What do I need to achieve this?

Associate
Hi all,

When it comes to networking i havent a clue.

Basically i have my PC in the living room and various devices around the house. All my movies and TV shows are stored on an 8TB drive on PC. If i want to watch a movie on laptop upstairs or TV i put it on a flash drive an pop it in.

I want a device to store all my movies/shows that I can leave on 24/7 and be able to play from any other device in the house wirelessly/wired.

Im seeing NAS/Microserver/Plex box/HTPC all being thrown around.

The TV is 1080p but 4k could be an option down the road.

Help would be appreciated to inform me what I need.

Thanks

Associate
I personally use a NAS and a firestick with Kodi installed for all my media and not had any issues. Fire stick is easy to move around too. Plex is an option with a NAS if you get a NAS that is capable of running a Plex server (Not all are)

Soldato
Also is building something to achieve this better than buying a pre built system?

Id probably go second hand.
You can get devices that can do exactly what you want, e.g. Synology NAS or Drobo etc etc or build something. Entirely up to your needs and budget.

Associate
I bought an old HP N54L micro server and it’s served me very well. 4 hard drives in it and enough grunt to stream 4K movies on Plex with no issues. Previously I had a Synology NAS. It was good for storage but struggled to run Plex.

Associate
+1 for Drobo. I know that the 5n will run Plex for you quite easily. Do you have a budget in mind at all?

Going second hand is fine, regardless of if its pre-built or custom built. The only thing I wouldn't go second hand on is hard drives, particularly mechanical ones. You never know what sort of state they're in.

Associate
+1 for Drobo. I know that the 5n will run Plex for you quite easily. Do you have a budget in mind at all?

Going second hand is fine, regardless of if its pre-built or custom built. The only thing I wouldn't go second hand on is hard drives, particularly mechanical ones. You never know what sort of state they're in.

Sorry I probably should of mentioned hdds wont be second hand lol. Ive done some digging and seen some recommended builds with Xeons and they look quite cheap. Ill keeo researching before i pull the trigger.