What did you do to your bike today?

Associate
I know I wanted to try it without witnesses first though :D

I've since met a few people into it locally so will be checking out some group things.

I took it very sedate and always with a "well paddling it down is undignified but I'm not gonna get hurt" approach.

I need to find a few more lanes that are more a nice walk but on q bike lol

Not anywhere near Aberystwyth are you? I know a fair few lanes in the area if you're ever local.

I added a new one to the stable today.
Suzuki DR800, with it's little brother the DR350 in the background, what a pair!
20211106-154447.jpg

I've got the original wheels as well but I think I'll keep the supermoto wheels on, going to be perfect for the local roads.
I don't think I've been more excited to ride a bike before! :D

Soldato
Rode into work today - surprising amount of grip to be had, considering just how horrid the roads are looking at the moment - temps read 3.5 degrees, so I was praising the heated grips!

Can't see me having the time or inclination to get any more pleasure rides in this year, so next on the list is to clean the old girl, and chuck her in the garage for hibernation :(

Transmission breaker
Don
I rode home in the dark from London the other day, and it made me realise my 94 CBR 600 has the WORST HEADLIGHT ever :D
Going to try putting in a bulb from my existing supply, but will probably end up getting something new/upgraded to make it a little nicer.

Soldato
I rode home in the dark from London the other day, and it made me realise my 94 CBR 600 has the WORST HEADLIGHT ever :D
Going to try putting in a bulb from my existing supply, but will probably end up getting something new/upgraded to make it a little nicer.

Sounds a bit like the light on the SV650 I had for a while - think they borrowed that from Florence Nightingale's lamp :D I can only praise the previous keeper of the current RS though, or Triumph, as it's bright white lights on all bulbs! Not that it helps much, as my eyesight if terrible in the dark.

Soldato
q2DUF82.png

Fired both up and let them idle for a bit, then shut them away again.
I really must finish off the RGV after the engine build and get some miles on the thing before it's too cold.
And finish painting the walls :D

Caporegime
SORN'd it until next year now. From using it as my only transport and commuting 100 miles a day in snow/ice/floods I've now become one of those people :D
You sicken me.

You know there's a place for people like you, the people who have slicks on their Road bikes? Who think knobs or sipes are for pussies?

Fair weather rider.

I said it!

Caporegime
Not anywhere near Aberystwyth are you? I know a fair few lanes in the area if you're ever local.

Suzuki DR800, with it's little brother the DR350 in the background, what a pair!
20211106-154447.jpg

I've got the original wheels as well but I think I'll keep the supermoto wheels on, going to be perfect for the local roads.
Oooooo if I didn't quote this already buckley is me!

Standard crf300l chain aprently rusts on sight with salt

Man of Honour
20211106-154447.jpg

The DR800 is an interesting bike. I regret getting rid of mine as it was a pretty pristine original which has shot up in value since. It was slow, rough, handled terribly, and was uncomfortable, but it was always a hell of an occasion to ride it. The noise was the best. The biggest problem with it was the shockingly dangerous brakes but it looks like you have addressed that!

Associate
The DR800 is an interesting bike. I regret getting rid of mine as it was a pretty pristine original which has shot up in value since. It was slow, rough, handled terribly, and was uncomfortable, but it was always a hell of an occasion to ride it. The noise was the best. The biggest problem with it was the shockingly dangerous brakes but it looks like you have addressed that!

Well I didn't address those but they're sorted.
Went for a shakedown ride in the wet and it ran and stopped fine so I booked it in for an mot.
The 40 mile round trip for that was also in the rain but the bike runs great, plenty of poke from low rpm and holds the road well, seems to smooth out about 70mph and just drops into corners effortlessly over the mountain roads. Currently awaiting nicer weather for a longer ride out.

I've ridden a DR350 and it was a pain to kick start sometimes. Please tell me the DR800 isn't kick start :p :D

The 350 used to be kick start only and it was a nightmare, a full rebuild and new carb and it'll kick over fine now. I did add a starter motor etc so best of bith now. The 800 is electric start thankfully, it'd take your leg off if it kicked back!
Interestingly they both sound the same, the 800 is just louder, obnoxiously loud :p

Soldato
And a fairy dies!

*coats h2sx in acf50 and screams in frostbite*

I have another bike, don't see the point of using the Fireblade on winter, as I bought it as a summer toy.

People that say they enjoy riding for fun middle of winter are just screaming: "Look at me, look at me, I'm so cool I can ride even if I'm freezing to death"

I ride on winter to go to places I need to be, not for fun.

Transmission breaker
Don
Indeed, that's the thing, a multi-biker parking one bike, is hardly the same thing as tucking them all away :D

I am keeping my NC23 off the road over the winter with the salt and crud on the roads, but my CBR600 is still out and about when I want to pop off somewhere on my own without the Mrs/Kids :)

Soldato
Been bikeless for the past 2 years and recently acquired this winter project, CB1300SA.

It's been sitting in storage unused for 3 years so needs some tlc.

Gave it a clean at the weekend, needs a full service, new exhaust and a right hand fairing panel, plus a few other bits.

Not my normal style of bike but the more I look at it the more I like it.

Can't wait to get back out in the spring!

FUJqFEW.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah you're probably right but I have zero history on the bike.

Mid clean I notice it's either had a very slow speed down or drop on the right hand side, the exhaust and engine casing has taken most of the brunt. The fairing around the indicator is all broken up too so I'm keeping an eye out on ebay for a new one.

6QaUzlf.jpg

Exhaust has a few scratches and a small crack, not sure if this is fixable but I suspect I'll need a new end can at the least.

ozyEcC4.jpg

The fork stanchions had slight corrosion which I've managed to remove with some fine wet & dry plus ACF50, the miracle purple goo. The red frame also has some paint wear through where boots have rubbed against it which will require some attention.

myA7H4T.jpg

I planned to siphon the old fuel out as no idea how long it's been in there but after cleaning and hosing down the bike I opened the filler cap to find a load of water around the filler rim which wasn't able to drain away as the drain hole was clogged up with crap. I unblocked it but not sure how much water got into the tank so going to err on the side of caution and just get rid of what's left.

I cant even turn the bike on at the moment as the battery is flatter than a roadkill hedgehog and my optimiser cant recover it so straight away a batter is in order.
I've used motobat in the past and they seem decent unless any one can advise another one?

It's a nice bike for sure, it looks shiny in the photos and it's in decent condition apart from the above, but in person you can tell it's a 15 year old bike. I'm just itching to get out on her :)

Associate
Oooooo if I didn't quote this already buckley is me!

Standard crf300l chain aprently rusts on sight with salt

Bit far north for my knowledge, closest I could offer is Happy Valley and the Horseshoe/******* Lane near Mach. The lanes thin out once you get further north in Snowdonia.

Back
Top Bottom