of my old SV commuter, whipped the nail out rode it a couple of miles to the nearest petrol station to let it do it's sealing then topped up the air and then it was good as gold until the tire wore out.
Used to refill my tires every time I had them changed as it was my only form of transport back then and it certainly saved me more than once.

It was apparently the way in which the screw went into my tyre – rather than straight in, it when in at an angle, creating a bit more of a slit than a hole. The sealant kept trying to do its thing, but the garage suspected that the gash was rubbing (ooh err) as I rode, which ended up chafing the stuff out the hole.

The garage were fine about it, they removed the cleaned up the rear, than put a mushroom bung in it, and re-filled the sealant stuff for free. Just a shame that I lost a brilliant ride out last weekend, but hey ho.

I upset my local place and they had to charge me extra for dealing with the tyre goo on a bike I bought.
Was a real pain for them to sort/clean up.

Yeah, I can see why :D The Bike-Seal stuff looked like a thin coating of PVA, with hair in it – I was told that it was Kevlar fibres and tiny rubber balls; but it was nowhere near as messy as that purple bukkake!

Man of Honour
The nights are drawing in and I do a lot of my miles in the dark, so I added a second set of Denali D4 on the upper mounts. A few close calls with wildlife in the past have made me realise that a longer full beam throw would make it a lot safer. These things are damn bright. Through the cansmart the lower lights run as DRLs at 20% on low beam with the upper lights off. On full beam they both go to 100%.

Pyp4V2T.jpg

ejkL3an.jpg

Soldato
Not something I did to the bike per sae as per the thread title but these just arrived to replace my trusty old Alpinestars SMX Plus boots. They are SMX Plus V2's, seem just as well made as my old ones, probably squeak just as much and are a bit more up to date looks wise. Out tomorrow for a run of a decent distance to try them out. The SMX Plus V2 gets decent reviews with a lot of folk suggesting they are every bit as good as SuperTechs but a bit more street/road friendly :cool:

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Associate
1320-A207-7-CC8-49-A6-952-A-972-BC7840-CE9.jpg

Added the phone holder to my bike. Did 100 Miles and it didn't budge at all, really pleased with it!

F983-F5-A9-B5-CC-4-EDE-84-E2-714-D62-B484-D5.jpg

I've also hidden an Apple Airtag on the bike and removed the speaker that's inside it. So if it gets stolen I can track it and it won't alert the thief to the spot I've hidden it.

Back
Top Bottom