What do I need to achieve this?

Associate
Hi all,

When it comes to networking i havent a clue.

Basically i have my PC in the living room and various devices around the house. All my movies and TV shows are stored on an 8TB drive on PC. If i want to watch a movie on laptop upstairs or TV i put it on a flash drive an pop it in.

I want a device to store all my movies/shows that I can leave on 24/7 and be able to play from any other device in the house wirelessly/wired.

Im seeing NAS/Microserver/Plex box/HTPC all being thrown around.

The TV is 1080p but 4k could be an option down the road.

Help would be appreciated to inform me what I need.

Thanks

Associate
I personally use a NAS and a firestick with Kodi installed for all my media and not had any issues. Fire stick is easy to move around too. Plex is an option with a NAS if you get a NAS that is capable of running a Plex server (Not all are)

Associate
I bought an old HP N54L micro server and it’s served me very well. 4 hard drives in it and enough grunt to stream 4K movies on Plex with no issues. Previously I had a Synology NAS. It was good for storage but struggled to run Plex.

Associate
+1 for Drobo. I know that the 5n will run Plex for you quite easily. Do you have a budget in mind at all?

Going second hand is fine, regardless of if its pre-built or custom built. The only thing I wouldn't go second hand on is hard drives, particularly mechanical ones. You never know what sort of state they're in.

Associate
OP
+1 for Drobo. I know that the 5n will run Plex for you quite easily. Do you have a budget in mind at all?

Going second hand is fine, regardless of if its pre-built or custom built. The only thing I wouldn't go second hand on is hard drives, particularly mechanical ones. You never know what sort of state they're in.

Sorry I probably should have mentioned hdds wont be second hand lol. Ive done some digging and seen some recommended builds with Xeons and they look quite cheap. Ill keeo researching before i pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom